User Avatar Image

TWD crash on connecting

posted by halldorr on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Picked up a copy of TWD for my wife on Steam as I loved the game but she just can't play the damn thing. We have identical computers as far as hardware goes and it ran just fine for me.

Here are the things we've pulled from the forums and tried so far:

1) Played with compatibility sittings, tried them all but no luck
2) Set run as administrator, no luck, set to all users, no luck
3) Tried replacing a DLL here and there as suggested, no luck
4) We don't have controllers but we pulled all USB stuff one by one, no luck
5) Disable internet connection - this appeared to work

Is there a fix to this? I'd like her to be able to play as the game intended and have the Steam sync work properly for her without having to always disabling her internet connection.

We're both on Windows 7 64bit and we connect tot he web through a home router. Seems odd that it would crash on connecting but that is where we seem to have an issue every time.

151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Niether of these have worked. still gets to same point and crashes.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I just had one more crazy idea. Does it also crash if you unplug the cable from your router to the internet?
    That could narrow down if it's actually an internet issue, or being in a network in general.

I can see why it's not fixed yet, as hard as it seems to track down. You were really helpful in the process. Since you freshly installed Windows multiple times in between I can only develop theories consistent with that.

Things that did not change as far as i know are:
    - Your Windows Version (If you have an XP, that's worth a test in the VM)
    - Your Hardware (Well, hard to change, but again the VM might be a good test)
    - Your Steam Account (Could be some weird configuration issue in the account of the affected users)
    - Your Network Environment (Maybe some device in the network causes the problem)

That's the last things i can think of that could be experimented with.

• If i unplug any connection to internet (It doesn't really matter where, either wan connection from router on or directly between my PC and router - Just the fact there is no internet connection at all)

I have no time to play with VMWare today so i will be forced to give it a shot tomorrow after work (And i'll be home earlier)

Might try it on one of my work PC's as well XD but they are really pieces of junk so i doubt they'll even meet the min requirements any ways. I'll download Windows XP by the night and try it on VMWare tomorrow (Also will try to install my own windows on VMWare)

Thanks for the devotion man

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@perilomo said: If i unplug any connection to internet (It doesn't really matter where, either wan connection from router on or directly between my PC and router - Just the fact there is no internet connection at all)

That was not a complete statement. Does it work or crash under these conditions?

• My mistake =O

Sorry for the lazyness! I have just unplugged my wan connection from the router (Which made my PC be still connected to the router, but having no internet at all) and it still crashed. Which means that something in the interaction of the game with any LAN interface would basically crash the game.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@perilomo said: Which means that something in the interaction of the game with any LAN interface would basically crash the game.

Good info, that's consistent with us seeing nothing meaningful in Wireshark.
    Now the next question would be, if it only happens if the PC is connected to that router, or also with any other hardware.

Do you have any other device you can plug the Ethernet cable in?

There should be no WiFi connection at the same time, so it's best to even turn off the router.

• My only options would be :

1) Turn my own router as a bridge (So it acts as a modem only) and not use a dailer.
    2) Bring in a modem that is no router by default
    3) Bring in another router and try the same thing.
    4) I have ordered a new Ethernet external card yesterday, so it'll be arriving within the next few days. So i will have 2 "Local Area Connection" . Will see if it has anything to do with the interface itself (Even though the fact i use an external USB for wireless already false this statement, but then comes in the fact the game doesn't like extra USB devices - So will try it out with a whole different hardware in the ethernet field)

Unfortunately not today already as it's 1 AM - And work tomorrow morning again so i am very sorry but will have to do the first three steps after work tomorrow and the whole thing will have to wait till then

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@perilomo said: Unfortunately not today already as it's 1 AM - And work tomorrow morning again so i am very sorry but will have to do the first three steps after work tomorrow and the whole thing will have to wait till then

Alright, sleep well.

I like how motivated you are in testing stuff.

I just had another idea for a test.

You can keep your wired network connected, and manually set it to an IP address of a different subnet than the router. That way they are connected, but can not communicate above Layer 2.

@perilomo said:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138

An example based on your network info from above.
    You can manually set it to
    IP Address 10.0.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0.
    in the Network Adapters IPv4 Settings and try if the game crashes.

You won't have any network access with that setting.

That test could show if the crash is caused by the Network Adapter being active and configured at all and/or by some communication that goes on below layer 3.

• Just now have configured IP manually in Ethernet adapter to be at 10.0.1.1 while default gateway was 10.0.0.138 and game started, skipping the "Connecting" part.

Will try tommorow change my LAN IP all together in the router to 10.2.1.1 and see if changes anything. Also will try with a DG on same segment but none existant (aka ip is 10.0.1.1 and DG as 10.0.1 254 but have nothing connected with that ip)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's great.
    Basically we have disabled all IP communication from the network device, and the game works.
    Now what happened on the network when only the WAN was unplugged and it still crashed?
    That's something i would love to see in a wireshark log. Without WAN the distracting traffic to the internet will not be in there too.
    You can PM it to me of course.

Also, are any other Devices connected to the router than the PC?

Add Comment