User Avatar Image

JAM: January Animation Month - Make 31 Animations In January

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

I have participated in NaNoWriMo and FAWM, and I wished there was a similar thing for my biggest love: animation. So, the JAM was born!

I know there's people here who enjoy making animations, so I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. I'll try it regardless if I have anyone joining me, but it would be a lot more fun to have other people joining in the fun. :)

I started up a simple page for the JAM on my website, here. Like the other challenges like this, it's just for fun, there's no prizes, and there's only one challenge: to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January. It doesn't have to be an animation a day, you can make as many animations a day as you want. The animation can be flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, animated gif or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It's up to you. Just remember the goal is to make 31 animations in 31 days, so use your own judgement so you don't burn yourself out.

So, anyone here feel like joining in on the fun? :D

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@thestalkinghead said: Molotov Wizard

If only real life could be like that. The world needs a wizard.

• I'm kind of late to the game it seems... I've been participating but didn't realize the forum was still active. Here is my entry for today:

03-until-the-phoenix-rises.gif

My first two entries are on my blog.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MisterWoodles said: I'm kind of late to the game it seems... I've been participating but didn't realize the forum was still active. Here is my entry for today:

I didn't update the JAM info page with information on this year's January Animation Month until well into the first of January, so it's understandable. And, thanks for joining up and joining in. :)

I’m planning on making a commercial adventure game based on my Jenni comic, so I’m going back to the comics with copyrighted characters and replacing them with public domain characters and my own characters to be on the safe side. So, here's my newest animation: an animated gif of Gus the Bear doing a parody of the bee taunt.

gustaunting.gif

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Here's my third JAM animation for 2013. This is the next character that I changed for my comic as it was originally a copyrighted character. I was originally thinking of making the fictional animal something like a unicorn, but then I realized that there are multiple bearalopes out there. This one is influenced by Graham Annable's bearalope from his webcomic Dank (of course! I love that comic and miss it :(), the Boonville Bearalope, and my bear character Gus.

2013_jam_3__jenni_riding_a_bearalope_by_

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

My latest animation for the 2013 January Animation Month is of Captain Hook in the portal between dimensions. This is the last of the replacements of copyrighted characters for my webcomic that I can do without changing the text bubbles. I’m not sure what to do about those.

2013_jam_3__hook_portal_by_jennibee-d5ql

• Day 6 of Animation Month... Day 3 of trying to learn Anime Studio. I actually like this one, even if my idea was something bigger:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtkUbIcD1M

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MisterWoodles said: Day 6 of Animation Month... Day 3 of trying to learn Anime Studio. I actually like this one, even if my idea was something bigger:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtkUbIcD1M

I like it too, and you're learning a new animation program, which is a great for your JAM time. :) That reminds me of what I wanted to do last year, using Disney Animation Studio for an animation for JAM (I made my first animation using that, when I was 13 or 14, which is about 20 years ago now (wow, I can't believe it's been that long). I think I will use it for this year's JAM for one animation, for nostalgia's sake.

Here's my fifth animation for the 2013 January Animation Month challenge. I'm still trying to sort out public domain characters for my webcomic. The latest batch is a bit trickier than the last because I'm going to have to change the word bubbles as there are references to those copyrighted characters I'm replacing and their character traits.

I'm trying to keep the general plot of the comics the same though. This one required a time traveler, and the first public domain one that came to mind was H.G. Wells' Time Machine, so here we are. :)

2013_jam_5__h_g__wells_in_his_time_machi

Add Comment