User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Josh Mandel came by the Double Fine Adventure chat to talk about his work on Police Quest today -- his opinion (not that it matters) seemed to be that Telltale had probably lost the license / or wasn't planning on doing anything with it at this point. He didn't really elaborate, didn't seem to be in touch with them.

chat log here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8322/
    (2nd page link)

• Police Quest? What?

EDIT: Oh n/m

• @jonathanfrisby said: Josh Mandel came by the Double Fine Adventure chat to talk about his work on Police Quest today -- his opinion (not that it matters) seemed to be that Telltale had probably lost the license / or wasn't planning on doing anything with it at this point. He didn't really elaborate, didn't seem to be in touch with them.

(2nd page link)

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Hmm, that'd be a shame if TTG lost the KQ license. But with the success of TWD, it might be simply a matter of priority and such.

• @jonathanfrisby said: Josh Mandel came by the Double Fine Adventure chat to talk about his work on Police Quest today -- his opinion (not that it matters) seemed to be that Telltale had probably lost the license / or wasn't planning on doing anything with it at this point. He didn't really elaborate, didn't seem to be in touch with them.

(2nd page link)

Wow, interesting. If he's right, maybe this is good news for KQ fans? I have admired TTG for what they have done for the interactive movie genre (and interactive movies are NOT adventure games), but never had the sense they were the right developer for a grand new KQ game.

I would love to see a competent, passionate development team (who actually loves and understands classic-style/true adventure gaming) secure the KQ rights and bring the series roaring back to life with some epic new adventures.

Seeing as how experienced teams like Replay/NFusion seem to be doing all the right things in rebooting classic series like LSL (and communicating with fans when they can [Josh Mandel is golden]), I know something similar should be possible for KQ.

How much do you think it would cost to get a license? Are we talking in the millions? Activison needs to get with it and license the KQ rights soon, especially with all this renewed interest in the classic Sierra series. As Valanice would say, "Strike while the iron is hot!"

• As Frisby said, that interview means nothing. Barring some sort of court decision, I just don't see how Telltale could have lost the rights by now. Based on their original announcement and the order they've been doing games, KQ really should have been made after Fables. That means the original plan would have been a 2012-2014 release. And Telltale's been around long enough to know things sometimes take longer than originally planned. So I'd say they've got the rights until at least 2015.

Whether they exercise those rights is open for speculation, but it's way too early to declare KQ dead. It's looking like TWD S2 will come after Fables. I can easily imagine a scenario where we hear nothing about KQ for another six months, but it still ends up getting made.

• @mosfet said:
    Whether they exercise those rights is open for speculation, but it's way too early to declare KQ dead.

If after nearly two years of hearing practically nothing about the game is too early to declare it dead, then when can we declare it likely dead? Two and a half years? How about three years? Is 4 years still too early?

It would be one thing if they had shared at least the most basic or minimal amount of details about the game, but they have shared next to nothing. They have shown absolutely no interest in exciting fans or communicating with them in any way whatsoever. They will not even confirm that they still intend to work on a KQ game at some point.

No, the zombies in "The Walking Dead" are more alive than Telltale's KQ ever will be.

• @MtnPeak said: If two years of hearing practically nothing about the game is too early to declare it dead, then when can we declare it likely dead? Two and a half years? How about three years? Is 4 years still too early?

We can start talking after Fables and certainly after TWD S2.

This is how Telltale operates. I'm not saying it's the right way to go about business, but that's how it is. If they care about the state of their forums, I wouldn't expect any early announcements in the future, which is kind of sad.

• If anyone follows Telltale's other forums, and games. Every series they announce, that gets a forum. There is next to nothing on the game, until the game is a month or three from release. No artwork, no talk, etc... They have tight lips. They don't answer to any grumpy demands from the customers. Fables was announced around the time of KQ, and Walking Dead. There was practically no news for walking Dead until 2-3 months before its release. They were announced 2-3 years ago to begin with. The same goes for Fables which was announced 2-3 years ago, and we still know next to nothing about it.

If he's right, maybe this is good news for KQ fans

Either way I'd say bad news.

Activision has attempted to revive KQ twice (and its the third attempt to revive the series tolta, including once under Vivendi U), and if all three attempts have fallen through, Activision may just let the series stay dead. Now for anyone who thinks the series should stay dead, rather than revived in a no so flattering way, it might be good news. But for those who think that the namebrand could be revived and made popular again (even if causes other fans trepidation in the way that its revived), that it might open up the possiblity of the series being developed further, and bigger better things in the future.

However, chances are if three attempts have been made (these attempts have been between 5-6 years appart, IIRC), and the companies have cancelled out each time. They may see that as proof that the series is not viable to resurrect. They probably won't be willing to sell the IP to others, because they at least make a profit through the sell of the old games.

Now, that's not to day that some of these other companies like the ones doing the LSL HD, if they prove to be successful, can't convince Activision to lease the license out to them, to make new KQ games (I personally don't want to see remakes, it is just 'milking' the games, and not progressing it further). But that could be potentially years before you see that happen.

I suppose what's another decade or two as far as a dead series is concerned, going to matter? Well for one thing, the further it goes, the least likely they will have a diverse audience for the games. The original audiences, will die off at some point, as will any developers that had any connection to the games...

• @mosfet said: As Frisby said, that interview means nothing. Barring some sort of court decision, I just don't see how Telltale could have lost the rights by now.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, Telltale could have acquired an option rather than full-scale rights. If they didn't make a start within a specified time, the option would lapse. Also, they've let this wretched thread run on and on for so long that perhaps admitting that they are not proceeding would be an embarrassment. On the other hand, I still want my free game for thinking positive.

• @BagginsKQ said:
    Activision has attempted to revive KQ twice (and its the third attempt to revive the series tolta, including once under Vivendi U), and if all three attempts have fallen through, Activision may just let the series stay dead.

You are not seriously citing the failed KQ9 project from more than a decade ago to support the idea that Activision might be less inclined to license the rights to a new developer today, are you?

I mean, seriously. With the renewed interest in classic adventure series, partly as a result of the numerous Kickstarter adventure game group funding successes, I think it is safe to say that, with regard to the ability to fund new adventure games, 2012/2013 is worlds away from just 4 years ago. Crowd funding or whatever you want to call it has changed the game, and some developers who just a few years ago may have had zero chance at getting additional needed funding might now have a new option that didn't exist previously. Perhaps this could mean that there will be more developers today, who previously might have had the means of acquiring the license but not the ability to also fund a brand new game, will express interest in the KQ rights. I think more interested parties with proven track records of success could actually make Activision more inclined to license the rights to a new developer, should the Telltale thing officially be declared dead.

And I hope, for the sake of the series, that the TTG KQ is declared dead soon. When that happens I will be so happy I will get up and dance nonstop like those skeletons in KQ6's land of the dead.

This discussion has been closed.