User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 43.6K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: Any recommendations?

No complications.

There was a convention to help raise money for Cancer research held by Janet Fielding yesterday, meaning we get some lovely photos of four Doctors doing a panel together:
    four_doctors.jpg

And here's Paul McGann leaving the event:
    paul_in_tardis.jpg

Oddly, despite attending the event, Colin Baker wasn't on the panel!

• It's Tom Baker's birthday. Happy Birthday Tom!

• the picture is of Paul Arriving at the event. which was NOT in aid of cancer research, rather for a project championed by Janet: http://projectmotormouth.org.uk/?page_id=45

Colin was unable to attend in the morning (when this panel was held) due to work commitments, however he arrived around 3.30 PM for the autograph session.

:)

• well, the report states that William Hartnell had died before the three doctors (1973), however, he passed away in 1975.

simple enough fact to check up on: quick google on his name and first entry will clear that one up.

aside from being VERY lazy a journalist, i sincerely doubt this will bear fruit (much as i'd like it to be true). what i WILL say is that something was slipped by one of the actors over the weekend which has kept me smiling, but i cannot tell you what he (or she) said, or if it was simply a well timed wind-up ;)

• The article itself -

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/tv/eleven-time-lords-to-feature-in-50th-1228442

And Bleeding Cool's take

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/21/another-report-doctor-who-special-to-reunite-all-eleven-doctors-and-is-clara-already-set-to-leave/

I say we all insist that it's true. That way Moffat will have to change his plans and do this instead.

(Soooo, do I subscribe to "Destiny of the Doctor" or not? Wasn't impressed by hte first episode, but then it won't be the same writer or actor or characters in the later episodes)

• @FitzoliverJ said:
    (Soooo, do I subscribe to "Destiny of the Doctor" or not? Wasn't impressed by hte first episode, but then it won't be the same writer or actor or characters in the later episodes)

It's got a fairly great line-up of writers overall, the next one by Simon Guerrier who does the best (bar none) Companion Chronicles full stop, plus it'll have Frazer Hines doing his exemplary Doctor voice. That's then followed by a story by Andrew Smith (who wrote Full Circle, but also the fantastic The First Sontarans), featuring Yates' first meeting with Dr. Who. We don't know much except titles and authors for the next few (which are: Babblesphere by Jonathan Morris (4), Smoke and Mirrors by Steve Lyons (5), Trouble in Paradise by Nev Fountain (6), Shockwave by James Swallow (7)), but they're all good writers, and seeing as Nev Fountain did such a good job with Peri in the Picson Paradox (due to his -er, intimate relationship with Nicola Bryant), I'd say that one's at least going to be pretty good.

Then comes to more exciting stuff, which is the probably-time-war story by Alan Barnes and the NuWho audios, which are probably going to be worth it just for the new feel and the chance it'll encourage future collaboration between AudioGo and Big Finish on NuWho things. Cavan Scott and Mark Wright write the Ninth Doctor one, and they did the Project audios as well as the Peladon CC which are great.

I'm unsure about the recurring theme of the future Doctor providing valuable hints to help solve each release's "problem", as I'm afraid the November release (The Time Machine) will just be Matt Smith going around and solving each problem with little substance beyond that.

Plus, it's a fantastic price if you get the downloads. It's worth noting that Nigel Robinson, though fantastic in most other ranges and in novelizing, hasn't really had very fantastically recieved Companion Chronicles - I'd say, of the eleven authors, he's the one I was most cautious about not being able to do a good story. He did a fine job full of atmosphere this time around thats much better than his past efforts, but it's not a huge highlight in the grand scale of the CC style stories.

Add Comment