User Avatar Image

The boat plan in episode 5 was never going to work

posted by Crixus on - last edited - Viewed by 451 users

Just thinking about episode 5 how even if vernon hadnt stolen the boat it was unlikely to me at least that the group would successfully be able to get the boat out to sea, for one they had no vehicle to transport the boat. the chances of finding a vehicle that hasn't been siphoned for fuel is very unlikely, we dont even know if any character know's how to hotwire a car even if it had fuel, and last but not least the herd is everywhere so it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to get a working vehicle back to the house and then attach a boat to it and get it and offload it at the docks without being overwhelmed. What do you guys think?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JamesDMorgan said: Well, Vernon did all that somehow, apparently, since the boat is gone with all of his group.
    Doing all of that might be very hard indeed, but not impossible. Remember, Crawford still might have working vehicles or gas or other supplies. Group could've return there and search more. Everything works as long as there's some hope and at least some plan to follow.

    they may have been stuck and killed in the middle of a street the group didn't go down, though.

  • Wasn't the boat on rolls? To hang it on a car? You could just shove it, I guess.

  • @BlackBoxx said: Of course it wouldn't work. That's why I kept telling Clementine that we were going to split off and go our own way. I just wonder why I never had the option to bring it up to anyone else but Kenny. It probably would have changed the conversation with Vernon.

    "Do you really think getting on a boat is the best thing for her?"

    No. That's why we're not getting on it.

    "Oh.... Never mind then."

    But, assuming the boat did make it to the water, I think there would be a reasonable chance at survival, but little else. Kenny is a fisherman. He knows how to get food that zombies don't have access to. Barring allergies, anyone on a boat with him should be able to survive easily. The only setback is that there would be little to do while on the boat. It wasn't exactly a luxury yacht. You can sit, and talk. Nothing more. Either they would have to dock very frequently to cook their food and stretch their legs, or they bore themselves to death.

    Biggest problem I've pointed out before when it came to the boat plan was water. That's pretty much always the biggest issue in a survival scenario; dehydration will kill in three days or less, starvation takes weeks. Your average person in a hot climate needs atleast two gallons of fresh water per day for drinking and sanitation (more if they're physically active). At about 8 lbs. per gallon, times 2, that's 16 lbs. for each person's daily supply, and you're supposed to have enough for three days: that pops it up to nearly 50 lbs. per person, times a theoretical group of five people, that's over 250 lbs. of water.

    Hell, the boat plan didn't even really solve the food problem; it's not even enough to simply have food, but the right kinds of food. You can't really live on just fish; that way lies Scurvy or Beriberi and probably another horrible disease or two I'm forgetting about.

  • @Rock114 said: Agreed. Even though I wanted to find a boat, I wanted to be more clear on what exactly we would do once we were out on the water. The group should have been making those plans after getting back from Crawford.

    Same here. I wasn't inherently against getting a boat, it just seemed like Kenny's plan ended after "Boat in water." What are we going to do for food? Even if Kenny is a fisherman he can't will fish into a boat without some fishing gear, and I don't think we could survive on fish alone without getting scurvy. Where would we get fuel? Would we have to make port somewhere? If so where?

    I was actually in a really awkward position in Episode 3 because all though I didn't like Kenny's boat plan, I was still a 100% for leaving the Motor Inn. (The one place we get supplies from is fresh out of goods and full of walkers and there's crazy forest people trying to murder and rape us!) I got really ticked off when Kenny blew off my idea to spend some time searching the mansion for supplies, especially when I found out we had a damn boat the whole time!

    Then again, maybe I'm just bias because I really like the Dawn of the Dead remake, and the whole post ending sequence scared me off the idea of using boats to escape a zombie apocalypse. :eek:

  • @Nuked said: Everything would have worked out if Clementine's dumbass hadnt trusted that creep.

    I know right? And she also indirectly caused Lee's and Kenny's death(Ben if you saved him). Although, she's still a little child and she was still hoping to find out her parent's fate. I just wished they could've left when they had the chance ._.

  • @AnnaSan said: I know right? And she also indirectly caused Lee's and Kenny's death(Ben if you saved him). Although, she's still a little child and she was still hoping to find out her parent's fate. I just wished they could've left when they had the chance ._.

    She was also told by Lee and Christa not to trust or talk to him. Lee should have also told her about the message on the answering machine.

  • @Jaded X Gamer said: Same here. I wasn't inherently against getting a boat, it just seemed like Kenny's plan ended after "Boat in water." What are we going to do for food? Even if Kenny is a fisherman he can't will fish into a boat without some fishing gear, and I don't think we could survive on fish alone without getting scurvy. Where would we get fuel? Would we have to make port somewhere? If so where?

    I was actually in a really awkward position in Episode 3 because all though I didn't like Kenny's boat plan, I was still a 100% for leaving the Motor Inn. (The one place we get supplies from is fresh out of goods and full of walkers and there's crazy forest people trying to murder and rape us!) I got really ticked off when Kenny blew off my idea to spend some time searching the mansion for supplies, especially when I found out we had a damn boat the whole time!

    Then again, maybe I'm just bias because I really like the Dawn of the Dead remake, and the whole post ending sequence scared me off the idea of using boats to escape a zombie apocalypse. :eek:

    Pretty much my observations. I figured the boat plan was a failure waiting to happen from the first time I heard it, said as much right after Ep. 2 was released. There's obviously the dietary issue, e.g. scurvy, as we both pointed out (there's a reason the ships of yesteryear learned to start carrying things like citrus fruits).

    I also considered it doubtful there'd even be a boat to find where we were headed. First, there's the obvious; getting out on a boat wasn't exactly a new idea (as Chuck pointed out), and everybody else had a three-month head start on the group. Second, it's the southeastern U.S. which is known for things like Hurricane Season... and there's no longer a weather service to tell anyone about it (also an obvious issue for anyone that does make it to the water). I thought there was a good chance any port in the area could've been trashed by the time the group got there.

    There's also the supply issue (beyond food), e.g. water. Even a bigger issue with the speedboat they found, it was only capable of holding five people, I dunno where they were supposed to keep a couple hundred pounds of fresh water. That pretty much means you have to regularly go back to port to resupply, and the coastal regions are the most densely populated on the planet (which means a higher concentration of walkers).

    It kinda bugged me we were sorta forced to go along with the boat plan to begin with until we were basically dying anyway. :p

  • @Nuked said: Lee should have also told her about the message on the answering machine.

    He never mentioned that to her, and I wanted to be direct to her when talking about her parents but I keep on telling her that we will find them. Guess it was my fault also for keeping her hopes up x)

  • @AnnaSan said: He never mentioned that to her, and I wanted to be direct to her when talking about her parents but I keep on telling her that we will find them. Guess it was my fault also for keeping her hopes up x)

    Yeah, me too. I wished there was an option to just tell Clem directly. The first message on the machine heavily implied that Clem's real father was bitten, and IIRC, you can hear heavy gunfire in the third message, where Clem's mom sounded pretty desperate, implying that police or military was about to be overrun.

  • @AnnaSan said: He never mentioned that to her, and I wanted to be direct to her when talking about her parents but I keep on telling her that we will find them. Guess it was my fault also for keeping her hopes up x)

    It doesn't give you much of a choice otherwise.

Add Comment