User Avatar Image

55% Lack Compassion...

posted by chaz99 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

I was wondering why such a high % refused to let Irene have the gun and take her own life, knowing what was ahead for her.

Most interested in the ideas/opinions of those who refused to give her the gun, but all input welcome, as it should be.

Discuss and explain.

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I did not give her the gun because I didn't want to waste the bullet, I didn't want to attract walkers, and I because I did not trust her. She only uses the gun to kill herself, but a lot of other things could have happened.

1: She could have just used the gun to commit suicide and shot herself in the heart instead of the head. At this point in the game no one knows that all dead people come back unless the brain is destroyed. If she shot herself in the heart she could turn right there and attack us.

2: We might've needed the bullet later. We give her the gun and then later on at the pharmacy we need the extra bullet. Now a member of the group dies because we gave her the gun.

3: I can't remember if we actually see the bite, but if not she could have lied about being bitten. Glen comes banging on her door and tries to get her to come out, it scares her so she tells him to leave. Later on he returns with two friends and a gun this scares her even more. She lies about being bitten so she can get the gun and defend herself from these three strangers. We end up getting shot or losing a gun.

• @chaz99 said: I was wondering why such a high % refused to let Irene have the gun and take her own life, knowing what was ahead for her.

Most interested in the ideas/opinions of those who refused to give her the gun, but all input welcome, as it should be.

Discuss and explain.

Would I give her a gun to end her life if she was someone I knew in real life? No. Same goes for the game, regardless of the reason.

When the time comes, that's a different story.

• If you're bitten, killing yourself is the sane, moral and rational thing to do. The human survivors have a (granted, very small) improvement in their chances of survival. While you have some reasoning capacity left it is important to try to see the big picture. Irene did, in her own way.

I gave her the gun.

• There was no way to know when/if there was a cure on the way. Irene was running out of time, so I gave her the gun.

Of course I do remember what happened in the movie, the Mist...

• @Mornai said: At the time, barely a few days into this apocalypse, the characters have no idea how widespread this situation is. For all they know there could be a cure already, or in progress. What we as players know shouldn't have anything to do with it.

This may be so, but the game adapts to your choices so it's a very personal choice. I chose to use the extra knowledge I have of the Walking Dead world to make the choice to give the gun.

And yeah, it's early and I use the verb choice way to much.

• @JordyLicht said: This may be so, but the game adapts to your choices so it's a very personal choice. I chose to use the extra knowledge I have of the Walking Dead world to make the choice to give the gun.

And yeah, it's early and I use the verb choice way to much.

Choice is a noun. The verb is choose.

I did not give her the gun, because my Lee still thought there could be a cure. I am a roleplayer and I don't use meta-knowledge beforehand. There could have be a way to save her and he didn't want the blood at his hands.

• @Sutinen said: Never give an unstable person a gun is my advice. That's why I held onto the gun.

Ditto. Like I said earlier in the thread, I kinda saw the choice as "do you want Lee to earn a Darwin Award? Yes/No"; my Lee said hell no.

I much would've preferred an option to mercy-kill her myself. That I possibly would've done. Giving us the option to shoot her ourselves also puts the choice in starker contrast, give her the gun or not; Lee's hands are still relatively clean in the whole affair.

@Sutinen said: At the time, barely a few days into this apocalypse, the characters have no idea how widespread this situation is. For all they know there could be a cure already, or in progress. What we as players know shouldn't have anything to do with it.

In that situation, Glenn is entirely correct in saying you can't give up. Maybe if it were later in the apocalypse where they knew what was going on, but that early? No.

We know that atleast Atlanta and likely Savannah have pretty much gone down the crapper right from the get-go (Atlanta from Shawn, Savannah from the answering machine at Clem's house). We see Macon itself; which is basically the midway point between those two cities. That's a pretty big clue right off the bat that the infection is atleast statewide.

Even if I thought there was a cure despite all of that, I know Irene's not going to live long enough to see it.

• She was emotionally unstable because she knew she'd been bitten...If someone has been bitten and asks you to shoot them you do it, otherwisetheir last moments are thinking about being a danger to other people, knowing that they're letting themselves be turned into a monster, and a tremendous amount of bodily suffering...Not shooting them to conserve ammo is pretty monstrous and not shooting them because you still have irrational hope for them is not heroic or merciful...

• I gave her the gun with almost no hesitation. Silly me. I dunno, just wanted to help.

• It was the beginning of the apocalypse, we didn't know how bad things were until the second episode.

Add Comment