User Avatar Image

Theology

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet, but there are a lot of down to earth and rational people on this forum so I decided to give it a go.

I want to hear your beliefs. Also, try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's opinions. I don't care weather you're a fanatic catholic, fanatic atheist or whatever. Arguing about "who's right" is just a terrible cliche.

Personally I believe that there is a god. I'm not agnostic, I believe in god, but that's just my own spiritual reflection on it. I don't judge other religions and say that "this is right", it's more along the lines of Baruch de Spinoza's take on it where you see god as everything. Maybe there's a word for what that is, I don't know. I prefer to look at everything that is beyond our understanding with humility. Most of my religious knowledge lies within catholicism and I generally agree with the ten commandments, but I also believe that the religion is blurred for the sake of politics, ways of maintaining order and fanatic influences (edit: + things that are lost in translation). In short, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so it's possible that I won't be able to keep up with the discussion. I'd just like to hear your views :)

305 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Then do you think it is wrong to play games that take the lord name in vein if you believe in God? Or play games with too much cursing and violence?

• @Lil Kis said: take the lord name in vein

Wait. What? You're injecting names into your bloodstream? Far be it from me to judge... but that's a bit weird.

Taking the Lord's name in vain, however... well, that's one of the 10 "never do this under any circumstances" rules, right? You just have to decide for yourself what's right, I guess. I mean, would typing "OMG" be the same as "goddammit"? I dunno. And I certainly don't know what the status is on video games since the Bible is curiously silent about them. Maybe there's a supplement to help with that sort of thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Since you're not the one who is committing those acts and saying those things in violent video games (or movies, books, music, etc.), there shouldn't be a problem reconciling your enjoyment of those things with your following the Bible's ten commandments (or other moral guidelines).

If you're a strong believer of following those moral guidelines, then there's no chance that playing, watching, reading, listening to, or in any way experiencing anything that goes against those guidelines is ever going to get you to do or say those things yourself. And in the end, that's what really matters.

• I am Catholic. I believe in most of the dogmas, such as Jesus being son of God, the divine Trinity,... But I think the most important thing is that the Bible is that it has to be read like a book of moral teachings that people should apply in their everyday life, not like a reliable historical account or being followed by the letter.

• Is there anyone on these forums who is Jewish or Buddhist? It seems because of this thread that there are only Christians, Theists, Agnostics, and Atheists.

BTW, “Oh my God” is not a statement of blasphemy.

• @Noname215 said: BTW, “Oh my God” is not a statement of blasphemy.

Maybe not, but it's just as offensive to my ears simply because I've heard it so freakin' much (particularly in American television). The expression is uttered so much in Western culture that it should just be outlawed due to over-use.

@Noname215 said: I am Catholic. I believe in most of the dogmas, such as Jesus being son of God, the divine Trinity,... But I think the most important thing is that the Bible is that it has to be read like a book of moral teachings that people should apply in their everyday life, not like a reliable historical account or being followed by the letter.

We still need to consider the historical side of it, though. We need to consider every aspect of the Bible, actually. Context is everything! Much of what is written in there is only exclusively applicable to specific groups of people, during certain time periods, within certain cultures. We need to study the historical context so that we don't make the mistake of following the Bible by the letter.

Also, if we are to put our trust in such a book, and consider it a teaching of accurate, beneficial morality, then we need to study the historicity of it, and make sure that it can stand on its own two feet historically. Because if the historical veracity of the book is compromised, then the credibility of the rest of the book's content goes down with it.

The way we're meant to approach the Bible is to do so as a whole, to consider the big picture surrounding the text. And history is a part of that context. We can't just look at it as a book of lessons, because it's so much more; it claims to be so much more! It claims to be a historical source, so we have to treat it accordingly.

• @Noname215 said: Is there anyone on these forums who is Jewish or Buddhist? It seems because of this thread that there are only Christians, Theists, Agnostics, and Atheists.

BTW, “Oh my God” is not a statement of blasphemy.

I call myself Buddhist Atheist as I agree with the principles and idea of buddhism and it is one religion that does not actually have a God
    It is a religion I agree with and is a lot more flexible and is about living a good life and how all life is equal

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Hudomonkey said: I call myself Buddhist Atheist as I agree with the principles and idea of buddhism and it is one religion that does not actually have a God
    It is a religion I agree with and is a lot more flexible and is about living a good life and how all life is equal

Buddhism is definitely a very interesting religion, and it is often practiced alongside other religions. There's probably a lot more practicing Buddhists in the world than recorded by census because of this.

What branch of Buddhism do you follow, Theravada, Mahayana, or Vajrayana (or a combination)? I'm more inclined towards the Mahayana teachings since I believe that it is possible for those who have reached nirvana to regress, since even the most principled human being still can stumble (and, optimistically, I also believe that after regression they still have the ability to reach nirvana once more).

• I'm an honorary Buddhist. I got a perfect score on my Buddhism test in high school, so my teacher gave me a tiny statue of Buddha and declared me an honorary member.

More seriously, I've always liked Buddhism. I think it's a very practical sort of religion and doesn't have any of those hidden clauses that require you to treat other people badly. If there was one religion that I think would be the closest in accuracy to the state of the Universe, I'd go with Buddhism. (It's also nice that you don't need to adopt it as a religion either. It's a perfectly valid philosophy. And unlike religions, you can follow multiple philosophies)

Add Comment