User Avatar Image

Can not remap keys by design

posted by Voodz on - last edited - Viewed by 8.1K users

I have just bougth The Walking Dead, and I am unable to change the controls.
When i go into the settings, I have a big xBox control and i cant change anything.

Help please.

85 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Finally, I had to jump through hoops to be able to post here (register, log AND then create a telltale name, find again the post ... great).
    But I believe that's one of the brains who developped the walking dead who developped this web site ...

I perfectly agree that QWERTY is NOT a worldwide standard, and as you sell your games worldwide, I should have a WORKING VERSION IN MY COUNTRY.
    My keyboard is AZERTY, and I am stuck with the WASD... OMG ! I can't even use my other devices as i can't change the keys. It's been ages I saw this default behavior...

THIS IS A BUG, not a design fault. Please correct it ASAP (very easy to fix). I dont want to get a refund, I want to play it as I should.

Thanks for your assistance (hoping to get it before episode 5)
    Cordially,
    testconf

• @testconf said: Finally, I had to jump through hoops to be able to post here (register, log AND then create a telltale name, find again the post ... great).

Welcome to any website or forum on the internet... ever.

This isn't a bug, I don't know why you would even say that lol. I agree that maybe they should have implemented key remapping. I remember back to the night episode 3 was about to release and my q key straight up stopped working (hell it's still broken, but I remapped it to the tab key and just switch it on before I play.)

In the end, if there was an easy fix to this TTG probably would have done it already, why not? It's doubtful that it will be added so that is why you have people here trying to help you remap keys to fit the game to YOUR keyboard. It's not like the arrow keys DON'T work for you guys, Telltale didn't sell you a game in an uplayable state, if you have a weird ass AZERTY then take 5 minutes to install a keyboard remapper (even macs have this) and make the controls whatever your heart desires.

Maybe in season 2 they will have the hindsight to include remappable keys.

• [QUOTE/]
    This isn't a bug, I don't know why you would even say that lol.
    (...)
    if you have a weird ass AZERTY then take 5 minutes to install a keyboard remapper (even macs have this) and make the controls whatever your heart desires.
    [/QUOTE]

FYI, a BUG is any malfunction in a software product that would make it unusable. You can be selfish and consider that if you don't have the problem, you can say "deal with it", but I consider that I paid a software that should work without any workarounds on my system (and no it's not "weird ass" as you respectfully say it, it's just from a country where they sell their product, duh). try using QWSA and come back to me after you die trying to look for the right key ...

As a developer said, it's a child's play to solve this. Wait season 2 to get it fixed ? lol I wont buy season 2 if they dont fix season 1... but thanks for trying ...

• @lucidity02 said:
    I SORT of see the point of these complaints; but once again, a huge deal is being made of something small. If you want to play the game, the remapping software is your best bet. Otherwise, feel free to pursue a refund, which will undoubtedly also require more effort than just installing the software.

Edit: I've played plenty of games, both big-studio and small-studio, that did not include the option to remap my keys. I don't remember which ones they were, though, because I didn't care then and I still don't.

Pls tell me which games could not be remapped because in my 20+ years of gaming I have encountered maybe 3. And I'm pretty sure all of those were in the last century.

Not being able to remap keys is simply lazy. And you can give me the "well just use remapping software" till eternity it still remains irrelevant to the discussion: this should have been covered and I shouldn't have to use third-party software to get the thing working. AZERTY is not some obscure keyboard design only used by cave trolls in the Himalaya, it's the standard for the French-speaking world which happens to be quite large.

In this day and age of globalisation simply forcing a keyboardmapping on people is unforgivable.

• I'd like to bring my support to this thread : this is not normal, every single game I played thus far had these very basic possibilities such as remapping keys.

A lot of countries in Europe use AZERTY, and it is a huge downfall not being able to configurate your game properly to play in optimal conditions.

The customer SHOULD NOT be forced to install a third party software to be able to play a certain game properly.

@Master of Aeons, instead of being aggressive towards the people that pay your salary each month, you should take this problem into consideration and bring it to your superiors. Your behavior is degrading the image I had of TTG for such a small issue that should have been corrected overnight.

Again, when I buy a game I expect it to work properly out of the box, I shouldn't have to be tweaking around to make it work in properly.

What if you bought a car and the reverse gear was in the 1st gear position ? you go back the the shop and the salesman simply tells you "well my friend, it's not a big issue, just take a marker and replace the R by 1".

I just bought the 5 episode package off of steam and to my surprise, such a small issue hasn't been solved yet.

Well, you know what ? I'm not even going to play it, I'm going to ask for a refund and I'm going to explain Steam why.

I'm not giving my money to a company that is so careless of it's customers, and so lazy to implement such a basic setting into their game.

Farewell, you just lost another customer.

• lol. Azerty is just used in france, so well... Life sucks.

• @CS67 said:
    @Master of Aeons, instead of being aggressive towards the people that pay your salary each month, you should take this problem into consideration and bring it to your superiors. Your behavior is degrading the image I had of TTG for such a small issue that should have been corrected overnight.

I'm sorry, I don't work for or represent Telltale in any way. I think it's a shame there isn't the feature you need, but this a problem from last year. It's not going away no matter how long this thread gets. If the company isn't performing in the way you need, make the best of what you've invested in and don't invest again.

You've got a problem that can be fixed with your own power. That can work. What isn't working is this thread.

• @Master of Aeons said: ...this a problem from last year. It's not going away no matter how long this thread gets.

I'm sorry, but really it should make it go away. Games can be patched. A company should listen to its user base and implement these kinds of simple fixes.
    And not leave the discussion at "by design" which is translated by its customers as "Screw these foreign weirdos and disabled gamers"

@Master of Aeons said: If the company isn't performing in the way you need, make the best of what you've invested in and don't invest again.

And maybe they will. That's why it *should* matter to Telltale!

@Master of Aeons said: You've got a problem that can be fixed with your own power. That can work. What isn't working is this thread.

Yes, personally, I will use one of the workarounds that have been posted. But please, do the same, install the required software and invert your settings (map to ZQSD, revert your mouse if you can find software to do it) and try the game. Then you'll see how the game feel for some of us. Now imagine that some people will endure it for the whole game (not knowing that workarounds exist). Maybe it's not terrible enough to abandon the game sure, but it's like having a gravel in your shoes... it's hard to really enjoy a walk with one! By the way, did you know that in France, Telltale sells shoes with gravel glued inside? There's a thread on a forum somewhere that explains how to remove it, so I really can't understand why people complain...

• @BoulaQuick said: Are you f**kink kidding me ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY

Are you realy f**kink kidding me ?

25€ for that dumb f**king XBox Game with 5 f**king minutes of work on the PC version ?

Why did I pre-purcharsed this game ??? Last time in my whole LIFE !!!!!

It's a shame !!! I CAN'T PLAY !!! I DON'T want to install a keybord mapper !!! I WANT MY MONEY BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you guys think he's angry? I think he's a little angry.

• It is just plain stupid that you can't remap the keys. And for the record it NOT only france that uses AZERTY.

Add Comment