User Avatar Image

Are the days of point-n-click over at Telltale?

posted by Sance on - last edited - Viewed by 208 users

Hi!

In recent Telltale games like Jurassic Park and The Walking Dead there seem to be less and less of the traditional point-n-click adventure game elements. While The Walking Dead is a great game I would be happy to see more games from Telltale with more "adventure game" and less "interactive movie" in them. Is there a chance for this to happen?

13 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm really quite curious what's coming next. They haven't announced or shown anything of any other projects since TWD started coming out...

  • I'm sure the upcoming King's Quest revival will be closer to a conventional point-and-click. And how Fables will play like is anyone's guess.

    But yeah, I agree it's sad how it's been so long since Telltale's done a point-and-click adventure game. Hopefully they'll return soon.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @LuigiHann said: I'm really quite curious what's coming next. They haven't announced or shown anything of any other projects since TWD started coming out...


    We do have an idea of what's coming up (the titles and franchises at least, we don't know what the game mechanics will be like).

    They re-announced Fables at the New York Comic Con. They also announced King's Quest back in 2010 with the original announcement of Fables, and they announced The Walking Dead Season Two as season one was finishing up.

    Christopher Lloyd also said that he signed on to do more episodes of Back to the Future from Telltale (at the FanExpo convention in Canada), although Telltale hasn't officially announced that game yet.

  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    @RAnthonyMahan said: I'm sure the upcoming King's Quest revival will be closer to a conventional point-and-click.

    My thoughts. Since Kings Quest is a traditional point-and-click series (Mask of Eternity excepted), I'd be very surprised if they didn't make the new one in a similar style.

  • The problem is I lost every bit of confidence they can pull it off. I want certain things from Kings Quest. I want a manual save feature and no auto-saves. I want the game to force me to load an older file after a death and not just set me back 10 seconds. I want bad puns and I want to be frustrated a little bit. And I know I will not get any of these things. That's just not how the games by TT work.

  • @Jennifer said: We do have an idea of what's coming up (the titles and franchises at least, we don't know what the game mechanics will be like).



    Yeah, that's what I mean, we've seen nothing of those titles since they were announced, and we've seen and heard nothing of anything since TWD started. It's more disconcerting than usual because of the vector of change in their output since, say, Wallace and Gromit started them in that direction.

    I have faith that they could make a traditional point and click game again if they chose, but I feel no assurance that they will.

  • @der_ketzer said: The problem is I lost every bit of confidence they can pull it off. I want certain things from Kings Quest. I want a manual save feature and no auto-saves. I want the game to force me to load an older file after a death and not just set me back 10 seconds. I want bad puns and I want to be frustrated a little bit. And I know I will not get any of these things. That's just not how the games by TT work.




    speaking of which, wasn't there a king's quest fan-made game a few years back?

    never got to try it, was it any good? Last I heard they were being sued by vivendi (or whoever held the rights at the time)

  • User Avatar Image
    Syd

    It has indeed been a while since they've made a conventional point-and-click, and I've also had that thought in the back of my mind that they're trying to move away from the genre, though I hope that the approach they've used for games such as TWD is just what they plan on using for more mainstream mass-appeal licenses, while the games made with more niche-ish adventure game licenses will stick to the sort of gameplay that's associated with them.

    I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how they handle King's Quest, though I imagine they'll have to make it a more traditional adventure game, lest they invoke the rage of King's Quest fans.

  • @Syd said: I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how they handle King's Quest, though I imagine they'll have to make it a more traditional adventure game, lest they invoke the rage of King's Quest fans.



    There's plenty of fan rage just over the idea of Telltale thinking that they could even consider making a King's Quest game. Doesn't take much to wind up the more rabid parts of that community.

  • @Syd said: It has indeed been a while since they've made a conventional point-and-click, and I've also had that thought in the back of my mind that they're trying to move away from the genre, though I hope that the approach they've used for games such as TWD is just what they plan on using for more mainstream mass-appeal licenses, while the games made with more niche-ish adventure game licenses will stick to the sort of gameplay that's associated with them.

    I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how they handle King's Quest, though I imagine they'll have to make it a more traditional adventure game, lest they invoke the rage of King's Quest fans.



    I have my doubts about King's Quest: I'm confident that TTG could pull off a great game in the series but we've not heard a thing about KQ since the announcement. I have feeling that game could already be cancelled.

    It would be great to see a second season of Back to the Future or Tales of Monkey Island and however I admit that I've gotten a bit tired of Sam & Max after 3 seasons, the Devil's Playhouse was so great I'd be happy to revisit that universe again. There's one thing I would be super excited about though: Telltale making az original IP along the traditions of conventional adventure games. TWD seems very successful in the more mainstream territory so let's hope they'll make enough money to actually fund a project like that.

    I have to admit though that the success of TWD also worries me a bit: maybe if the company thinks that big money lies in that gameplay style they'll start making similar games just to cash in. I really hope that won't be the case.

Add Comment