User Avatar Image

Episode 3 for Walking Dead will not start

posted by CapreDiem on - last edited - Viewed by 919 users

Hello, Telltale Game and Support,

Just to start off, this is an absolutely amazing game and story line you have developed. It's really engaging and I would love to play more of it in the future. However, I have encountered a problem.

I, like many others, have encountered the error message of 'Walkingdead101 has stopped working.' However, this did not come up when I played Episode 1 and 2. When I started the third episode, this message immediately popped up. I have tried the FAQ suggestions and other thread recommendations, but none of them have helped thus far.

Any help from anyone? I appreciate your time and assistance.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I am glad i could help.

Please check if the date/time of the prefs.prop in the savegame folder is updated when you start the game, by looking at it in the Windows Explorer.

• @DjNDB said: I am glad i could help.

Please check if the date/time of the prefs.prop in the savegame folder is updated when you start the game, by looking at it in the Windows Explorer.

By updated, do you mean click on the icon? Because when I go into the folder, the date and time always reveals the most recent.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@CapreDiem said: By updated, do you mean click on the icon? Because when I go into the folder, the date and time always reveals the most recent.

The exact question is: If you start the game, does the prefs.prop's date change to the date and time you started the game?

That's important to check if the game is using the savegame folder you are looking at.

• @DjNDB said: The exact question is: If you start the game, does the prefs.prop's date change to the date and time you started the game?

That's important to check if the game is using the savegame folder you are looking at.

Ah, apologies. When I attempt to play the game and shows no previous data mentioned, the prefs.prop's date and time do change to the latest attempt to play the Walking Dead game.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@CapreDiem said: Ah, apologies. When I attempt to play the game and shows no previous data mentioned, the prefs.prop's date and time do change to the latest attempt to play the Walking Dead game.

Good. So we know that it's the correct folder.

Please try copying your backed up prefs.prop and .save files into that folder again.
    Then tell me the approximate size of the prefs.prop before and after running the game.

• @DjNDB said: Good. So we know that it's the correct folder.

Please try copying your backed up prefs.prop and .save files into that folder again.
    Then tell me the approximate size of the prefs.prop before and after running the game.

Copy and pasted the backup files into the folder. Before and after the game has started, the size of the prefs.prop is 9KB.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@CapreDiem said: Copy and pasted the backup files into the folder. Before and after the game has started, the size of the prefs.prop is 9KB.

That's not good. The prefs.prop you backed up is too small to be the correct one. Do you have any other backups of it?

If you don't , you can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop.

• @DjNDB said: That's not good. The prefs.prop you backed up is too small to be the correct one. Do you have any other backups of it?

If you don't , you can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop.

I'm afraid this is the only prefs.prop I have stored with me. Also, I can't seem to find the 'Restore previous version; option when I right click the prefs.prop.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I fear the prefs.prop was already corrupted when you made the backup.
    That probably happened in one of the crashs you had in the game.

Sadly there's no other way of restoring what was stored in the prefs.prop.

• @DjNDB said: I fear the prefs.prop was already corrupted when you made the backup.
    That probably happened in one of the crashs you had in the game.

Sadly there's no other way of restoring what was stored in the prefs.prop.

Alright, well, I appreciate your time and effort to help me fix the problem. At least I got to the main menu this time!

Thanks and best of luck.

Add Comment