User Avatar Image

Episode 2 black screen

posted by sullyk on - last edited - Viewed by 636 users

I bought the game off steam and finished episode one, but when i try to start episode 2 all i get is a black screen with the inventory slot of an axe on the side. I can move the mouse around and can hear sound but can't do anything.

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have this exact same problem!

• I click to play episode 2 and all I get is a black screen. The white icon of the fireaxe is on the left of the screen and music is playing. Nothing happens whatsoever.

Playing a Steam download on Mac. Seems a lot of people are having trouble playing this game on Mac!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I merged your threads.

It's possible that your issue is caused by having multiple prefs.prop files, which sometimes happens for unknown reasons.
    There should be only one prefs.prop, and that's in the savegame folder:
    Win Vista/7: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    XP: %userprofile%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

If you run TWD in compatibility mode for win95 or win98/me it might save to:
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\GameData
    or
    %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Please open the games install folder.

To find the install folder from within Steam, Right click "The Walking Dead" and select "properties".
    Then open the "Local Files" Tab. There select "Browse local files"

Please check if there are additional prefs.prop files in the install folder or its subfolders.
    If so, make a backup copy of the prefs.prop and delete it from the install folder.

If that doesn't help try the steps below.

If you are playing through steam, you first need to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then make a backup copy of the savegame folder's prefs.prop, and then try copying the install folder prefs.prop to the savegame folder.

• Can you give a detailed explanation on how to do the second and third part? I'm using a mac and cannot seem to find the install folder.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Beanzilla said: Can you give a detailed explanation on how to do the second and third part? I'm using a mac and cannot seem to find the install folder.

Are you playing on steam?
    I just updated the instructions for steam above to be platform neutral.

• yes i am, but there is no prefs.prop file in the install folder.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I assume you checked all of its subfolders too?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I am not really experienced with Macs, but i think you should be able to open the TheWalkingDead with the icon on the right side like a folder to check in there too.

• it just launched the game. is there a way i could delete everything? so it could be like i just installed it for the first time?

Add Comment