User Avatar Image

"WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error

posted by Mike on - last edited - Viewed by 14.1K users

Hi,

We are currently investigating what is causing this to happen for a small percentage of the userbase for The Walking Dead, and we apologize for the inconvenience. There's a few fixes outlined in the technical support FAQ here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

If those fixes aren't working for you, please reply to this thread and let me know me know what kind of hardware or software security your system is using. I need the following information:

1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game?

3: Does the game work if you run it while disconnected from the Internet?

I don't need DXDiag information or any other system specific info apart from the information requested above. Please, no discussion of the issue in this thread. It's to gather information only.

Thanks,
Mike

137 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • no no no

Glad to see this has been a problem for EIGHT MONTHS and there's still no real solution.

• 1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?
    - No Firewall

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game? Ad-ware but I have turned it off.

3: Does the game work if you run it while disconnected from the Internet?
    - Its on Steam so it will not work unless part of the net.

I just bought this game today (1/5/13) and I must say that to see that the first post on this issue was back in APRIL OF LAST YEAR is rather sad. I hope this is not a warning of your companies quality to games.

• Found this fix on Steam Forums:

Hello, many people have had crashes when attempting to play this game. The symptom seen is when clicking play, you get a crash in walkingdead101.exe.

There are two main fixes that seem to be working for people.

1) find your walkingdead101.exe executable in someplace like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead

Right click the executable and select compatability tab up top.
    Click checkbox for "run this program in compatability mode for"
    and pulldown menu for Windows 98. ALso check run as administrator.

This didn't help me but the next one did:

2) Disable your internet network in some way before starting the game.

Sounds like it wouldn't help but it let me run the game without issue.

Good luck!

• Hello,
    this happened to me a few weeks ago. I relaunched the game and re-set my preferences and of course it wasn't working. I tried one fix I found, to no avail. In the process, I copied all of my save files and pref file (though only after trying to play once). They're still my original save files though because there are 68 of them.

So, stupidly, I decided to uninstall and reinstall my game to see if that would fix it for some reason. After I re-installed, I copied my save files back and tried again, and naturally it did not work. Only later did I discover this proper fix that no longer works for me because I reinstalled.

I still have all of my save files. I really, really love this game, and I've been dying to play Episode 5, MY story. But I am not going to play through again making all of the same decisions. Is there any way at all I can recover my saves and continue the game. I'm pretty dang disappointed.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

If the pref.prop file wasn't damaged your saves should still be recoverable. Please check its file size. If it's smaller than 15 KB it was replaced with a new one.

In that case you can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the prefs.prop in the savegame folder, or the folder itself.

• Hi, yeah, the file is only 1.49 kb. I have a backup file that's 6.5 kb. However, it has no previous versions. Thanks though. Is there ANY other way of recovering my saves?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

There's no proper way of restoring your savegame.
    The Siezemore fix gets close, but be aware, that it might have side effects, since it doesn't restore the prefs.prop contents that were lost.

• @DjNDB said: There's no proper way of restoring your savegame.
    The Siezemore fix gets close, but be aware, that it might have side effects, since it doesn't restore the prefs.prop contents that were lost.

I didn't know about this! I'm gonna try it and get back to you soon. Man oh man, I hope this works.

• Hi again,
    I tried that method, and it worked, mostly. It got most of my decisions right, but Kenny hated me and didn't join me to look for Clem, though when I originally played the end of episode 4, he did join me. So that was disappointing, since I consider Lee and Kenny's friendship to be a main theme of the game, or at least of my story. But at least I played and finished it. It was excellent, of course. Thanks for your help.

• I have fix that worked for me:
    After fresh istall of (windows 8.Little_Trouble_Maker= game did not launch at all and didn`t even give error report.
    But i noticed that if i removed Logitech G27 usb cable game run just fine.
    so you may wanna disconnect all usb harware and test if the game launches. (game controllers at least)=D

Ps: Same hardware but win7 game run just fine (but f-up my saves 6 months ago)

P.S: this is AWESOME GAME

This discussion has been closed.