User Avatar Image

TT's King's Quest: R.I.P. (aka Really Improbable Project)

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 5.8K users

I've heard that they have problems with the Activision's rights. Any TT official news or reference about the game (aside this forum thread) was deleted. They had a placeholder website similar to the Fable one, and it's not available anymore.
The last statement about it was "The genre doesn't need us anymore".
No official comments on the forum aside Mods, the last one being one year old.

So.....
Telltale's King's Quest R.I.P.?
:(

279 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Interesting timeline and info, thanks.

So, my general feeling is that KQ was put on the back burner in favor of TWD. But, fast forward through TWD's resounding success, the increased Telltale fanbase, and higher anticipation for Fables as a result of the previous two items, combined with hype for TWD Season 2, and you simply may have a decision that boils down to priorities.

I think TWD's success might have surprised even Telltale. Two years ago KQ was something Telltale would have wanted to appeal to more adventure game fans and build up their repertoire. At that time they were coming off ToMI, Sam & Max, and just releasing BttF. Two years later the success of TWD has done far more for the company than they would have expected of KQ.

Quite frankly, Telltale doesn't need to do KQ anymore. Whether they want to would be a different scenario.

I could be way off base. Just guessing and thinking out loud. :)

• It was put on the back burner for both TWD and Fables. We don't know if Fables will be put on the back burner for TWD season 2 or not! ...or if they wait and spread TWD out as a much farther into the future.

However, we do know they are expanding their company so they can make more games, at the same time.. They want to make more games, not just one to two games a year. They want to make a wider selection each year.

Earlier this year, they mentioned they would like to get into major franchises like Star Wars, Halo, or Half-life. No they haven't gotten licenses for those, they are just 'ideas'.

They mention they would like to move ties back to Lucasarts and Lucasfilms properties if possible. They'll have to deal with Disney to do that!

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/04/the-walking-dead-developer-wants-to-work-on-star-wars-or-half-life-next/

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/44425/telltale-would-like-to-take-a-stab-at-star-wars-half-life-or-halo

http://spong.com/article/28684/Telltale-Keen-on-Taking-on-Star-Wars-Half-Life-Halo-Franchises

• @MtnPeak said: What a bad attitude. You are not king of the forum.

I'm not? Well, when did this change. I was voted Emporer of the Internet in 1997 by Netscape, Inc. That's almost 16 years of my internet fiefdom, son.

Baggins did a helpful thing in getting information all in one place for people who might be interested to know the history of the project, such that it has been shared with us. To say, "just let people Google on their own" shows you don't care much about helping keep KQ fans in-the-know. Information summaries save people time. Not everyone follows these forums on a daily basis (or wants to sift through some people's' self-indulgent, jokey comments while searching for worthwhile info) or wants to jump around to different sites trying to piece together what has been happening with TTG's KQ.

So, let me say a big thank you to Baggins for his/her time and effort!!

Baggins does that kind of stuff all the time; as he said, he likes to research and catalog stuff. But he doesn't have to do it for you lazy, half-assed homeboys who can't be arsed to find out more about your beloved King's Quest than half heartedly walking onto a forum, like a petulant child, and demand your information. I bet you don't know what a library even is or how to use the Dewey Decimal System!

You make me want to vomit.

Now, I have to go - it's time for my OsCal.

Bt

• If you pulled the stick out, you'd realize that it's not laziness to prefer not to have to spend time (that could be spent doing other things) sifting through forum posts littered with arguments about whether MoE is KQ8 while looking for news updates which could potentially even be off-topic for the associated thread(s); digging through various game news websites trying to find relevant mentions of Telltale's King's Quest; and paging through each and every Telltale Blog post trying to find something.

It's a credit to Baggins for compiling the info, not laziness that not everyone else in the world wants to have to do it.

• Bt, I apologize for my comment. I got kind of carried away. Still, I definitely disagree with you about the value of summarizing and organizing information in order to help other adventure game fans and people interested in KQ. Ever use Wikipedia? Is that a site for people who are too lazy to do their own exhaustive research of primary sources. Chyron has it exactly right here, as far as I'm concerned. Baggins did a great job on that summary. I am happy that someone with his KQ knowledge, his attention to detail and his ability to clearly and succinctly summarize lots of info is part of the KQ fan community and is willing to contribute with posts like that. Reading it I learned some things I didn't know before.

• To be fair, the stuff is pretty darn scattered apart... It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, or looking for sheets of paper that blew to the four corners of the earth... If you don't have a general clue where to look for them to begin with it can be a bit daunting!

I had to essentially sift through 15-20 (and there was alot more than that) pages of 'google results' each (for 2-4 different search phrases), and most of these ended up being references to The Silver Lining (because that garnered most of the KQ news in recent years), the occasional article about AGDI, maybe one or two for Infamous Adventures, repeated & redundant information linking to other articles with better information (but I had already had links to), and stuff associated with the old games... So I had look past the 'snow', and find relevent references to "telltale' only.

In the process I came across news while not so much relevent to Telltale, but that I had never had come across before. But even those slowed me down from finding actual 'relevent' or even indirectly-relevent information. So no it was not easy, and I don't expect the average person to have the patience or the 'luck' to find what I found.

I can't say that I found 'everything' related either. No way I was going to check every 'result'. I have my real life research and papers to do, and those must be a priority! But I do have to say, the KQ research, was a nice break from the academic research I'm doing right now.

• I don't know why, but this thread instantly makes my mind think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fMlg5WTMM

• Heh, guys - it's cool. I was just purposefully acting like a crochety-old-man. Hence the "OsCal" for my brittle bones joke. I'm just an old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Bt - there is no humor in this blackened land of dashed dreams and cynicism. Hold your tongue lest you make someone laugh and face the fact that there is nothing of substance in this entire forum beyond expectations, bitterness, naivety, and youthful dreams of nostalgia.

Your humor is not welcome among the deluded souls who wander these barrens.

This discussion has been closed.