User Avatar Image

I feel like I've been scammed

posted by susanne20 on - last edited - Viewed by 566 users

Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

I actually had to search for a walkthrough of the game when I was playing episode 3 to find out whether or not I was doing something wrong.

Turns out that even though you have 4 dialog options at your disposal, there is nothing you can do to save those characters. And the walkthrough says that the game isn’t even half way through.

What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

The game should have just ended with the RV driving off a cliff and killing everyone. This is really disappointing to say the least. I just uninstalled the game without completing episode 3.

How can a game go from being SO GOOD to completely down the drain in less than half an hour?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lego said: more choices for your character to be evil or good.

Name me five games from different companies that give a legitimate sense of choice and not some arbitrary nun-or-Hitler bullshit "morality" system.

The choices made here are a matter of the player's preference rather than some lousy binary moral system. They leave room for good, evil, and various shades of grays. The vast majority of games with "choice" do not do that.

Real choices aren't always clear-cut. Real choices won't always save a life. Hell, sometimes real choices won't even matter at all. That's life and that is what The Walking Dead gives us: Real choice.

Most people just prefer the fake choice systems in most games where everything's clear-cut, there's no room for gray, and all choices have an immediate effect and always work out as intended. Most people like to be spoonfed, I suppose.

• so it made you sad or upset? DEAL WITH IT that's the motivation of playing, besides that to me the most important thing was to keep clem alive i don't know if you agree with that but i can tell you, the game is not over at that point, and... who knows? might stumple upon new chars - or not. you gotta deal with such situations...

• There was a warning in the Talking dead episode just before episode 3
    'people are going to die'

• A did like the ending when the RV drove off of a cliff...

• @Scaeva said: The Walking Dead would be lame and unplayable if it were all sunshine and rainbows.

The wise words......

• @susanne20 said: Why isn't there a warning in the beginning of the game that says: "In episode 3, you lose four original characters in a very short time and there is nothing you can do about it, so it doesn't matter what you say to those characters during the game at all."

I actually had to search for a walkthrough of the game when I was playing episode 3 to find out whether or not I was doing something wrong.

Turns out that even though you have 4 dialog options at your disposal, there is nothing you can do to save those characters. And the walkthrough says that the game isn’t even half way through.

What's the motive to continue playing? All the dialog choices I made previously did not matter at all.

The game should have just ended with the RV driving off a cliff and killing everyone. This is really disappointing to say the least. I just uninstalled the game without completing episode 3.

How can a game go from being SO GOOD to completely down the drain in less than half an hour?

Its the walking dead...shit happens.

• Choices don't have to actually alter a character's fate to be seen as significant. In this case, the relationships between Lee and these characters is what the choices alter, which I believe is a very significant aspect of the game. You can argue that the choices don't change a character's outcome (though saving some to have around for one or two more episodes is also pretty significant to me), but it does change many, many moments with those characters and your relationship with them.

That is one of the major reasons why the players become so attached to these characters; it was our choices that enabled us to save them or form a more personable relationship with them. I found siding with Kenny over Lilly and vice versa to be very different and unique experiences because it changed my outlook on those characters and how I reacted to them through the game's dialogue. In a game that is primarily about story and character development, the choices matter a hell of a lot in my opinion.

Just because they don't change a character's fate, does not mean that the choices don't mean a thing. They change things quite a bit from when you meet those characters to when they die.

• Jesus its a video game i cantstand when people write how people die in the real world and they need to get over the characters death. THIS ISNT REALITY its fantasy and maybe certain people enjoy playing video games to escape mortality and get attached to characters that wont die. Im sure we have all had a loved one pass away on us so dont be insulting and say we need a reality check cuz were pissed a well liked character died.

• @Will85 said: Jesus its a video game i cantstand when people write how people die in the real world and they need to get over the characters death. THIS ISNT REALITY its fantasy and maybe certain people enjoy playing video games to escape mortality and get attached to characters that wont die. Im sure we have all had a loved one pass away on us so dont be insulting and say we need a reality check cuz were pissed a well liked character died.

Well if that's the case, then the Walking Dead is an awful choice for you. It's about the dead roaming the earth, you don't think that death is going to be a strong theme?

You have choices to make, you're not playing god. Some stuff is inevitable as you can't really mess with free will of the survivors. Although I was gutted to lose Carly and felt there should have been a way to prevent it, I'm not disappointed with the game at all, those choices have still had lasting consequences. It's just a shame the OP presumed that it was all a waste and gave up there and then, and didn't see it all pan out. Maybe she'd think differently.

• @darknessofheart said: Choices don't have to actually alter a character's fate to be seen as significant. In this case, the relationships between Lee and these characters is what the choices alter, which I believe is a very significant aspect of the game. You can argue that the choices don't change a character's outcome (though saving some to have around for one or two more episodes is also pretty significant to me), but it does change many, many moments with those characters and your relationship with them.

That is one of the major reasons why the players become so attached to these characters; it was our choices that enabled us to save them or form a more personable relationship with them. I found siding with Kenny over Lilly and vice versa to be very different and unique experiences because it changed my outlook on those characters and how I reacted to them through the game's dialogue. In a game that is primarily about story and character development, the choices matter a hell of a lot in my opinion.

Just because they don't change a character's fate, does not mean that the choices don't mean a thing. They change things quite a bit from when you meet those characters to when they die.

To conduce: It's the how and why of the journey, not the journey itself!

Add Comment