User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.5K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Consider this, everybody who's approached ActiVision about reviving a Sierra IP in some way has come back saying that ActiVision said they "have their own plans" for them. The Two Guys asked about Space Quest and got that response. Ken Allen asked if he could rerecord some music he made from older Sierra games for his new music album Kickstarter project, and he got the exact same answer. Consider that Telltale hasn't said anything about KQ in a very long time. And then there's Josh Mandel's recent statement.

• I got the impression the last time they Telltale talked to Josh, they just asked him a few questions, and never got back to him?

As if they planned on making the game on their own, and didn't really want the classic developers input beyond a few token interviews, so they could claim they 'consulted' with them, and had their involvement.

Isn't that basically what happened with Ron Gilbert and Tales of Monkey Island too?

• @FitzoliverJ said: Telltale could have acquired an option rather than full-scale rights. If they didn't make a start within a specified time, the option would lapse.

:cool:

• Consider that Telltale hasn't said anything about KQ in a very long time. And then there's Josh Mandel's recent statement.

When was the last time they said anything mid-2012 or so?

We need to build a timeline!

• This was something said to have been mentioned in July 2012, on Wikipedia... But no one ever verified its veracity, so I question its legitimacy. I could never find a source, despite looking for one.

In July 2012 it was confirmed that the game will use the same gameplay engine as the currently produced The Walking Dead series. It will feature either three or four episodes, and focus on two main characters, both intermittently playable.

It has since been removed (I helped with that, ;)).

As for initial game release date? Apparently back in 2011 they were aiming for a mid to late 2012 release, some time after the Q1 winter 2012 fables release;

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-roberta-williams-advised-telltale-on-king-s-quest-203396.phtml

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/06/e3-2011-telltale/

But as I pointed out nearly everything to pushed back a year partially due to the Jurassic Park fiasco. That could have easily affected the Sierra license if they were on a 'tight' schedule, and the license had an expiration date tied to it.

• FitzoliverJ is barking up the right tree.

Bt

• http://www.gamernode.com/telltale-games-e3-2012-company-spotlight/

This article here, claims that King's Quest got delayed to 2012 release, and then basically vanished off the radar completely.

Could be very well they missed their 'window of opportunity', and ran out of time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/20/telltale-games-to-expand-starting-in-spring-2013/

This article is about the only thing I could find on Telltale into 2013, it doesn't really talk about much of anything beyond the future release of Fable, and building Walking Dead season 2. More cryptic is that they are expanding in size. Are these more developers;/programmers or other types of workers? If the former, what are expanding to make?

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@BagginsKQ said: I got the impression the last time they Telltale talked to Josh, they just asked him a few questions, and never got back to him?

As if they planned on making the game on their own, and didn't really want the classic developers input beyond a few token interviews, so they could claim they 'consulted' with them, and had their involvement.

Isn't that basically what happened with Ron Gilbert and Tales of Monkey Island too?

Ron Gilbert's involvement was more complicated than that. He was employed full time by Hothead Games at the time, so Telltale had to make a contract with Hothead which let him get "loaned" to Telltale for a few weeks. From everything I've heard and read, I get the impression that Telltale would preferred to have Ron work on the game full time, but Ron's contract with Hothead and the work agreement Telltale and Hothead worked out made this impossible.

That said though, those weeks were the brainstorming sessions, where the overarching plot from the story was formed, the character arcs were decided, as well as the personality of the characters as well as some puzzle ideas. The dark tone of the game and the evolution of the characters (such as the Voodoo Lady) had a lot to do with Ron's input.

• If it was for a few weeks, that's alot better than the "day" I heard (Cesar Bittar's claim IIRC).

Apparently according to this interview it was a 'week';

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=82089

• Hopefully we'll know either way in the near future if Telltale is doing a KQ game.

This discussion has been closed.