User Avatar Image

What kind of character could top Lee?

posted by JulianAR on - last edited - Viewed by 784 users

I dunno if this is the right place to ask about it, considering I'm brand new here, but has anyone written fanfiction for season 2 yet? I figure someone has to, here of all places at the very least. I'm thinking about doing one myself, to see if I can't answer the question everyone wants answered: What kind of character could top Lee?

I've already got a few ideas myself, and after looking around the threads a bit, it seems there are some fairly smart people thinking the same thing as me. But I'd like to actually know what people think would be able to beat Lee's character, and I'd especially like to read some fanfictions if there are any.

I, personally, think that the new main protagonist should be a young man. Young like Molly, maybe even a bit younger. That way we can establish an older brother-like character to be Clementine's new protector that people can be comfortable with and that won't replace Lee as a father figure (which is the worst possible idea).
I'm going to write a character like that, except instead of trying to emulate an instant attachment to Clem like Lee did, I want to try and write Lee's polar opposite. Colder and more withdrawn, effected by the world on a deeply emotional level (and maybe a slightly psychotic one, too :P). That way Clementine's role as a morality pet will shine even brighter and have more influence to her as a character and to her bond with the new protagonist, making the new protagonist easily more likable as he slowly grows more attached to Clem, gradually shifting his personality in the process thanks to her.
That's the kind of approach Telltale needs to take with a new protagonist. A much more different way to warm up to someone new after that devastating loss at the end of the last season. At least, that's what I'd like to see.

TL;DR, Telltale should make a bad-ass big brother protagonist for season 2. And NOT kill him. Avoiding repetition as much as possible is best.

Also, I'm not one to shamelessly plug myself, but like I said, whether Telltale already has a plan or not, I'm gonna write me a fanfic for season 2. Not that I'm asking if anyone is interested, but if anyone is...

And I shall leave it at that. :)

Anyways, tell me your thoughts!

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You know what would really be an interesting setting? An Amish community.

• @JulianAR said: I dunno if this is the right place to ask about it, considering I'm brand new here, but has anyone written fanfiction for season 2 yet? I figure someone has to, here of all places at the very least. I'm thinking about doing one myself, to see if I can't answer the question everyone wants answered: What kind of character could top Lee?

I've already got a few ideas myself, and after looking around the threads a bit, it seems there are some fairly smart people thinking the same thing as me. But I'd like to actually know what people think would be able to beat Lee's character, and I'd especially like to read some fanfictions if there are any.

I, personally, think that the new main protagonist should be a young man. Young like Molly, maybe even a bit younger. That way we can establish an older brother-like character to be Clementine's new protector that people can be comfortable with and that won't replace Lee as a father figure (which is the worst possible idea).
    I'm going to write a character like that, except instead of trying to emulate an instant attachment to Clem like Lee did, I want to try and write Lee's polar opposite. Colder and more withdrawn, effected by the world on a deeply emotional level (and maybe a slightly psychotic one, too :P). That way Clementine's role as a morality pet will shine even brighter and have more influence to her as a character and to her bond with the new protagonist, making the new protagonist easily more likable as he slowly grows more attached to Clem, gradually shifting his personality in the process thanks to her.
    That's the kind of approach Telltale needs to take with a new protagonist. A much more different way to warm up to someone new after that devastating loss at the end of the last season. At least, that's what I'd like to see.

TL;DR, Telltale should make a bad-ass big brother protagonist for season 2. And NOT kill him. Avoiding repetition as much as possible is best.

Also, I'm not one to shamelessly plug myself, but like I said, whether Telltale already has a plan or not, I'm gonna write me a fanfic for season 2. Not that I'm asking if anyone is interested, but if anyone is...

And I shall leave it at that. :)

Anyways, tell me your thoughts!

I am really excited by the thought of a fan-fic of season 2,especially if you use a main character like you have talked about.I like the idea of the character and I am excited to read your fan-fic. (if you make it,which I hope you do)If you do make it,you could make it in chapters sort of like the episodes in the game.Okay,anyway that is a great idea and I might make a fan-fic in my own time aswell,great idea again!

• What made Lee so appealing as a character was the variance he had. He wasn't a preset character beyond his past and his desire to protect Clementine. Everything else was pretty much the player. Is Lee an ass? Is he a saint who made a horrible mistake in a moment of lost control? Is he a coward? Does he favor the settlement mentality? A nomadic lifestyle? The answer to all of those questions is "yes, if you want it to be so". That's why Lee was so loved by the player base.

The character you propose, while absolutely acceptable as an option, should not be too detailed. A colder, more emotionally distant person is not the opposite of Lee. Depending on the player, that could be a carbon copy. What if I want to play another naive good guy type? Someone who tries to help everyone he/she can even if said person just did something horrible. A hard-coded colder character wouldn't make sense sparing the life of the St. Johns, but stuff like that should always be an option.

To answer your question; I want another malleable character. I don't care how old they are. I don't care what gender they are. I don't care what past they have. I just want the ability to shape their personality.

As far as their role in the story, I believe we need a different one for season 2's protagonist. The goal shouldn't be about protecting Clementine. Don't get me wrong; Clem is an amazing character and I hope she returns to the spotlight. I just don't want the story to be about keeping her safe. She should be more independent in season 2; able to make her own choices, suggestions and arguments that the player is free to follow or ignore. She should be responsible for her own safety, though a helping hand every now and then is acceptable.

What could the protagonist's role be? I have no clue... I'm no storyteller.

• I trust that Telltale will make a charater that we will get equally emotionally tied up with

They're quite good at that

Still a Female protagonnist would be a change...

• Colonel John Matrix from the best father-daughter story of all time:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088944/

• A young charecter who can form a siblingesk relationship would be nice.

• @Demopan said: I'd bet dollars to donuts its going to be clementine. Maybe still as a little girl, maybe a teenager, maybe and adult. But it makes the most sense, with the epilogue at the end of episode 5.

It ain’t going to happen. I could see Telltale being down with an older, smarter Clementine, but all sorts of continuity problems crop up. Remember, this series is based on the comic book series, which is ongoing. In the grand scheme of things, not that much time has passed in the comic book, so fast forwarding the universe means the game would be way out in front and Kirkman would need to worry about writing himself into corners annoying fans would attack him for.

(Source: IGN)

• If it's Kenny, i would SO love that.

Kenny would have a reason to live, taking care of a little girl, and Kenny is a tough, heroic guy, he was also a father, he'd never let anything happen to Clem.

Add Comment