User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 21.8K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Will I need to be up to date on Big Finish to understand The Light at the End?

• @coolsome said: Will I need to be up to date on Big Finish to understand The Light at the End?

Very little information about the story has emerged to date. There has been some speculation about the involvement of Charley, and which Doctor she associates with.

• @coolsome said: Will I need to be up to date on Big Finish to understand The Light at the End?

Nope. There was some speculation they'd use a recent version of the Master they introduced in a release (which was a surprise, hence my not naming the actor nor release), but they've said it's Geoffrey Beevers so I'd not be too worried about that. There might be some cameos from the audio-original companions in five-doctors style, too. Charley'll be Eight's companion but it really doesn't need any information other then the fact she is edwardian and adventurous.

Also, Friar; the main reason that this is such a big deal to so many people is that Big Finish's multi-Doctor stories either; a. turn out not to be the Doctor (Project: Lazarus, Zagreus), b. don't feature the Doctors interacting whatsoever aside from a brief scene towards the end (Zagreus, The Four Doctors), or c. feature the same incarnation of the Doctor (Caerdroia, Mary's Story, A Death in the Family, The Wrong Doctors). Plus Tom's involved for the first time ever.

Also announced (a few months back, but it's been properly announced now with pre-order and all) is the November CC will tell the story of the Doctor's escape from Gallifrey, as told by Susan. It's called "The Beginning".

They also announced the rest of the titles for Destiny of the Doctor (the most exciting titles of which obviously are the NuWho ones, which are as follows);
    9 - Night of the Whisper
    10 - Death's Deal
    11 - The Time Machine

The Eighth Doctor's story is also called Enemy Lines, which has pretty obvious connotations (he'll be challenging Davros to a bake-off and invade his kitchen) Similarly, they've announced Dark Eyes 2, Dark Eyes 3, and Dark Eyes 4, with the former releasing in November as well and the next two releasing in 2014.

This does leave us with the fact Dark Eyes 2, The Beginning, and the Light at the End will all release at the same point, so Big Finish's server will crash and fail for weeks.

• @Ribs said:
    Also announced (a few months back, but it's been properly announced now with pre-order and all) is the November CC will tell the story of the Doctor's escape from Gallifrey, as told by Susan. It's called "The Beginning".

Oh sweet. That's perfect for me, considering I'm only on the first Doctor for Classic Who as I make my way through 1-8.

@Ribs said: The Eighth Doctor's story is also called Enemy Lines, which has pretty obvious connotations (he'll be challenging Davros to a bake-off and invade his kitchen) Similarly, they've announced Dark Eyes 2, Dark Eyes 3, and Dark Eyes 4, with the former releasing in November as well and the next two releasing in 2014.

I was actually very curious about just watching the Doctor Who movie, and then just following his Audio Dramas seeing as how that's where his stories seem to happen anyway, and I also liked his new set of clothes in that promotional material that echoed the 9th Doctor's outfit a little bit...does that mean we'll get to witness the 8th's Regeneration you think?

• @watertommyz said: does that mean we'll get to witness the 8th's Regeneration you think?

No. Big Finish's licence only covers 1963-1989 plus Paul McGann.

• I'm going to get The Light at The End. Now I wana buy Doctor Who audios! The Sontaran one looks cool I like Sontarans.

Gawd I wish Strax was a full time companion.

• @coolsome said: I'm going to get The Light at The End. Now I wana buy Doctor Who audios! The Sontaran one looks cool I like Sontarans.

Gawd I wish Strax was a full time companion.

If the BBC would extend big finish's license, you could bet he'd be getting his own spin off series with madame vastra. Jago & Lightfoot style.

Anyway, I will undoubtedly be getting the anniversary release. Probably only the cheapskate version though (an extra £30 seems a lot to pay for a couple of documentaries and "The revenants" which was given away for free a couple of months back. Plus I'll be at uni, so tight budget. I just hope it's better than "The sirens of Time"

I'm also glad to hear they are continuing with dark eyes. I loved Molly. And I loved all the references to the time war. But as a result of those hints being false in that audio, I have my doubts as to the time war having any real part in future audios, no matter how obvious it seems from the title or description.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Strax was cool, but unless they do something different with him, he'd probably get old fast. He's very one note.

• @FitzoliverJ said: No. Big Finish's licence only covers 1963-1989 plus Paul McGann.

I just meant that it sounded like they were handling the you know what war, and that it could lead up to the regeneration. Not the actual 9th Doctor's run, but the fall of the Eighth.

It would be seriously nice to see that gap filled in.

• @watertommyz said: I just meant that it sounded like they were handling the you know what war, and that it could lead up to the regeneration. Not the actual 9th Doctor's run, but the fall of the Eighth.

It would be seriously nice to see that gap filled in.

But then the eighth doctor's reign would be officially over!

I would love to see the time war done though. As a movie. It's the only way to really do it justice I think. Covering what is essentially a new doctor for most people (the 8th), plus the cause of the war, the events, why it was so bad, how the timelords became evil and the doctor's plan to kill both sides off plus his regeneration seems a bit much to fit into a couple of episodes or whatever. Plus it'll be more action oriented so that's better suited to a cinematic audience.

Add Comment