User Avatar Image

Saving Ben

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 505 users

While saving Ben, he says there's no time to save him. So why is it nothing bad happens if you save him. Here's what should have happened:

If you dropped Ben, Lee gets away clean, with no bite and survives episode 5.

If you save him though, Lee gets bitten on the way out. Ben survives through episode 5 as well, taking Lee's place.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Platinumb said: I would say the only person he really "gets" killed is Brie. He picked a bad time to unveil his soul to Kenny.

And she probably should have been looking at the door and talking, knowing zombies are a foot. In fact, I believe that it's the callousness of the rest of the group members that cause her to lose her attention, not Ben's admission. She seems like a sweet person, and people threatening a teenager probably horrified her.

He put the group in bad situations, no doubt. But plenty of other characters did, from going to the St. Johns' farm without their own weapons to Lee entering an abandoned house with a little girl to Lilly sending everyone on dangerous runs to Clem running away from the group and safety because a stranger told her to. It just so happened the situations Ben put everyone in tended to be the ones somebody (liked) didn't escape from.

Yeah i dont mean to turn him into the devil nobody makes it through without bad moments, but throughout episode 3&4 until the point where you have the option to drop him, 5 deaths can be linked back to his mistakes. Its harsh to call him the main cause for more than 2 of them, but he's a factor in too many. That's clearly something the developers had in mind with this choice.

• @Rock114 said: Hell, if Ben actually survived Episode 5 I'd pull him up every time. Even if it meant Lee dying. But seeing as he doesn't, I'm more inclined to drop him because it really doesn't matter if he dies at Crawford or in the alley.

I don't think it's about his death as how he dies.

No one can prevent the alley death. Lee is part of the cause of the Crawford death, because he can prevent it.

I.e. it's not the what, it's the how and why.

• Fun fact: The writers of episode 4 originally envisioned that if you dropped Ben, you agree with Crawford's rules of "Survival of the fittest." If you pulled him up, you reject those rules.

• @Zeruis said: Fun fact: The writers of episode 4 originally envisioned that if you dropped Ben, you agree with Crawford's rules of "Survival of the fittest." If you pulled him up, you reject those rules.

Never really thought of it that way :o I'm pretty sure most people dropped him because they are either pro-Kenny or they just hate his guts xD

• @Zeruis said: Fun fact: The writers of episode 4 originally envisioned that if you dropped Ben, you agree with Crawford's rules of "Survival of the fittest." If you pulled him up, you reject those rules.

I get that.

Notice how it's Crawford's leader, dead after committing suicide by hanging from the belltower ala Hitler-style, that grabs Ben at the last minute in an attempt to devour him...

• @Platinumb said: I think they had that scene to hold in stark contrast to Irene's, quite honestly.

Irene was bitten and had no choice of continuing to leave.

Ben was a panicky, depressed teen feeling guilty.

And I wouldn't call it assisted suicide. He was throwing Ben to the wolves, like Larry wanted to throw Duck to them.

Ben tells Lee to let him go, how is that not assisted suicide? :p Lee even has the option to point out that Ben wanted to die in the Bell Tower.

• @Platinumb said:

Notice how it's Crawford's leader, dead after committing suicide by hanging from the belltower ala Hitler-style, that grabs Ben at the last minute in an attempt to devour him...

Hitler style?!?

• @Robbingrobin said: Hitler style?!?

I just meant Hitler commits suicide, and so does Crawford's leader.

I've been very ill with the flu, so forgive me if my sentence organization is mid-par.

• @Platinumb said: I just meant Hitler commits suicide, and so does Crawford's leader.

I've been very ill with the flu, so forgive me if my sentence organization is mid-par.

No, I just didn't understand the comparasion. Many people committed suicide.

Oh, and the guy was called Crawford Oberson. The more you know.

• @Robbingrobin said: No, I just didn't understand the comparasion. Many people committed suicide.

Oh, and the guy was called Crawford Oberson. The more you know.

Well, the guy ran the place like Hitler...

thanks.

Add Comment