User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 200.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Doctor Who is also available on Netflix.

As a fan of Doctor Who, I started watching the new series' from the beginning (ie. the ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston), but if you just want to watch it to see if you might be interested, I'd recommend watching David Tennant's 10th Doctor.

although Christopher Eccleston is a great actor, i just didn't think he was doctor who and that put me off so i never watched the david tennant one, and what little i did see of it (some Christmas episodes and odd bits) it didn't seem very sci fi to me, more a soap opera with a sonic screwdriver tacked on, is this common? or have i mainly just seen the soppy drama/weak sci fi bits?

i have just realised i haven't given it a chance since maybe 2008-9 but still i cant watch it unless i watch it all, so i will have to watch all of david tennant doctor before i see matt smith

• Doctor Who is more fantasy than sci-fi. The "science" generally makes sense within the universe, but it's always subject to change given the enormous number of writers the series has had. If you want to see what the show is capable of without too many spoilers, I'd suggest watching Blink. It's a standalone episode and gives you a great taste without too much character backstory to slog through.

Also, if you don't like Blink, then the show probably isn't for you.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Alcoremortis said: If you want to see what the show is capable of without too many spoilers, I'd suggest watching Blink. It's a standalone episode and gives you a great taste without too much character backstory to slog through.

Seconded. Blink is always my go-to episode for introducting people to Doctor Who.

• @puzzlebox said: Seconded. Blink is always my go-to episode for introducting people to Doctor Who.

Rose is a good ep to introduce people as well.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Girl in the Fireplace.

All right, it's Blink in reality. But let's face it, Blink isn't really much about the Doctor. ;)

• Soooo ... everybody here is talking about Doctor Who. And I have to admit that I had to look up Doctor Who in wikipedia, because I didn't even know that it is a TV series prior to those posts.

• @Vainamoinen said:
    All right, it's Blink in reality. But let's face it, Blink isn't really much about the Doctor. ;)

That's actually why I chose it. The Doctor is a very strange character with so much backstory that it's a bit intimidating to try to figure out who he is and why he's doing stuff without context. Since he barely shows up in Blink, there's a nice way of seeing how the show generally operates without having to deal with all of that.

• @Vainamoinen said: Girl in the Fireplace.

This was actually my introduction episode and honestly I'd recommend it over Blink. First of all because I'm that weird fan that honestly didn't like Blink as much as everyone else did, but also because Blink is one of those tonal exception episodes. Now, those are important bits of punctuation that define what Who is as a show, but like all punctuation it doesn't really do much without a context-setting sentence.

• Also Girl in Fireplace has all the hallmarks the series has in one ep drama, scary monsters, futuristic space station, period past environment.

This discussion has been closed.