User Avatar Image

Ben

posted by Platinumb on - last edited - Viewed by 575 users

Why the constant hatred?

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Platinumb said: It seems that most of what Ben took for the bandits were hard drugs like Oxycontin for them to get high off of, not so much food or "necessary" medicine.

Having drugs to relieve pain would be nice, but not necessary to heal someone from bad injury or illness.

I agree 100% he should have confided in someone who wasn't Lilly, especially if Lee had been super-nice to him, but I have an inkling he might have in Carley just by the way she acted and where she was standing during the beginning of Episode 3.

It would have made sense to tell Carley. She comes across as quite understanding and Lilly implies they spoke a lot, but i don't think he did.

She speaks to Lee in that very scene about how its better his secret is revealed by him rather than Lilly so if she knew she'd probably have said the same to Ben rather than ask Lee to investigate and potentially have him get found out.

• @Platinumb said: I think he was numb/in shock at that point. He does say he thinks he hurt his leg; he probably can't even feel the spike in his chest :( (So I can't give him kudos for not screaming/carrying him on there!)

Well, shock or not, he looks at the thing so he knows its in there. In his defense, I would have probably screamed "What the fuck?!" in his position. I mean, seriously. After seeing the spike through him, Ben finally knew what Lee and the player felt in Crawford when he showed them his borrowed hatchet.

• I'm sure others already know but I only found this out recently.You can have Lee interact with Ben when he's choosing what to do with the teacher caught in the bear trap,I can't believe that I always missed this in my previous playthroughs!

Lee can talk with Ben 3 or 4 times and try to reassure him(he's panicking,what a surprise!) until Lee finally tells him to shut up and Ben answers back with "screw you man!" and then storms off :D
    it made me laugh.

• @Rock114 said: Well, shock or not, he looks at the thing so he knows its in there. In his defense, I would have probably screamed "What the fuck?!" in his position. I mean, seriously. After seeing the spike through him, Ben finally knew what Lee and the player felt in Crawford when he showed them his borrowed hatchet.

My impression was that the impact/pain/blood loss was making him delirious. He actually seemed quite happy at one point.

• @Rock114 said: I don't hate Ben, even though I've called him retarded a few times. He is, but I don't hate him. He's also (or at least used to be) a huge coward. Personally, I agree that handing the bandits some supplies so that they stop trying to murder us is a good thing, but only as long as everyone knows about it. What if Lee got shot, or broke a leg on a supply run to Macon? Kenny barely manages to haul him back to the motor inn, blood everywhere and walkers on their tail, Lee starts to fade, so Lilly runs to get some medicine. But wait! There's a plot twist! There's not enough medicine to save him because someone didn;t let the group know that they didn't have as may supplies as they thought they did. Lee dies. Stuff like that could have happened to anyone because Ben never told the group. If he'd come forward with the bandits' offer before the raid, and asked what I thought, I'd tell him he was actually pretty smart to think of ggetting the bandits off our backs that way. Hell, I'd even go up to Lilly and say "We should really do this, sooner or later the bandits will get lucky." But nope. He kept it from us, which resulted in the raid. Then the group imploded.

I'm not saying it was solely Ben. Everyone in the group had a part in its failure. Larry being an asshole to anyone who wasn't named Lilly, Kenny and Lilly always fighting to be the leader, Carley/Doug, Lee, Mark, and Katjaa for not getting more involved and letting the two of them slug it out like they did. Kenny killing Larry (even though I sided with him and think it had to be done, this was still an important factor). Ben's majorly stupid handling of the bandit situation was the final straw that broke the group, but it could have been prevented, or at least lessened if he'd actually come forward earlier.

It's just a shame he dies no matter what. I actually started to warm up to the kid in Episode 5 (secondary save file. I dropped him in my main play). He actually stands up for himself, and doesn't feel obligated to always agree with Kenny because of Kat and Duck. He gains confidence and competence. When the walkers are breaking down the doors and storming the house, he isn't panicking. He's actively helping the group hold the line, and even manages to shoot two walkers in the stand at the attic ladder, which is quite impressive since we've never seen him fire a gun until that point. He has enough of what few wits he has about him, and saves Carley's Glock for Lee when he drops it. He even actually manages to be really quiet in the alley for someone who just got impaled through the chest by a metal spike after falling two stories. When the walkers are closing in, he doesn't say "Save me, please!", he just says "Don't let them get me!" He realized exactly how bad the situation was, and wanted them to just shoot him and run instead of dying trying to save him. Given enough time, he could have become an important and able member of the group. RIPieces Ben.

I agree with alot of what you say here bud, I believe most of the meds that the bandits wanted were opium based, at least I think I recall Lilly informing Lee that most of the missing meds were, and were obviously used by the group as painkillers, but probably by the bandits to get high. Good to ease the pain but no real medicinal value. There must have been some anti-biotics but it seems the bandits were looking more to party than for any healing properties.

• @ColtPeacemaker00 said: I agree with alot of what you say here bud, I believe most of the meds that the bandits wanted were opium based, at least I think I recall Lilly informing Lee that most of the missing meds were, and were obviously used by the group as painkillers, but probably by the bandits to get high. Good to ease the pain but no real medicinal value. There must have been some anti-biotics but it seems the bandits were looking more to party than for any healing properties.

I thought she said that the anti-biotics were going missing as well. Run out of those without knowing it, and someone is going to have a very bad day the next time they get sick.

• @ZeroShoot said: Oh another thing, he slipped the bandits supplies because they said they had a friend of his as a hostage, didn't he? I bet my ass he didn't even ask them something like: "okay, if you have my friend, what's his name?" Those are people who kill other people, attack them, threaten them, but Ben believes that there is no way they would lie to him?

Playing the game again, I notice Ben says "he" in reference to the friend the bandits supposedly kidnapped, which means they didn't keep a female companion of his as a sex slave. Which means:
    1) yeah, that was pretty stupid of Ben
    2) he really was lying to Lee about why he was helping about the bandits

• @The Fallen said:
    She speaks to Lee in that very scene about how its better his secret is revealed by him rather than Lilly so if she knew she'd probably have said the same to Ben rather than ask Lee to investigate and potentially have him get found out.

good point. she can't know for sure if she says it's smart for Lee to follow up on stolen supplies.

• @Rock114 said: Well, shock or not, he looks at the thing so he knows its in there. In his defense, I would have probably screamed "What the fuck?!" in his position. I mean, seriously. After seeing the spike through him, Ben finally knew what Lee and the player felt in Crawford when he showed them his borrowed hatchet.

I think Ben knew what that "borrowed" hatchet meant as soon as the zombies busted through the glass doors :P

• @Platinumb said: I think Ben knew what that "borrowed" hatchet meant as soon as the zombies busted through the glass doors :P

BenHatchet_zpsde33d352.png

Add Comment