User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 4.9K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Pretty sure we all know what TT Games means. Let's not get this thread locked, though. It's doing so well. Heh. It would actually be kind of ironic if it was locked.

• Come on, you two. It's the Telltale apologists we should be ganging up on, not our own. ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I've cleaned the thread of the insults. Please keep your comments respectful from here on out. Thanks.

• I do find the discussion about chapters and episodes to be interesting. I really don't like them either - as others have said, I like the actions that one does early on in the game to have an effect later. I think that's actually very important to adventure games... adventure should have a sense of continuity - of depth and length... you're going on AN adventure, not several little ones.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    exo

This thread just got boring again.

• Kq7 is weird in that it had alternative puzzle solutions based on actions made in earlier "chapters". But if you somehow skipped picking up an item perhaps because you skipped a chapter, they included an alternative location to pick it up elsewhere. For example the fragrant flower.

• See, while that works - an alternative location - it almost feels like a cheat or a conceit, you know? I'd rather have an alternate solution to a situation, than be able to pick up the same item somewhere else.

Bt

• Ya the alternative puzzles to get past the scorpion in the temple for example, or for getting back the glasses from the jackalope were much more interesting way of doing things.

On the negative side they actually destroyed a couple of puzzles in later game versions and challenge by removing the deaths associated with them. For example the dragon tail death and the erupting volcano while inside the volcano passages.

The further into the game the more linear it became was also a problem.

• @Chyron8472 said:
    EDIT: Also, many are saying that TTG's KQ isn't and won't ever be made, but my question is: are there any projects that they said they'd work on that they ended up entirely not doing so? I know there is a long list of things left undone from various games (ie. Bone episode 3, NutriSpecs, downloadable Earl-Boen-voiced TOMI chapter 1, etc.) but I don't think they've neglected a project entirely.

Granted, there's a first time for everything.

Like you said, there's a first for everything.

Telltale has never been in this situation after enjoying their biggest selling and most critically acclaimed game yet. Had they knew beforehand of The Walking Dead's success, I guarantee they wouldn't have acquired King's Quest license. They've evolved the genre to be more accessible and financially lucrative that trying to create a traditional point and click adventure with a license that honestly holds very little value in the grand scheme of gaming would be utterly stupid from a business standpoint given the broader audience's attention they now have who will be anxiously awaiting their next release.

• @lightskintwin said: Had they knew beforehand of The Walking Dead's success, I guarantee they wouldn't have acquired King's Quest license.

Good. If Telltale doesn't want to do KQ now and doesn't think the series is worth much, and if KQ fans don't want Telltale to do KQ, then Telltale should just end the charade, announce their KQ project is canceled, and stick to making interactive movies based on well-known, existing brands. Issue resolved.

This discussion has been closed.