User Avatar Image

Telltale Games Should Give Up KQ License

posted by MtnPeak on - last edited - Viewed by 827 users

If Telltale Games does not announce any definitive KQ plans in the next five months, then they should give up the KQ license and let another development team (who actually respects the KQ series and KQ fans) bring the series back to life in a proper way and in grand fashion, the way the series deserves. Dave Grossman has been dismissive of KQ, and it has been a long time since we have heard anything from Telltale about KQ.

It is a slap in the face to fans of classic adventure gaming for Telltale to essentially sit on the KQ rights and prevent any new KQ game from being made, while they pretend like TTG is doing adventure gaming a favor by having acquired the license in the first place.

I think most of us realize that Telltale Games was never the right developer for a new King's Quest, anyway. Telltale is great when it comes to nonchallenging, somewhat formulaic, episodic games with limited virtual exploration. They seem to have settled on a strategy of acquiring licenses for well-known brands, and then releasing games that attract more attention because of the movie/book/comic brand than they do for the actual original merits of the game. And more power to them.

Many of us were willing to give Telltale the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. If, in 5 months, Telltale hasn't announced anything definitive about KQ, then they need to do the right thing and relinquish the license so someone else can bring back the series the right way.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jennifer said: As for Dan Connors statement, the statement ended with a laugh.

The reason I'm not laughing with him is that King's Quest could have been their next project after Fables. Now we know that the next project after Fables will be The Walking Dead Season Two. At least we can safely say it's not a priority (and it's never been: why did they make Fables before King's Quest? They announced them at the same time, after all). Dave recorded a Christmas update for Adventure Gamers (!!!) and totally skipped any info related to King's Quest. If Connors goes on talking about Star Wars, Halo and Half Life, I guess KQ won't be the priority in the near future either.
    I'm sorry to say that we really need an official statement now, after a whole year of silence. Denial won't help. ;)

• @Diduz said: The reason I'm not laughing with him is that King's Quest could have been their next project after Fables. Now we know that the next project after Fables will be The Walking Dead Season Two. At least we can safely say it's not a priority (and it's never been: why did they make Fables before King's Quest? They announced them at the same time, after all). Dave recorded a Christmas update for Adventure Gamers (!!!) and totally skipped any info related to King's Quest. If Connors goes on talking about Star Wars, Halo and Half Life, I guess KQ won't be the priority in the near future either.
    I'm sorry to say that we really need an official statement now, after a whole year of silence. Denial won't help. ;)

We don't know for sure if The Walking Dead Season 2 is coming before King's Quest.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: We don't know for sure if The Walking Dead Season 2 is coming before King's Quest.

King's Quest isn't coming at all.

• @Lambonius said: King's Quest isn't coming at all.

And the Telltale forums are reunited with an old friend it hasn't seen in a very long time...

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

• Maybe you're jumping to conclusions there.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: We don't know for sure if The Walking Dead Season 2 is coming before King's Quest.

Well, Dave talked about two projects in the Adventure Gamers Christmas Greetings: Fables and The Walking Dead Season Two.
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23582
    I don't think he's been "dismissive" of King's Quest, as MntPeak said, because I remember he talked about the franchise here:
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18536
    (I really liked this interview :) )
    I'm not saying I'm sure they'll cancel the game (heck, the forum is still here, after all! ;) ), but stating KQ is low in their priority list isn't "jumping to conclusions". It's a fact.

• I seem to remember some people saying that the Law & Order game was dead because there had been no news and official site was taken down. That still came out. Just saying...

• @corruptbiggins said: I seem to remember some people saying that the Law & Order game was dead because there had been no news and official site was taken down. That still came out. Just saying...

I think in that case Telltale had to rectify the whole project: the game was originally based on Law & Order : Los Angeles, but the show was canceled while they were working on it.
    Good example, though. ;)

• Interesting thing about early Law & Order games, Telltale made a few of them. They had license to make the game. But the license didn't allow them to sell the games on the Telltale website. Which is why you can't find them for sale anymore, except on physical media.

Might be interesting if telltale had a similar contract with Activision. To make the game, but Activision distributes it. Similarly it might be up to Activision to make any major announcements and advertising. Similar to what happened with those early Telltale Law and Order games.

• @BagginsKQ said: Interesting thing about early Law & Order games, Telltale made a few of them. They had license to make the game. But the license didn't allow them to sell the games on the Telltale website. Which is why you can't find them for sale anymore, except on physical media.

You mean CSI for Ubisoft? Telltale actually sells L&O on the website.

Add Comment