User Avatar Image

how old are you?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 5.1K users

I'm curious to know how old everyone here was when you started playing adventure games. (And, how old are you now?) I have a hunch that many of the people who post here started with LucasArts games, but I'm curious to find out if that's really true.

Me, I started at around age 10 (I'm now 28). The first game I played was Leisure Suit Larry 1. :)) After that I moved on to King's Quest games. I never even heard of LucasArts until years later (2001 or so) when I started posting on forums. Not sure how I missed those games, because I used to go into software stores all the time to buy Sierra games, but it could be that I was so focused on Sierra that I never looked at what else was on the shelf. [:">]

How about you?

430 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]Well I'm 15 so... I guess I played Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego and Escape from Horrorland back when I was 7 or so. Hardly the best games I know :) .[/quote]

I loved Carmen Sandiego. :) I don't think I owned Where in Time, but kids I babysat for did, and I played it at their house with them. I had Where in the USA and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

Another game that I really liked but isn't quite an adventure game is Oregon Trail. I actually picked this up a couple of years ago at a thrift store... good times. I loved shooting those buffalo. :))

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The first adventure game I remember playing was King's Quest 1, the old CGA, bootable version. I was something like 10-12 (I am 30 now). I took me nearly one year to finish it (I wasn't speaking a single word of English at the time so it didn't help ). My second one was Maniac Mansion.

Gersen

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

My first adventure game was Voodoo Castle for the Vic-20 while I was still in single digits. After that, I played a few random games here and there, like King's Quest and Where the Stink is Carmen SanDiego. I didn't really get into computer games until I started high school in 1990. My first games then were Where in Time is Carmen SanDiego, Hero's Quest, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

My first adventure game was Space Quest 3 when I was 10. The first adventure game that I got absolutely addicted to enough to complete was Maniac Mansion for the NES.

• [quote]My first adventure game was Voodoo Castle for the Vic-20 while I was still in single digits. After that, I played a few random games here and there, like King's Quest and Where the Stink is Carmen SanDiego. I didn't really get into computer games until I started high school in 1990. My first games then were Where in Time is Carmen SanDiego, Hero's Quest, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.[/quote]

Man, Carmen Sandiego... I remember the first releases of those games that came with paperback reference books in the box. That was awesome. I think I still have the (now very outdated) almanac that came with Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego somewhere :)

• User Avatar Image
    Heatherlee Telltale Staff

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember playing King's Quest II on an all amber screen. I think I played it all in one or two sittings.

Before that I had a version of Zork for the Atari 800, (which I didn't get very far on...I was too young to understand why it wasn't liking what I was typing). I also had some weird graphical adventure game on the Atari called....Gwendolyn I think? It was similar to Zork and Adventure, where you ran around a huge underground dungeon finding treasures and using them to solve puzzles. And getting lost because you fouled up the map despite the fact that you had been extra extra careful drawing it...

Now that I think about it, I actually had a few adventure type games for the Atari, like Snooper Troops (??) and The Search for the Most Amazing Thing. Which I still want to play again some day.

I loved Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. I also think I must still have my Almanac somewhere that came with the game. I learned alot from that game! Too bad I've forgotten almost all of it now...

• I played Sierra's the Black Cauldron (which was trash) and an Infocom game called Wishbringer as well as the Hitchhikers Guide game (both of which I enjoyed but was terrible at) when I was too young to remember, but I seriously started playing adventure games after playing Monkey Island 2 on my Mac when I was, erm 11.

• Is the Hitchhiker's Guide the one that came with a piece of lint?

• [quote]Is the Hitchhiker's Guide the one that came with a piece of lint?[/quote]

I don't know I played a pirated version ¬ ¬

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Is the Hitchhiker's Guide the one that came with a piece of lint?[/quote]

Yes, it included a piece of pocket fluff, a microscopic space fleet, and peril-sensitive sunglasses.

Add Comment