User Avatar Image

The Great Sherlock Thread

posted by Ribs on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

Oh, hello, I didn't see you there!

You either clicked on this thread for one of three reasons. You either;
A. Was curious about it's contents and had no interest in the topic.
B. Thought this thread was discussing the Ritchie films
or C. Wished to discuss the masterful BBC and PBS produced 'Sherlock' series, ran by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

sherlockr.png

If you chose Option C, you are correct! That's right, the fantastic adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson shall continue starting New Years Day on BBC1 and each Sunday thereafter for a whopping three further weeks (insert 'Wow! Three Whole Weeks!'s)

If you've yet to experience the pure joy of the first series, it is available on Netflix streaming and on DVD (Amazon: US and UK).

Now then, let's get to the discussion, eh! Why not start with some thoughts on the first episode, Steven Moffat's "A Study in Pink"?

248 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: It's not Sherlock Holmes in the traditional sense - it's more a variant on a police procedural show - but it's still pretty good.

Yup, on the grand scale of recent big hit CBS procedural shows, I'd put it at:
    1. The Mentalist (nothing wrong with it, essentially just a less-light-hearted Psych)
    2. Elementary (just a very well-done procedural)
    3. Person of Interest (okay enough, but every. single. episode. has the twist that the person they think will be the victim ends up being the criminal)
    4. Hawaii Five-O (obscene amounts of blatant product placement drags down a very forgettable show(bing it, you'll see))

Person of Interest did stop us getting Odd Jobs, the procedural where Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson play an eccentric billionaire and his butler who solve crimes, so I'll never forgive it.

• @coolsome said: I like Jeremy Brett's Holmes.

I'm with you on that. I especially liked the episode with the guy aping Peter Lorre.

• And I will never forget the comic of Deadpool Corps that had all the Deadpools put on their own version of Hawaii Five-O. It was gorgeous. Even though I've never watched the show, that's why I will remember it forever.

• @Darth Marsden said: It's not Sherlock Holmes in the traditional sense - it's more a variant on a police procedural show - but it's still pretty good.

Hmm maybe I'll give it a spin some time. I need my Sherlock fix since the BBC show won't be back until the fall. And yes, I do know they are two different takes on the character.

• @inm8#2 said: Hmm maybe I'll give it a spin some time. I need my Sherlock fix since the BBC show won't be back until the fall. And yes, I do know they are two different takes on the character.

The show will likely be back sometime between August and January this coming year - there's a chance they'll be in post-production hyperdrive to get it out sooner.

US people get it in May 2014 though due to the weird way Masterpiece Theatre runs.

• Also, I feel that in the spirit of this thread, I should mention that I watched The Great Mouse Detective last night. It was brilliant and I'm still terrified of that bat.

• @Ribs said: The show will likely be back sometime between August and January this coming year - there's a chance they'll be in post-production hyperdrive to get it out sooner.

US people get it in May 2014 though due to the weird way Masterpiece Theatre runs.

Ah man I can't wait that long!

• Is there a legit way to watch Elementary online? I'm mildly curious about it

• So, uh, thoughts on Elementary's take on Moriarty?

• @Darth Marsden said: So, uh, thoughts on Elementary's take on Moriarty?

I haven't watched the show, but is he some sort of Islamic terrorist? Because that's exactly what I expect from a CBS procedural with a female Watson.

Add Comment