User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 183.5K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @StrongBrush1 said: The American Health System in a nutshell.

You realize he lives in England, right?

• Well, since we're headed for a healthcare system similar to England's, he's not far off...

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I've been to the PIXAR exhibition in Bonn today.

A few very nice exhibits - including a stroboscopic "carousel" that demonstrates animation principles with Toy Story puppets. Any exhibits that were actually originals made me gasp with awe (and there were quite a few of Tia Kratter's acrylics; I have never heard of her before, but hope to become an expert before February dawns ;) ).

Still, disappointments weren't scarce. The "Brave" part was almost nonexistent, almost all digital/reproductions, and not_one of Purcell's works. I do admire the digital work as well, but don't see the need to step into a museum for them, to be honest. And as a [wannabe] artist, I was appalled at the dilettantism of the German translator, who kept mistranslating the materials used.*

* "Pencil" was always translated as "Bleistift", even though it was apparent that colored pencils ("Farbstift") were used. "ink" was always translated as "Tinte", although "Tusche" would have been correct in most instances. "Marker" was translated as "Filzschreiber", which was the most appalling of the mistakes. The correct German word is also "Marker", denoting the alcohol-based variety, while only the water-based markers used by children in Germany are called "Filzschreiber".

• Yup. Sinus infection.
    Just like me dear papa had.

Half my face is in pain. Lots of pain.
    Definitely gotta go to the docs tomorrow.

It sucks. Being ill on your birthday.
    It ssssuuuuuuuuuucckkkkssss!

Oh well! Could be worse I guess.
    I mean I don't have to work at least! XD

Edit: and then, 25 mins later, the pain has subsided for a while.
    It'll be back though... -_-

• I really fucking hate Honey Boo Boo.

• Rereading the book you write and editing is far more challenging than writing it.

• @DAISHI said: Rereading the book you write and editing is far more challenging than writing it.

Really? I've had the opposite experience.

• @Avistew said: Really? I've had the opposite experience.

I like the writing process. I was burning 12-14 thousand words a day there for a while. Rereading it just seems tiring, lol.

• How the hell am I going to smooth this animation out without having to hand-draw like 40 frames for every hallway dolly cycle. Maaaaan. I'm off to bed.

lvk.gif

• @DAISHI said: I like the writing process. I was burning 12-14 thousand words a day there for a while. Rereading it just seems tiring, lol.

You also have to make sure you remembered to write everything. If you think you remembered to write the scene where it is revealed Jim Bob is a zombie alien who beams down from a flying saucer, but actually forgot to include it, the reader is going to be puzzled at Jim Bob's behavior.

@DAISHI said: How the hell am I going to smooth this animation out without having to hand-draw like 40 frames for every hallway dolly cycle.

Most of those things are done by computer these days, so you make the machine do the hard work. If you go back in time prior to computers, animators had to make sure their scenes matched exactly enough that they could run them in a loop, maybe 4 to 8 pictures to complete the loop. Lots of measuring, and usually lots of straight lines, as those are easier to scale.

This discussion has been closed.