User Avatar Image

I have no sound card. Is there a work-around that will alow me to play?

posted by Thyocran on - last edited - Viewed by 831 users

I know in the minimum requirements it says you must have a sound card, but since I do not have one in my computer(or the money to fix it) I was wondering if there was a crack or work-around to be able to play without sound(It doesn't bother me that I have no sound I just want to play the game.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Okay, that's at least good.

Please open the "device manager", find the section "Sound, Video and Game controllers" and look for your soundcard.
    If you find it, double click it, and look what it says in the "General" tab under "Device Status".

• @DjNDB said: Okay, that's at least good.

Please open the "device manager", find the section "Sound, Video and Game controllers" and look for your soundcard.
    If you find it, double click it, and look what it says in the "General" tab under "Device Status".

There is no section called "Sound, Video and Game controllers" the only thing similar is IDE ATA/ATAI controllers. Under that section there are ATA Channel 0-5 and then Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller. I don't think those have anything to do with audio but under System Devices I found High Definition Audio Controller and under device status it says "This device cannot start.(Code 10). It does say the drivers are up to date(but knowing Microsoft there is no telling aside from the fact that I just installed the realtek driver earlier)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Thyocran said: under System Devices I found High Definition Audio Controller and under device status it says "This device cannot start.(Code 10). It does say the drivers are up to date(but knowing Microsoft there is no telling aside from the fact that I just installed the realtek driver earlier)

That's the right one. I am not sure what causes it though. When did it work the last time, and what has changed since then?

• @DjNDB said: That's the right one. I am not sure what causes it though. When did it work the last time, and what has changed since then?

I don't know the last time it worked. I got the computer from my friend 2 weeks ago and haven't had any sound since I got it. The USB ports don't work either so I'm guessing the motherboard has a messed up bridge or something.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

You are right. I found this thread on the Toshiba Forum. There are many people complaining about it.

Without USB not even a USB Sound Chip would work...
    So back at square one.

What could get the game working at least is a simulated sound card. I don't know any suitable software, but i'll try to find something.

• @DjNDB said: You are right. I found this thread on the Toshiba Forum. There are many people complaining about it.

Without USB not even a USB Sound Chip would work...
    So back at square one.

What could get the game working at least is a simulated sound card. I don't know any suitable software, but i'll try to find something.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate all this help.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Okay, the approach works. I have tested it successfully with the trial version of Virtual Audio Streaming.
    I don't know when it will expire, but it's a start. I have yet to find a free solution.

• @DjNDB said: Okay, the approach works. I have tested it successfully with the trial version of Virtual Audio Streaming.
    I don't know when it will expire, but it's a start. I have yet to find a free solution.

The game starts up now but there is still no sound. Thank you for fixing the problem but I am still curious if I can get my computer to play sound becasue I have no idea how to use this program.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

As far as i have seen, you don't get sound/usb on your laptop, because the hardware is broken.

I've looked for free solutions but found none.
    I suggest you try how far you can get with this.

In theory one could also work around it by running the game in a Virtual Machine, but that's nonsense performance wise.

• @DjNDB said: As far as i have seen, you don't get sound/usb on your laptop, because the hardware is broken.

I've looked for free solutions but found none.
    I suggest you try how far you can get with this.

In theory one could also work around it by running the game in a Virtual Machine, but that's nonsense performance wise.

As far as the game goes it is fine. The game will run now and It is really fun but there is no sound which i feel takes away from the experience of the game but thank you for your help and I will probably end up getting a new computer later this year.

Add Comment