User Avatar Image

Do you miss King's Quest?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 643 users

Simple question: Do you miss King's Quest? Do you wish it were revived in a proper fashion?

Let's say even if you hate the TT project, would you be happy if someone else revived the series in a way close to what you imagine?

What I mean is, are you OK with a KQ Sequel in theory, if the designer was one who'd do it Sierra style and not Lucas-Arts style? Do you simply oppose TT being the designer or do you oppose a new KQ game period?

I personally deeply miss KQ. I remember being a kid and playing all the games and the long wait for KQ8...I fell in love with that world and it's characters and wish I could see them again on new, official adventures.

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Has anyone ever actually said they oppose any new KQ games, period??

Of course it's the former. We don't want it mishandled, which Telltale is almost sure to do (if its previous track record is anything to go by.)

Luckily, it probably won't happen at this point.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Would anyone here like money? Like.... if you didn't have to perform depraved sexual behaviour... and could just get free money?

What I mean is, would you take money from a person willingly handing it to you, as opposed to just seeing it laying on the ground? Are you opposed to free money on the ground, or just free money in general?

I personally deeply love money. I fell in love with money nd all the things I could buy with it, and I wish i could have lots of free money.

• Simple question: Do you miss King's Quest? Do you wish it were revived in a proper fashion?

Hell to the yes.

I want Telltale to announce whether they are still planning Kings Quest games.

Given that Telltale games feel more like nonchallenging, interactive movies, I wouldn't be terribly heartbroken if Telltale soon announced that they will not be making a King's Quest game, thereby making it possible for a different, more suitable developer to be given rights to make a new KQ.

• Again, it's not Telltale's call. It's Activision's. If you want more King's Quest, ask them.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Again, it's not Telltale's call. It's Activision's. If you want more King's Quest, ask them.

Bt

Of course, but Telltale admitting the existence of the likely-already-in-place indefinite hold on their ill-conceived KQ project would give more fuel to the fan efforts of contacting Activision and demanding new KQ games.

There is too much uncertainty right now with interactive movie maker Telltale Games so far refusing to say whether they are even working on a KQ project.

Telltale Games appears to be sitting on the KQ license and doing nothing with it. Dave Grossman, himself apparently never even a huge fan of King's Quest or challenging adventure games, and Telltale, deserve a lot of blame for adventure game fans likely not getting any new KQ games ever in the foreseeable future.

• @MtnPeak said: Of course, but Telltale admitting the existence of the likely-already-in-place indefinite hold on their ill-conceived KQ project would give more fuel to the fan efforts of contacting Activision and demanding new KQ games.

There is too much uncertainty right now with interactive movie maker Telltale Games so far refusing to say whether they are even working on a KQ project.

Telltale Games appears to be sitting on the KQ license and doing nothing with it. Dave Grossman, himself apparently never even a huge fan of King's Quest or challenging adventure games, and Telltale, deserve a lot of blame for adventure game fans likely not getting any new KQ games ever in the foreseeable future.

While I enjoy and agree with your consternation at Telltale, I think you misunderstand what a license actually is. Activision owns the intellectual property, and they can license it out to whoever they want, at any time, and multiple studios can be "licensed" to work on KQ related stuff at the same time. So as much as I agree with you about the likely-already-existing indefinite hold, and the fact that Telltale should just announce the cancellation already, it really doesn't have much bearing over whether or not Activision licences someone else to work on the property.

My suspicion is that Activision likely rescinded the license (or that Telltale waited too long and the license expired) and that Telltale has been (and may still be currently) in negotiations with them to renew the license, which is why they've been intentionally avoiding even mentioning King's Quest in any public capacity.

• Lambonius, thank you for explaining this.

How long was Telltale given to do something with King Quest? How long are these contract agreements usually good for?

What if Telltale had been given 10 years to do something, and then then just decides to pursue other titles and leave KQ in the trash, all the while refusing the admit the KQ project is dead? People would have more incentive to demand Activision allow other developers the right to make new KQ games if they knew that there were no KQ games in production.

What I would like to see is a timeline summary of every public mention by Telltale about KQ since 2010.

• Trust me, "fan groups" have approached Activision about the KQ license - the amount of money it would cost makes it prohibitive to small, indie groups.

Bt

• Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about "fan groups" approaching Activision to secure a license for themselves. Activision needs to hear from customers who want new KQ games and they need to hear that we want them done the right way.

But, first of all, the interactive movie factory known as Telltale Games needs to come clean publicly about the fact that they are likely not working on anything KQ-related. Might not more developers express an interest in the KQ rights if they believed that no other studios were working on a KQ project, and they could be the first to come out with a new KQ title?

You all know much more than I do about how all of this stuff works. I am just a simple KQ fan who isn't ready to let the series go to pot in the hands of someone who claims interactive movies are the next step in the evolution of the great adventure gaming genre.

Add Comment