User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 44.7K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Bought the new Bad Religion album, "True North" on vinyl and boy-oh-boy is it awesome.

19910.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

27XGGot.jpg

My initial team consists of the Time Traveller, the Knight, and the Hillbilly. The design effort that must have gone into making each scenario solvable with ANY combination of three characters is kind of mind-bending.

• @puzzlebox said: The design effort that must have gone into making each scenario solvable with ANY combination of three characters is kind of mind-bending.

You'd think, but sadly not. The characters differ mainly in their "special abilities", which are all but useless in the "general puzzle" sections. The game is split into sections that are "general"(solvable with the basic shared abilities of all characters) and "character"(sections you can only access and solve with a characters's special ability). So really, what they did was design a(pretty damn good) adventure game around basic controls(jumping, picking up/dropping items, walking about) and then designed sections for each character's ability. The promise of a Maniac Mansion-style endeavor is never really fulfilled in full.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Rather Dashing said: The game is split into sections that are "general"(solvable with the basic shared abilities of all characters) and "character"(sections you can only access and solve with a characters's special ability). [...] The promise of a Maniac Mansion-style endeavor is never really fulfilled in full.

There was ONE section in the pre-actual-Cave bit that I assumed would be solved differently depending on your team... the part that stood out was a door that I phased through with the Time Traveller also had a console next to it, which I guessed would allow the Scientist to hack it open instead.

Anyway, separate character sections is different to what I was expecting, and perhaps somewhat less awe-inspiring than the complexity of Maniac Mansion, but makes a lot of sense in the context of the story (where The Cave means different things to each character). The replayability factor is very high if the bits of the game you see are largely dependent on the team you choose.

I can't wait to get home this evening and continue. :D

• The Cave. Jumping on that bandwagon.

• @coolsome said: BBP12050AAlg.jpg

Ok what the hell was I thinking!?

• @coolsome said: Ok what the hell was I thinking!?

I can't tell you, but I imagine it had something to do with scarves, afros, and potatoes. Just a guess.

• I don't need to play The Cave: The Video Game. I can draw a board, paint it, and then grab all the figures I bought from Double Fine and play it as a tabletop game.

• Bet you didn't even know this existed:

bruce-lee-quest-of-the-dragon-xbox-game.

Add Comment