User Avatar Image

Give idea, get story (now with 20% more Haggis!) - Update: Hardback cover book

posted by Haggis on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Hi everyone, I know I haven't been here in, like, forever, but I've got something that may be of interest. Basically, you give me an idea (a subject, setting, a few lines), and I write a story for you!

If you want to get an idea of what I mean, you can find two sample stories (ideas courtesy of SilverWolfPet) here: http://bouffonbooks.com/2011/09/28/introducing-bouffon-stories/

Enjoy, and feel free to ask for a story in this thread! :D

244 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Great job with the Western of sorts! :)

I'm trying to think of a Jewel Friedman idea, but it's hard to think of something outrageous enough that hasn't already been done.

• I've just realised how this thread could be justified as Telltale content - perhaps TT could make a Jewel Friedman Point-and-Click adventure!

• @WarpSpeed said: I'm trying to think of a Jewel Friedman idea, but it's hard to think of something outrageous enough that hasn't already been done.

No worries - if you think of something, great! If not, don't force it. I'm already very grateful for all these lovely ideas you people are lobbing at me! :)

@WarpSpeed said: I've just realised how this thread could be justified as Telltale content - perhaps TT could make a Jewel Friedman Point-and-Click adventure!

Where do I sign? :D

• @Haggis said:

Where do I sign? :D

That would be totally fantastic on so many levels.

• Ladies and gentlepeople, I present to you... a new Jewel Friedman mystery!

http://bouffonbooks.com/2012/12/29/sockpuppetry-a-jewel-friedman-mystery/

This is probably the last story I'll write this year, after which I'll compile the best Bouffon Stories into an anthology, and the 5 Jewel Friedman stories into a separate anthology of their own. Both e-books will be available for $ 0.99, but I'll make sure the people who contributed ideas will get a copy for free, if they want one.

Finally, thanks everyone for a lovely year of stories, I hope the next one will be even better!

• Two rather fitting uses for the Metal anthem. Well written (reminded me too much of a rather topical dead man aftermath in the British media at the moment) but your seeming bunny-from-a-hat conclusions seem now to be following a pattern, to the point where they're predictable. You have no red herrings in your tales. I have no idea how this can be solved in short stories, though. I gave you 4 stars rather than the usual 5 because I did still think it very good.

• @tbm1986 said: your seeming bunny-from-a-hat conclusions seem now to be following a pattern, to the point where they're predictable. You have no red herrings in your tales. I have no idea how this can be solved in short stories, though. I gave you 4 stars rather than the usual 5 because I did still think it very good.

Thanks! I agree about the predictability, that's a bit of a problem... I think part of it is because I only have one plot twist (because the stories are so short). When you know the story isn't over yet, you just know that the apparent solution is actually not the real solution at all, because it's still a while before the end.

It's not a problem I have a simple solution to though. I also have it when reading detective novels, or when I watch an episode of Poirot or Monk, for instance. I hope that the comedic elements and the story itself can offset it a little - I don't want to throw in too many red herrings, since the stories are more in the cosy mystery genre than truly mind-boggling puzzles.

That said, another option would be a novel-length story, and that's something I definitely want to do after I finish writing my current book (the sequel to Struglend Tales). I could throw in some more red herrings and plot twists that way, as well as develop the characters better.

• If anyone still wants to donate/put in a pre-order for Mothered, do hurry, because there's less than a week left!

http://www.indiegogo.com/mothered

Add Comment