User Avatar Image

Ben

posted by Platinumb on - last edited - Viewed by 833 users

Why the constant hatred?

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Nuked said: I like Ben as a person, but he has no idea how to handle tough situations.

I can agree with this, actually.

• @The Fallen said: Maybe it would have helped, maybe it wouldn't have, but i could have had respect for him if he had done that. Stepped up to the plate to take the heat off a friend. That's the problem, I dont hate Ben, but when everyone needs each other you can't respect a coward. Its the same thing that makes him leave clem. He doesn't mean it and it shows in his guilt, but... come on man!

Cowardliness is a major character flaw in him. But pretty much everyone in the game has some major character flaw, whether it's hot-headness, inability to shoot, preoccupation with one or two members of the group at the behest of or threat to everyone else in the group, etc.

He does find stickers for Clem and probably plays with her, he does try to help (though he often fails to), and by Episode 5 he does let other people go before him to safety, so it kind of seems he somewhat starts to get over his cowardliness.

• @Platinumb said: If you notice, he was hanging out with Kenny, who was getting drunk off his *** and probably talking about his family TO Ben, who was feeling guilty about giving supplies to the bandits and like Katjaa's and Duck's deaths were his fault. His emotional state was probably wrecked (this is confirmed when he tells Lee he has to be honest with Kenny at the school), and I gather that is why he didn't keep his eye on Clementine.

(...) thinking he killed Kenny's family (...) he even thinks Clem can take care of herself better than he can take care of her.

I'm not justifying Ben's ineptitude (...) At the end of the day, shouldn't Kenny, who is also an adult, feel some sort of responsibility for watching a little girl, even if he's lost his own family? I don't think it's heartless of me to say that.

Yeah he was busy with Kenny and had stuff on his mind, but he at least could've made Clem stay somewhere around (inside) so he could at least watch her somehow, I get your point he was an emotional wreck at that time, but in a ZA you gotta get your shit together and grieve whenever you got the time. Now that you mentioned it he really thinks he did kill his family whether it really was his fault or not, but if he thinks it was his faul, why doesn't he at least try to do something right THIS time, i don't get it and his statement when you confront him "I'm really doing the best here i can" is just stupid, he sits on his ass and lets Kenny, who is one of the few group members, who can fight get drunk, he could've taken that bottle away from him, even if Kenny then maybe had punched him. Kenny's another thing, he did quite some mistakes too, but he also did SOME things right, Ben didn't, yeah he grabbed Lee's Glock when we were escaping, that really makes up for Crawford i guess. Still Kenny has his problems, and occasionally fucks up too, we actually could open a thread about him as well, but Ben... you pretty much said it: Clem can take care of herself better than Ben could, how comes that teenager can't get as much done as the 9-year old girl? She's got heavy shit on her mind too, I don't think she is stupid so she probably knows her parents might or might NOT be alright, and she IS scared of walkers, but unlike Ben she can focus for a little time and be useful once in a while. That might just be because she has somebody like Lee to encourage her, and to guide her, and Ben doesn't, i don't blame him completly for everything, but for some things. I mean the axe-door-handle thing, that was really, really, really (x10) ... stupid, it was the door, through which they came in. :eek: :D

• @Nuked said: I like Ben as a person, but he has no idea how to handle tough situations.

Yeah i liked him as a person in the end too, but he is not realiable in a ZA, and definitly nobody you want to have around in such a scenario... :rolleyes:

• @ZeroShoot said: Yeah he was busy with Kenny and had stuff on his mind, but he at least could've made Clem stay somewhere around (inside) so he could at least watch her somehow, I get your point he was an emotional wreck at that time, but in a ZA you gotta get your shit together and grieve whenever you got the time. Now that you mentioned it he really thinks he did kill his family whether it really was his fault or not, but if he thinks it was his faul, why doesn't he at least try to do something right THIS time, i don't get it and his statement when you confront him "I'm really doing the best here i can" is just stupid, he sits on his ass and lets Kenny, who is one of the few group members, who can fight get drunk, he could've taken that bottle away from him, even if Kenny then maybe had punched him. Kenny's another thing, he did quite some mistakes too, but he also did SOME things right, Ben didn't, yeah he grabbed Lee's Glock when we were escaping, that really makes up for Crawford i guess. Still Kenny has his problems, and occasionally fucks up too, we actually could open a thread about him as well, but Ben... you pretty much said it: Clem can take care of herself better than Ben could, how comes that teenager can't get as much done as the 9-year old girl? She's got heavy shit on her mind too, I don't think she is stupid so she probably knows her parents might or might NOT be alright, and she IS scared of walkers, but unlike Ben she can focus for a little time and be useful once in a while. That might just be because she has somebody like Lee to encourage her, and to guide her, and Ben doesn't, i don't blame him completly for everything, but for some things. I mean the axe-door-handle thing, that was really, really, really (x10) ... stupid, it was the door, through which they came in. :eek: :D

Girls mature faster than boys! :P

• @ZeroShoot said: Yeah i liked him as a person in the end too, but he is not realiable in a ZA, and definitly nobody you want to have around in such a scenario... :rolleyes:

I think Carley might have been able to put some seed in his manhood, but Lilly took care of that.

• @Mornai said: i think it's highly likely Ben had more than two friends in the entire world. Plus, if Lee chooses to threaten Ben when he reveals that he was the one giving them supplies, why would he lie? Lee outright says he can toss him off the train and nobody would know. There was absolutely no reason to lie there, especially if he knew his life was in danger.

I think Ben giving them supplies had no beneficial effects whatsoever. The bandits stopped attacking, but in a way i think this was worse. They completely halted all the attacks, giving the group a false sense of security, as if they had forgotten about them. Thus they let their guard down, and were unprepared for the sudden raid the bandits launched when they didn't find the supplies.

Had Ben not given them supplies, the group would have been more alert and always prepared due to the constant attacks.

well I can think of a few benefits starting with the a halt to the depletion of ammunition, of medical supplies to treat wounded, the time and opportunity to make runs into town to resupply and not have the constant threat of attacks by the bandits on those making the runs, not having to fight a war on two fronts they already were at war with the walkers if your fighting bandits also it doubles the depletion rate of supplies and doubles the threat of attack. It also doesn't appear to me that the group was letting their guard down. There was a constant lookout, defenses were being repaired and strengthened, they were making runs into town to replenish supplies. I don't believe that the sudden and unexplained cease of hostilities would have caused the group to drop thier guard against the bandits much as it didn't against the walkers. The bandits were much more dangerous than the walkers, able to think, scheme, and coordinate, no I believe the sudden cessation of attacks by them would have heightened the suspicions and expectations of the group. Ben's choice of supplying the bandits with meds to halt thier attacks was a viable one, lets face it the bandits had the upper hand here and it was just a matter of time before they got what they wanted. His big mistake was not going to the group with the deal and letting all decide. Then the two best choices would been taking the deal or packing everything up and hauling ass before the bandits caught on.

• @ColtPeacemaker00 said: well I can think of a few benefits starting with the a halt to the depletion of ammunition, of medical supplies to treat wounded, the time and opportunity to make runs into town to resupply and not have the constant threat of attacks by the bandits on those making the runs, not having to fight a war on two fronts they already were at war with the walkers if your fighting bandits also it doubles the depletion rate of supplies and doubles the threat of attack. It also doesn't appear to me that the group was letting their guard down. There was a constant lookout, defenses were being repaired and strengthened, they were making runs into town to replenish supplies. I don't believe that the sudden and unexplained cease of hostilities would have caused the group to drop thier guard against the bandits much as it didn't against the walkers. The bandits were much more dangerous than the walkers, able to think, scheme, and coordinate, no I believe the sudden cessation of attacks by them would have heightened the suspicions and expectations of the group. Ben's choice of supplying the bandits with meds to halt thier attacks was a viable one, lets face it the bandits had the upper hand here and it was just a matter of time before they got what they wanted. His big mistake was not going to the group with the deal and letting all decide. Then the two best choices would been taking the deal or packing everything up and hauling ass before the bandits caught on.

We saw how well a attack on the motor inn worked. More than half of the bandits ended up dead or woundend and later dead. They acted more than stupid and should have acted in a other way, when they wanted to kill everybody there. Even if they wanted to threaten everyone to give them the medical supplies and food they have.

• Does anybody know how the bandits even managed to survive in the woods without enclosed protection with walkers roaming around all hours of the day?

I actually find it odd they didn't try to take over the motel to have a protected shelter, let alone demand supplies.

• @Robbingrobin said: We saw how well a attack on the motor inn worked. More than half of the bandits ended up dead or woundend and later dead. They acted more than stupid and should have acted in a other way, when they wanted to kill everybody there. Even if they wanted to threaten everyone to give them the medical supplies and food they have.

That's cause Lee (and potentially Carley) had super-shooting skills.

Add Comment