User Avatar Image

Ben

posted by Platinumb on - last edited - Viewed by 452 users

Why the constant hatred?

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @double_u said: And he's the crappiest lookout in the world. He was sitting on top an RV, and yet the bandits managed to sneak in despite the fact there was a road's width of open space which makes sneaking up very difficult. Remember how Lilly saw movement in the woods before Lee even reached the road in episode 2? Remember how Carley managed to see the St. John's at GROUND level in episode 2? Ben can't even see a large group of bandits from an elevated level. That's pretty useless right there.

And who put Ben on look out again? Was a certain someone who insisted on being in charge all the time. A certain someone when informed of how poor a choice Ben being a look out was, merely scoffed at the idea. Who was that person? :p

I don't disagree Ben's a colossal fuck up, but with a liberal misuse of causality you can probably blame everything on everyone and vice versa. Here I'll give you a little demo.

Ben saved everyone's lives! If he hadn't told everyone that anyone who dies come back as a walker, Larry would have come back as a zombie in the meat locker and killed Kenny, Lee, Lilly and Clem. Katjaa and Duck would be slaves for the Saint Johns and Carley/Doug and Ben probably would have been caught when they came to investigate.

OR

Ben killed everyone! If he hadn't told everyone that you always come back as a walker after you die, then Kenny wouldn't have freaked out and murdered Larry and Lee/Lilly would have revived him and Lilly would have never lost her shit and everything would probably be fine. (Unless it wasn't!)

And so on. You can blame everything bad that happens in episode five on Clem. If she hadn't run off, everyone would have gotten in the boat before Vernon showed up and nobody would have died looking for her. Or you could blame Kenny/Lee, if he hadn't insisted on looting the station wagon the campman never would have come after Clem. Except everyone would have starved if they didn't loot the station wagon, so they actually saved everyone, unless they wouldn't have starved, then they doomed everyone!. :D

Would of, Could of, Should of. Who knows? I do think blaming Ben for Doug and Carley is stupid though. Ignoring the fact that Lilly fucking pulled the trigger, Ben confessing probably wouldn't have changed much.

In Doug's case, if Ben confessed Lilly probably still would have pulled a gun on him when people weren't looking and Doug would have jumped in front of him to take the bullet. (Hell, maybe it's Doug's fault he died. He should have just stood there!)

In Carley's case, Lilly clearly had it out for her. She immediately accuses her and every time she turns to Ben she usually starts suggesting it was both him and Carley and at one point even asks Ben to tell her Carley did it, saying she'll leave him alone if he does. If Ben ever confessed Carley probably would have argued to not throw him out, told Lilly off and Lilly would probably just have shot both of them. (Carley got herself killed! She shouldn't have called a crazy person a bitch!)

I think the reason Carley isn’t on watch or even has her gun in Episode 3 is because Lilly irrationally distrusted her and wouldn’t let her be armed anymore. If Carley had been on watch she’d probably gotten the drop on the Bandits...or they’d had shot her first from a distance with a rifle. Who the fuck knows? :p

• @Platinumb said: That's true.

He did not pick a good time to break down and tell Kenny about giving bandits the supplies, for sure.

Ben is pretty much retarded. In his defense though, Clem gets 2 or 3 people killed herself.

• @Zeruis said: Because he got Carley killed. :p

No,Carley got herself killed.If she just wouldn't say all that shit to Lilly,she'd be alive..Truth hurts :/

Anywho,I think that the one's who hate Ben will never stop hating him.Everybody's got their own opinion and we can't change it.But even in real life,I couldn't just let someone go (like Ben in The belltower) even if I Hated him/her.Maybe only when (s)he was super dangerous,But Ben was just young and stupid.He was sorry for everything he had done and from the beggining of episode 2 he wanted to just help with something.But because he couldn't do nothing in past episodes he started to not care in episode 4.And c'mon,if you have no-one left in ZA then Who wouldn't wanna help their friend..
    ..But The belltower place scared me.If that was fucking Larry there,hanging and you would have The same option to pull him up (don't ask how) or let him go.Then what?He's been an ass with you this whole time and never felt sorry,But Ben,The only thing he's been doing IS apologizing (?) ...
    But it's just a videogame character (for now) so I can't,and I wouldn't really blame everyone being nonsensles,coldhearted bastards.But I am tottaly OK if you hate Ben.But just killing him like THAT.. :/

• @BenIsKindaCool said: No,Carley got herself killed.If she just wouldn't say all that shit to Lilly,she'd be alive..Truth hurts :/

Anywho,I think that the one's who hate Ben will never stop hating him.Everybody's got their own opinion and we can't change it.But even in real life,I couldn't just let someone go (like Ben in The belltower) even if I Hated him/her.Maybe only when (s)he was super dangerous,But Ben was just young and stupid.He was sorry for everything he had done and from the beggining of episode 2 he wanted to just help with something.But because he couldn't do nothing in past episodes he started to not care in episode 4.And c'mon,if you have no-one left in ZA then Who wouldn't wanna help their friend..
    ..But The belltower place scared me.If that was fucking Larry there,hanging and you would have The same option to pull him up (don't ask how) or let him go.Then what?He's been an ass with you this whole time and never felt sorry,But Ben,The only thing he's been doing IS apologizing (?) ...
    But it's just a videogame character (for now) so I can't,and I wouldn't really blame everyone being nonsensles,coldhearted bastards.But I am tottaly OK if you hate Ben.But just killing him like THAT.. :/

Carley would've still been alive if Ben confessed in the first place. He'd die instead.

• If you don't know why everyone hates Ben you either didn't play the same game we did or you lack the capacity to judge the actions and qualities of other people.

I'm not explaining what has already been explained by the others in this thread, instead I'll add what hasn't.

Ben is an idiot. The game points this out quite clearly for you in what I guessed was supposed to be a comical moment. When he removes the axe that was barring the blood soaked door, if it had been a sitcom you would have heard a trumpet (?): "wah wah waaaah".

• Not just removing A hatchet, but THE hatchet he handed Lee before going to Crawford. And not just from any set of bload soaked doors, but the blood soaked doors that they used to get away from the walkers that found them pretty uch 30 seconds after arriving. The kid's just straight retarded.

• @Zeruis said: Carley would've still been alive if Ben confessed in the first place. He'd die instead.

But Ben is a human too..I know that everyone's gonna say now ''He deserved it,he's a fucking idiot and he lied to everyone'' but he understands what he did was wrong.Now,if you were Ben and you had done something like this,what would you do?Confess it? I don't think so..And don't come here and say ''I would never be so stupid to do something like give bandidts our stuff'',cause everyone is..

How could he make everything right if they won't let him do anything..?

• @Platinumb said: Ben couldn't have protected Clem, or he might have but then would have wound up getting killed (...) At any rate, if anything maybe Ben should have grabbed Clem's hand and tried to run.

Yes THAT is one point, after that one I started hating him, I mean: how hard can it be to grab Clem and run away, he left that girl to die. And i don't get why she stood up for him at Crawford.
    Now about the motel: he should've told the group so they could prepare, but he didn't and THAT's where he fucked up.
    I understand he's a teenager, and he doesn't know about his family which is on his mind like probably all the time, but seriously he is given easy tasks like: "watch Clementine" and he fucks that one up twice, letting her play in the backyard all alone is just stupid, walkers could be around every corner, what if they got through that gate? she might be dead..

@Platinumb said: Not just removing A hatchet, but THE hatchet he handed Lee before going to Crawford. And not just from any set of bload soaked doors, but the blood soaked doors that they used to get away from the walkers that found them pretty uch 30 seconds after arriving. The kid's just straight retarded.

This! (hope i quoted right) :eek: :cool:

• @SeriousScar said:
    Ben is an idiot. The game points this out quite clearly for you in what I guessed was supposed to be a comical moment. When he removes the axe that was barring the blood soaked door, if it had been a sitcom you would have heard a trumpet (?): "wah wah waaaah".

Nostalgia Critic does it better and its more fitting considering my patience for Ben was long gone by then (keep the volume down on you computer). WAH WAH WAAAAAAAH!!!

Seriously, damn it Ben. :mad: :mad:

• @Platinumb said: What friend? Supposedly, it was just Ben, Travis (who becomes either walker-bait or gets shot), and Mr. Parker left, by Ben's own words.

It's highly possible that he was b.s.ing Lee.

I think it's highly likely Ben had more than two friends in the entire world. Plus, if Lee chooses to threaten Ben when he reveals that he was the one giving them supplies, why would he lie? Lee outright says he can toss him off the train and nobody would know. There was absolutely no reason to lie there, especially if he knew his life was in danger.

I think Ben giving them supplies had no beneficial effects whatsoever. The bandits stopped attacking, but in a way i think this was worse. They completely halted all the attacks, giving the group a false sense of security, as if they had forgotten about them. Thus they let their guard down, and were unprepared for the sudden raid the bandits launched when they didn't find the supplies.

Had Ben not given them supplies, the group would have been more alert and always prepared due to the constant attacks.

Add Comment