User Avatar Image

Books: a literary discussion

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

57ASs.jpg

So I've been eying and lusting after a nook and its fancy new 1.3 firmware even though I know I can't afford one. And all that looking at something meant to read books made me think about...BOOKS.

Let's talk about books. Anybody read anything recent that was really good? Have an obscure old favorite?

Where do you read books? When do you read them? What books do you read? How do you read books?

Etc and so forth.

If it involves books, say it. I'd like some good recommendations on recently published books and currently running ongoing series, too.

My favorite book of all time is Dumas's "Count of Monte Cristo"(or at least the unabridged English translation), though I of course love the geek standbys as well(Hitchhiker's Guide, Neuromancer, Slaughterhouse-Five, Snow Crash, et all). I also have Star Wars books as somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

Also, this isn't the thread about pictures of boobs. There shouldn't be pictures of boobs in this thread.

...unless it's a picture of a book that just HAPPENS to contain boobs. Because then it's absolutely on-topic and worthy of discussion.

SO.

BOOKS.

268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: I downloaded a few classics from there, and the ones that I did either had text-only TOCs or none at all.

Like Haggis, I must have been lucky then too, because all of the ePubs I've downloaded from them have been good quality (although, admittedly, I only downloaded 4 of them so far).

• Ah. Well, I have a Kindle, which uses Mobipocket instead of ePub.

Certain ePubs don't seem to play well with Calibre right away regarding TOC conversion...

Or at least such was the case two years ago, when I downloaded said classics. Calibre may have improved its conversion abilities since then.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: Ah. Well, I have a Kindle, which uses Mobipocket instead of ePub.

Certain ePubs don't seem to play well with Calibre right away regarding TOC conversion...

Or at least such was the case two years ago, when I downloaded said classics. Calibre may have improved its conversion abilities since then.

I think Project Gutenberg's likely improved in those two years too.

They now offer their books in a wide range of different formats, including mobi.

Well, the gutenberg.org site does at least, the gutenberg.us site only offers them in HTML format (although there's a bigger selection of books at .us).

• I've recently finished the Fifth Elephant Discworld
    One of the best Terry Pratchett's I've read yet

• Just wait until you get to Jingo. Or Hogfather. Or Reaper Man. Or Night Watch. Or Going Postal.

• @Jennifer said: I think Project Gutenberg's likely improved in those two years too.

They now offer their books in a wide range of different formats, including mobi.

Well, the gutenberg.org site does at least, the gutenberg.us site only offers them in HTML format (although there's a bigger selection of books at .us).

I just downloaded one of the books I recall having a problem with in .mobi format, and:

awEWg.png

• I bought a book on creative writing.
    (I thought it may help with the ol' game design)

• The best books for creative writing (at least in a fantasy gothic horror setting) are the Ravenloft DnD books. And Heroes of Horror.

• Since last I posted I have managed to get through a few books.

I have gotten through both of the Guild Wars books, they where equally as good and they did well what they was supposed to do, keep you up to speed.

Finished The Desert Spear if you haven't read it I think you should, but start with the first book The Painted Man.

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian

Gone through Skullduggery Pleasant: Dark Days, Mortal Coil and Death Bringer.
    Now I am reading the latest book in the series Kingdom of the Wicked.

• I used to follow the Skullduggery Pleasant series, but I started not being able to find them anymore and I thought the author just stopped writing them. I remember that fateful day when I was browsing for books and just HAD to get the book with the skeleton throwing a fireball on the cover. I mean, why WOULDN'T I get a book with a cover like that?

Well, looks like I'll need to take a trip to the bookstore now.

Add Comment