Katjaa
Duck
Chuck
Brie
Kenny's will to live
Kenny

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I didn't say he was Superman.

I just said a shovel has the possibility of being used over and over again. 8-10 shots from a gun kill 8-10 zombies at most. That is why I think Chuck chose to be the one to stay behind.

• @Rock114 said: I find it hard to believe that Ben wasn't responsible for Brie's death.

He wasn't - contest winner remember?

Ben was merely the scapegoat. :p

• I know it's horrible but I'm actually kind of happy that Ben died. He'd probably get Clementine, Omid, or Christa killed at some point if he were still around...

• @J_Scheff said: Agree with this almost 100%. These would definitely not be murders. If he was being held in court for these deaths his conviction would be that of involuntary manslaughter or more specifically negligent manslaughter.

But yes, he is responsible for all their deaths.

Actually, a good chunk of these deaths occurred when he was stealing stuff, including controlled substances; that would make it felony murder. :p

• @Rommel49 said: Actually, a good chunk of these deaths occurred when he was stealing stuff, including controlled substances; that would make it felony murder. :p

Haha i stand corrected. I hadnt even thought of that! Good job! lol

• It's everyone's fault for allowing him to join the group.

• @LauriNicole said: It's everyone's fault for allowing him to join the group.

Or not supervising him closely enough.

I'd almost forgotten, but I did a LP of Ep. 4 with an eye to putting it on YouTube. But the audio was just awful because I live on a major street in Brooklyn with constant traffic noise and sirens.

However I recently listened to it again and was really struck by how much I hated his guts throughout the episode, largely stemming from his abandonment of Clem at the beginning. At the voting scene I opted to kick him out, but when he was dangling I pulled him up. My inner Capt. Kirk kicked in and in retrospect I'm glad it did.

Which brings me to how I now feel about him, which is that despite his height and physical maturity he was still a kid who needed adult supervision but got none.

Ben had the bad luck to be pushed into a world where he needed to grow up fast without the guidance to properly do so.

• None of them are murder, but most of them are his fault.

• I actually debated before that Lilly is actually to blame for Ben not coming clean on the deal with the bandits.

If Lilly had been the kind of leader that inspires trust in people, instead of the kind of person she was, than Ben would have come to her with the offer the bandits made instead of keep it to himself. Now, he felt he could not share it with her so did it all behind her back. Which caused the paranoia and, through that, the deaths of Doug/Carley, Katjaa and Duck.

Him feeling guilty for those deaths comes from his own sense of guilt, but in the same debate.. his entire guilt and the deaths coming from that (Brie and Kenny) are then also on Lilly's shoulder.

If you follow that through, than Ben was nothing but a victim of circumstances created by an untrusting Lilly who did not inspire the group of survivors to be open and honest to each other.

Not saying it's the best way to see it, just that it is very much not black and white here. Just because he feels he is to blame, doesn't mean he is.

• Following that idea, how trusting would you be of group members who had a hand in smashing your dad's head in with a salt-lick?

Add Comment