User Avatar Image

Better Business Bureau complaint filed regarding game save corruption bugs

posted by phozee on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Some background: a couple months ago I experienced the all-too-common game save corruption bug on my PC version of TWD game about 20 hours into it. My save files are still there, but the game does not recognize them, and no amount of fiddling with timestamps / prefs.prop files / restore points has restored them. I have reached out to TTG support in hopes of a bug fix, including this post (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41801) requesting some sort of game save generation tool for those of us that have been affected by this bug, assuming it couldn't actually be fixed. I received a copy-pasted response on the thread (verified it was copy pasted by searching the forums with the text from his response) that gave no insight into the bug and offered no solution or timeframe for a fix.

Since TTG seems to take no interest in responding seriously to these bugs or fixing them in any way, I too have filed a complaint with the BBB. I suggest anyone who has had these issues, or others that have gone unanswered, file a complaint as well. It took a few minutes, just give some personal information and a couple paragraphs detailing what's up.

https://goldengate.app.bbb.org/complaint/new/277990

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey thanks for starting this thread! I just filed a complaint too and I urge anyone who hasn't done it yet to do so. If you've ever complained about a game or bad business practices by publishers, THIS IS HOW YOU CHANGE IT!

• No it isn't. BBB can't do anything but ask Telltale what's going on. If Telltale gives them the finger, BBB can't do anything about that. They don't have any reach in media or any juridical pull.
    Like I said before, if you really want to change something, try to find a media outlet which is interested enough to do a piece about TTG.

• Kotaku did, but it doesn't look like it'll make a difference. Sadface.

• @JordyLicht said: No it isn't. BBB can't do anything but ask Telltale what's going on. If Telltale gives them the finger, BBB can't do anything about that. They don't have any reach in media or any juridical pull.
    Like I said before, if you really want to change something, try to find a media outlet which is interested enough to do a piece about TTG.

You are constantly defending Telltale Games in everyone's comments. If you had any of the same issues we are all having I don't know that you'd be so defensive.

• I did have the same issues. If you read some of my earlier posts you can see I spent 3 months trying to download the rest of the episodes on my Mac, which kept on getting error after error. Stopping at 99%, not downloading at all, saying it was downloaded but after a restart going back to being NOT downloaded, etc, etc.
    Telltale resolved these issues, created patches, worked on their servers and FOR THE MOST part these problems seem to be gone.

Then the savegame shit started. I was just a pissed off as any person with problems, tried every possible fix mentioned on the support forum. I sucked it up and had to restart the game three times. Now I'm a big fan of the game, so I didn't care so much for replaying episode 1 so many times. Sure, it was annoying, but it's entertaining enough to play through. Maybe with the exception of talking to Katja for the first time; sjees, that took forever...
    Anyway, I started to mess around on my own. Reinstalling, making sure I deleted ANY trace of TWD on my computer, even making sure any trace of Telltale was gone, and just started over. It seemed to work for a while, but then the game didn't recognize the downloaded episode anymore... Ah well, back to that shit again...

Finally my entire HD crashed, I formatted the whole thing and after installing and downloading the game and episodes (for the 5th time), everything magically worked. My girlfriend recently started playing a new game and it looks like it's (still...) working.

So yeah, I did have my issues and I was pissed off and I do agree that Telltale has made some huge mistakes, but mostly on the being quiet front. I think there are a couple of moderators on this message board, like MattP, DjNDB and more who are trying to help anyone with problems.
    If there are people who aren't a fan of Telltale anymore and will never buy another Telltale game again, I can understand that and good luck to you. But thinking that Telltale is not aware of the problem and isn't doing anything to fix it, is just naive.

The things I still don't understand though are:
    - Why hasn't there been a public reaction to the bugs and complaints?;
    - Why can't the inhouse developers at Telltale Games find any bugs in the code?;
    - How come that the exact same systems (eg. macbooks) have a difference in how the game works or runs, or at all?

• @JordyLicht said: I did have the same issues. If you read some of my earlier posts you can see I spent 3 months trying to download the rest of the episodes on my Mac, which kept on getting error after error. Stopping at 99%, not downloading at all, saying it was downloaded but after a restart going back to being NOT downloaded, etc, etc.
    Telltale resolved these issues, created patches, worked on their servers and FOR THE MOST part these problems seem to be gone.

Then the savegame shit started. I was just a pissed off as any person with problems, tried every possible fix mentioned on the support forum. I sucked it up and had to restart the game three times. Now I'm a big fan of the game, so I didn't care so much for replaying episode 1 so many times. Sure, it was annoying, but it's entertaining enough to play through. Maybe with the exception of talking to Katja for the first time; sjees, that took forever...
    Anyway, I started to mess around on my own. Reinstalling, making sure I deleted ANY trace of TWD on my computer, even making sure any trace of Telltale was gone, and just started over. It seemed to work for a while, but then the game didn't recognize the downloaded episode anymore... Ah well, back to that shit again...

Finally my entire HD crashed, I formatted the whole thing and after installing and downloading the game and episodes (for the 5th time), everything magically worked. My girlfriend recently started playing a new game and it looks like it's (still...) working.

So yeah, I did have my issues and I was pissed off and I do agree that Telltale has made some huge mistakes, but mostly on the being quiet front. I think there are a couple of moderators on this message board, like MattP, DjNDB and more who are trying to help anyone with problems.
    If there are people who aren't a fan of Telltale anymore and will never buy another Telltale game again, I can understand that and good luck to you. But thinking that Telltale is not aware of the problem and isn't doing anything to fix it, is just naive.

The things I still don't understand though are:
    - Why hasn't there been a public reaction to the bugs and complaints?;
    - Why can't the inhouse developers at Telltale Games find any bugs in the code?;
    - How come that the exact same systems (eg. macbooks) have a difference in how the game works or runs, or at all?

I appreciate your detailed reply and apologize for my comment. My brother purchased this game for me because he felt that it would be easy enough for me to play, I have VERY limited use of my right hand after an accident at work and this was one of the few games that I can thoroughly enjoy playing. After playing Episode 1 for the 4th time after reinstalling, disabling the Steam Cloud saves, and deleting all traces, I am sick of it. I want a functioning game. Even if the issue is fixed I will never purchase another game made by this company and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Please, Telltale Games, fix this issue. I may not purchase another game from you, however, word of mouth is quite powerful, so it is in your best interest to support your consumer.

• Well, having read the story about your limited use of your right hand, I feel like a dickhead...
    I completely understand your frustration. Trust me, if I would be in your situation and still hadn't been able to play the game, I'd be trying everything to get a refund.
    I tried contacting local consumer protection agencies, but they all said the same thing, that I have to contact Telltale Games and figure it out with them. People living outside the US probably have even less of a chance to do something about this.

• @JordyLicht said: Well, having read the story about your limited use of your right hand, I feel like a dickhead...
    I completely understand your frustration. Trust me, if I would be in your situation and still hadn't been able to play the game, I'd be trying everything to get a refund.
    I tried contacting local consumer protection agencies, but they all said the same thing, that I have to contact Telltale Games and figure it out with them. People living outside the US probably have even less of a chance to do something about this.

You're not a dickhead at all, man! We're all very frustrated with this. After I wrote my last comment to you I decided to send "MattP" a PM just so that I felt like I did everything I could. Well, I came on to see if he replied, no answer, however, he DID reply to a new post that was written regarding the saved game issue asking for specific details! I think we're making progress toward a possible fix!! Cross your fingers!

• @oldyellerdeservedit said: You're not a dickhead at all, man! We're all very frustrated with this. After I wrote my last comment to you I decided to send "MattP" a PM just so that I felt like I did everything I could. Well, I came on to see if he replied, no answer, however, he DID reply to a new post that was written regarding the saved game issue asking for specific details! I think we're making progress toward a possible fix!! Cross your fingers!

Could you link to the post you're talking about?

• Yes, sir!

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43928

He did reply to my PM as well asking me to elaborate, which I did. I'm feeling confident that they are at least aware of the issue. Hopefully they are working on it.

Add Comment