User Avatar Image

Should we have told Clementine about her parents?

posted by JudeDismas on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

While I was playing I, like many it seems, avoided telling Clementine that her parents were probably dead. Now I know telling her doesn't really effect anything in the plot, but if this were happening in real life, do you think it would be better to tell her the truth?

I mean, on one hand, we don't know for sure that her parents are dead, and the possibility that they may be alive seems to give her some hope.

On the other hand, she does several dangerous things trying to find her parents, and it seems wrong to lie to her about something so important.

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JudeDismas said: While I was playing I, like many it seems, avoided telling Clementine that her parents were probably dead. Now I know telling her doesn't really effect anything in the plot, but if this were happening in real life, do you think it would be better to tell her the truth?

I mean, on one hand, we don't know for sure that her parents are dead, and the possibility that they may be alive seems to give her some hope.

On the other hand, she does several dangerous things trying to find her parents, and it seems wrong to lie to her about something so important.

I would tell her about the message on the answering machine and let her interpret that in her own way.

• @Riadon said: I would tell her about the message on the answering machine and let her interpret that in her own way.

^ This. It was a shame we were never able to tell her about the messages.

• I tried not to give Clem false hopes. I basically always silent in conversations about her parents, I wanted that Clementine understand it by her ownself, but I never told her that they are dead and it's time to forget about them because it's a brutally. Have you noticed that the Clementine took the death of parents easier than death....well, you know who I'm talking about?

• She had accepted her parents death, but the Stranger gave her false hope

• User Avatar Image
    Koi

Out of curiosity, what does she say if you do tell her they're dead? I mean, the way I see it, it seems like the only reason the stranger was able to get a hold of her was because she thought her parents were alive, and when the stranger said that he had them, she believed him more easily. But if Lee already told her that they were dead, how would that have played out?

• @zev_zev said: I tried not to give Clem false hopes. I basically always silent in conversations about her parents, I wanted that Clementine understand it by her ownself, but I never told her that they are dead and it's time to forget about them because it's a brutally. Have you noticed that the Clementine took the death of parents easier than death....well, you know who I'm talking about?

I don't know, on some level she knew they were probably dead but on another she refused to completely accept it. If you tell her point blank you can't look for her parents because they're dead she insists they're not and starts crying. She's also still asking about them when you get back from Crawford if you didn't take her with you.

Dealing with the loss of a family member is incredibly difficult for most adults, I don't think Clementine truly believed her parents were dead until she finally saw them in person. One of the first things she says after Lee's wakes up is "They're dead for sure." If she had already accepted their death I don't think she would have said that.

• @Koi said: Out of curiosity, what does she say if you do tell her they're dead? I mean, the way I see it, it seems like the only reason the stranger was able to get a hold of her was because she thought her parents were alive, and when the stranger said that he had them, she believed him more easily. But if Lee already told her that they were dead, how would that have played out?

"They're not dead!"

"Do you... want them to be?"

*cries*

At least that's how I remember it.

• @Riadon said: "They're not dead!"

"Do you... want them to be?"

*cries*

At least that's how I remember it.

After this replica:
    Lee: You think we have a good plan?
    Clementine: I think it's very good... Can I tell my parents...you know...
    Lee: ... *silence * (it's my variant)
    Clementine: They like it, promise.

Now I understand with whom she wanted to talk.

• @zev_zev said: After this replica:
    Lee: You think we have a good plan?
    Clementine: I think it's very good... Can I tell my parents...you know...
    Lee: ... *silence * (it's my variant)
    Clementine: They like it, promise.

Now I understand with whom she wanted to talk.

I don't understand what she wanted to tell them that she can shoot about how he murdered idk

• @chiefzackery said: I don't understand what she wanted to tell them that she can shoot about how he murdered idk

Me neither, I personally thought that she wanted to let them know how Lee had taken care of her.

They should have given it a bit more context.

Add Comment