User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 177K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: The Hobbit
    Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Hunger Games
    The Color of Magic (Discworld)

There are also various classics which you can obtain for cheap/free, but I haven't worked out which version of certain books might have the best formatting out of the box.

Also, there are tools I highly recommend:

Calibre (eBook Library Manager)
    K4MobiDeDRM Calibre plugin (to aid in conversion of eBooks from one format to another. Allows you to repair formatting problems with purchased eBooks)
    Sigil (word processor specifically made for eBooks)

Let me be a bit more specific- Obscure stuff. I have the audiobooks of all those things. :)

I did a Project Gutenberg run already too.

• So I assume you already got Struglend Tales.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@GaryCXJk said: So I assume you already got Struglend Tales.

I will have it by the end of today! Now that I have a reader that let me blow stuff up huge. :)

• @divisionten said: Let me be a bit more specific- Obscure stuff. I have the audiobooks of all those things. :)

So... like Jude the Obscure? Haven't read it myself, but I've enjoyed most of the things Hardy writes.

More seriously, if you like dark fantasy detective-y/romance type things, Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale is a pretty fun read. I enjoyed it because it was a different type of story from most of the fantasy I've been exposed to and was also short enough so that I could read it and still do actual work.

• Now that replacement hand grafting is a thing I am going to chop off my hand graft some jerks hand to mine and then hypnotize my self into believing I am Liquid Snake.

• @puzzlebox said: I dated a coworker. Breaking up WOULD make things pretty awkward right now, mostly because we've both left the company and are living happily in sin together on the other side of the continent.

Well, I started dating someone at work (who I wasn't friends with prior) and everything is going really well. My only concern, I guess, is that things are going so well to the point that things seem to be moving kinda fast, but it feels right. So I don't know what to do? I don't want to get into a bad situation. How do I know if I'm making the right decision?

• As someone who's never been in a relationship, I can give you the advice of what I would do if I felt a relationship was moving too fast. First, I'd turn off my cellphone. Then, I'd move away with no forwarding address to Tahiti and only come back several years later after I stopped panicking.

In short, I haven't got a clue what to do.

• @Avistew said: As for not dating friends, I haven't heard that one before. I don't see why anyone would want to date someone who isn't their friend. "Only date your friends" is way closer to being my rule then the other way around.

Can't believe I remember you posting this two years ago in this thread:

@Avistew said: - The "friend zone" isn't that inescapable thing you're thrown in a can't get out of. It's an excuse for not dating you because the person isn't interested, no more, no less. The actual cases of "I would, but I don't want to ruin our friendship" are super rare. More often than not, it's "I wouldn't, but I don't want to ruin our friendship so I won't say it so bluntly".

- As I said, the friend zone isn't inescapable. I was friends with Seamus before we became a couple. For that matter he showed his interest pretty much right away, and I turned him down at the time. Then a few months later, after confiding in him pretty much every day, becoming close friends, etc, I'm the one who went after him. If he had tried to avoid the "friend zone", I never would have fallen in love with him. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, the friend zone is pretty much a requirement if you want to reach the boyfriend zone. I'm not saying everyone is the same, but I can't be the only one who is like that.

Yes, it's that "friend zone" crap. The point about not trying to date friends is that if you're wrong, it gets all awkward, and you might lose the friend. Obviously, this is not something you personally have a problem with, but a lot of people do.

@Avistew said: Well, I started dating someone at work (who I wasn't friends with prior) and everything is going really well. My only concern, I guess, is that things are going so well to the point that things seem to be moving kinda fast, but it feels right. So I don't know what to do? I don't want to get into a bad situation. How do I know if I'm making the right decision?

You've already gone too far for the co-worker requirement, so it's now the same as any other boyfriend.

[LIST]
    [*]Don't get pregnant.
    [*]Don't get any horrible diseases.
    [*]Make sure he's someone you can trust. Like he's not stealing your stuff and selling it on eBay.
    [/LIST]

If you've got that covered, then go as fast as you want to.

• I have nothing valuable to add to this conversation... :(

This discussion has been closed.