User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 15.4K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

378 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Now, I'm not saying this is the only reason I haven't played this game, but when I read on Kotaku that I couldn't play inverted, it kind of knocked this game down a bit on my priority list.

I want to immerse myself in the game with no distractions. I'd rather focus on the game than fiddling with my controller.

• What the fuck are you guys talking about? I don't understand anything.

edit: nvm I got it.

• @RadioactiveMicrobe said: Now, I'm not saying this is the only reason I haven't played this game, but when I read on Kotaku that I couldn't play inverted, it kind of knocked this game down a bit on my priority list.

I want to immerse myself in the game with no distractions. I'd rather focus on the game than fiddling with my controller.

This is exactly the reason it's frustrating. I would rather immerse myself in the game, than in the controller.

• I'm used to invert axis from too many years of playing flight and space sims, which crossed over to first person shooter games. I can deal with it not being included on a game like this because, frankly, the number of times where you're aiming Lee in FPS mode is pretty small. You just have to force your brain to know "when I push the mouse forward, the cursor is going to go up."

-HM

• @RunForItMarty said: Also waiting for this as well. But, us "inverts" are slowly turning into an endangered species ever since CoD, so I don't think they'll be too inclined to fix something that will only satisfy about 100 of us.

CoD most definitely has the option to invert. The only games I have ever played that don't have the option to invert are The Walking Dead and Beyond Good and Evil. Both games are unplayable because of this.
    @RunForItMarty said: I think about 5% of gamers use inverted. Definitely enough to warrant keeping the feature on the table.
    8 Years ago Invert was the only option. Xbox 360's primary customer base age is 18-25. I guarantee you the percentage of "invert" gamers is far higher than 5%

• I confess to not seeing the attraction of this option in The Walking Dead.

Now in flight games I do invert Y because it makes sense, since you are flying. However when you are playing the role of a person I find it very confusing.

• @voteDC said: when you are playing the role of a person I find it very confusing.

Look at it this way. You are controlling someone. You have your hand on their head. You want them to look down... You push forward on their head. You want them to look up... you pull back on their head.

Does that alleviate some of the confusion?

In either case as it pertains to myself anything other than Invert just feels wrong.

• @Kill Kayt said: Look at it this way. You are controlling someone. You have your hand on their head. You want them to look down... You push forward on their head. You want them to look up... you pull back on their head.

Does that alleviate some of the confusion?

In either case as it pertains to myself anything other than Invert just feels wrong.

Thanks for the response but not really. We aren't controlling Lee's head. We are moving a crosshair and a man walking around the screen, in both cases it makes sense, to me, for both to move upwards when I press up.

I didn't mean to imply you were wrong to want the invert option, I was genuinely curious as to why you'd want it in this game.

• @Kill Kayt said: I guarantee you the percentage of "invert" gamers is far higher than 5%

Totally agree. I'd say it's a lot closer to 50/50. It's how people's minds work and has nothing to do with prior gaming experience. Some people find it more natural for inverted, others for not inverted. There is no right or wrong way. As I said previously, inverted feels more natural for me since in real life, to look UP, you tilt your head BACK. To look DOWN, tilt your head forward.

I can't change how my brain automatically orients itself--how my brain makes that connection. It will always be more comfortable and easier for me to control if the y-axis is inverted.

• I read through the 11page thread on the inverted issue, didn't see telltale reply.

Has there been an official statement from the company on this issue? Anything we can do to add it? :confused:

This is unplayable for me and i feel robbed. MS refuses to give me a refund.

I have no interest if you think its weird that i need inverted. So don't start a flame war or argument over it. I've been playing inverted for a decade, and that's how my brain works. End of story.

This discussion has been closed.