User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You all keep using the acronym "TT" instead of "TTG". It's bothering me.

You say "TT" and it reminds me of the ignorant people who confuse Traveller's Tales (developer of the LEGO games)
    R8KNC.gif

for Telltale Games.
    qBgNi.jpg

I'm not saying you're confusing the companies. I'm saying TT is not Telltale Games' official acronym.

EDIT: Also, many are saying that TTG's KQ isn't and won't ever be made, but my question is: are there any projects that they said they'd work on that they ended up entirely not doing so? I know there is a long list of things left undone from various games (ie. Bone episode 3, NutriSpecs, downloadable Earl-Boen-voiced TOMI chapter 1, etc.) but I don't think they've neglected a project entirely.

Granted, there's a first time for everything.

• It may just be out of their hands.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    exo

for christs sake chryon. Every bloody person here (on the Telltale forums) knows that TT = Telltale. If you need a friggin G added to the end to know I am referring to TellTale and not Travelers Tales, then you have been playing too many damn lego games. I really don't care if my abbreviation reminds you of another company that has nothing to do with these forums. Nor do I care if I am using their official acronym. If the acronym police show up (not the community watch that you seem to be a part of), I'll handle it. It is sad this forum has devolved into lectures on the official acronym of Telltale.

Back to the conversation, I always suspected one reason they tried the chapter system in KQ7 was for try to appeal to people who got stuck. Rather than having to actually solve the puzzle, they could say "screw it", and jump to another section. However, that makes about as much sense as reading a book, not knowing what a word means, and just skipping to the next section. But if it sold an extra copy of the game, then Ken says YES! It must take all the willpower in the world for him to stay away from the facebook casual games market.... if he had thought of microtranscations back then, you can bank on the fact that Cedric would have happily taken your credit card info in return for suggestions such as, "OOOOO Graham, Might want to save that pie for later...."

Either way, using KQ7's chapter system as an example to defend the use of chapters within a new game is nonsensical. That's like using crystal pepsi to defend soft drinks as a whole.

I am still completely baffled by the previous suggestion that KQ6 had chapters.... but I assume if I actually knew the reason I would just be disappointed in humanity. Luckily chryon has already fulfilled my disappointment in humanity meter for the day.

• @exo said: for christs sake chryon. Every bloody person here (on the Telltale forums) knows that TT = Telltale. If you need a friggin G added to the end to know I am referring to TellTale and not Travelers Tales, then you have been playing too many damn lego games. I really don't care if my abbreviation reminds you of another company that has nothing to do with these forums. Nor do I care if I am using their official acronym. If the acronym police show up (not the community watch that you seem to be a part of), I'll handle it. It is sad this forum has devolved into lectures on the official acronym of Telltale.

Back to the adults conversation, I always suspected one reason they tried the chapter system in KQ7 was for try to appeal to people who got stuck. Rather than having to actually solve the puzzle, they could say "screw it", and jump to another section. However, that makes about as much sense as reading a book, not knowing what a word means, and just skipping to the next section. But if it sold an extra copy of the game, then Ken says YES! It must take all the willpower in the world for him to stay away from the facebook casual games market.... if he had thought of microtranscations back then, you can bank on the fact that Cedric would have happily taken your credit card info in return for suggestions such as, "OOOOO Graham, Might want to save that pie for later...."

Either way, using KQ7's chapter system as an example to defend the use of chapters within a new game is nonsensical. That's like using crystal pepsi to defend soft drinks as a whole.

I am still completely baffled by the previous suggestion that KQ6 had chapters.... but I assume if I actually knew the reason I would just be disappointed in humanity. Luckily chryon has already fulfilled my disappointment in humanity meter for the day.

You're disappointed that Telltale Games has always gone by "TTG", and that I, as a person who prefers for people to spell and punctuate properly, would rather people used the proper name for things?

How about my name? My name is Chyron, not chryon.

Also, Telltale's previous seasons developed before TOMI are designed specifically so people could play individual episodes without playing the others, so yes comparing that to KQ7's ability to skip immediately to the last chapter does make sense. It's the matter of whether we want the ability to skip chapters that matters (which I for one, do not want--nor did I want it in TOMI.)

The reason for the chapter system in KQ7 seems obvious to me: they wanted both Rosella and Valanice to be playable, and it made sense for there to be chapter breaks when switching between characters, as alternatively allowing both characters to be have been controllable in the same space on the fly (a la Maniac Mansion) would allow the characters to meet too early in the story. No, we don't want to be able to skip chapters in KQ7, but I don't want to skip them in TOMI either and yet I can.

The issue here is really whether or not TTG's KQ will have a large expanse of explorable space early on or not.

• My TT can beat up your TTG.

Bt

• Where is Baggins with a giant wall-of-text explaining the official reasoning behind KQ7's chapter system when you need him??

• Still no words about KQ on any of the 3 interviews Dan Connors did during these days.

• @Bloody Eugene said: Still no words about KQ on any of the 3 interviews Dan Connors did during these days.

I think Activision has gotten a case of tightening butthole syndrome (TBS.)

• Heh heh. Sometimes it's fun to molest the corpse. I'll admit it.

Bt

• Actual one the reasons they went with the chapter system was give it a "storybook" feel. Plus the fact that they need a way to switch back and forth between characters.

It's interesting to note based on unused game assets and development information they had planned for at least one extra chapter. The last chapter apparently wouldn't have been on rails, and they also had started out working on a multi-icon system like the previous games.

Yes it's also my least favorite game in the series.

This discussion has been closed.