User Avatar Image

Killing off **** was a bad idea

posted by Jeenyus on - last edited - Viewed by 539 users

Don't get me wrong, it makes for a great story and all that, but game wise it doesn't make sense. Most games you get a character and thats your role. Now its pretty much like just make me play a bunch of characters because it really doesn't matter anymore. It just sets up season two for failure, assuming they continue with the story from season 1. Which I'm pretty sure is what's gonna happen (not saying it won't be good, just not as good).

Personally for me, I see it as was Lee was me (my character in this story) now that he's dead essentially my role in this story is over. No matter how I see season 2 going, I don't think I'll have the same attachment to the game. Unless they just make a completely new story with all new characters. Which would still suck, for me at least (I'd like to know what happens to Clem at the end)

Wether I'm a new character, who ends up being Clementines new guardian, I'd want to play it like I was lee (whom I'm not). If I take the role of Clementine then it would just feel weird. Regardless of the role, sans, lee just ruins it. Personally, I feel it would have been a smarter Idea to kill Clementine. Glad they didn't. But it makes more sense game wise.

Your thoughts.. ?

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jeenyus said: Don't get me wrong, it makes for a great story and all that, but game wise it doesn't make sense. Most games you get a character and thats your role. Now its pretty much like just make me play a bunch of characters because it really doesn't matter anymore. It just sets up season two for failure, assuming they continue with the story from season 1. Which I'm pretty sure is what's gonna happen (not saying it won't be good, just not as good).

Personally for me, I see it as was Lee was me (my character in this story) now that he's dead essentially my role in this story is over. No matter how I see season 2 going, I don't think I'll have the same attachment to the game. Unless they just make a completely new story with all new characters. Which would still suck, for me at least (I'd like to know what happens to Clem at the end)

Wether I'm a new character, who ends up being Clementines new guardian, I'd want to play it like I was lee (whom I'm not). If I take the role of Clementine then it would just feel weird. Regardless of the role, sans, lee just ruins it. Personally, I feel it would have been a smarter Idea to kill Clementine. Glad they didn't. But it makes more sense game wise.

Your thoughts.. ?

Their are a few games, where you play another character in every part of it, so that is not a real question for me. I would still not be unhappy, if we would never hear of Clem again and just keep it at that, to be honest.

When you were this attached to Lee and you are not able to play ever another Charakter in a Walking Dead (from Telltale of course) game again, you should maybe don't buy season two, since yes, it could happen again.

• @Jeenyus said: Don't get me wrong, it makes for a great story and all that, but game wise it doesn't make sense. Most games you get a character and thats your role. Now its pretty much like just make me play a bunch of characters because it really doesn't matter anymore. It just sets up season two for failure, assuming they continue with the story from season 1. Which I'm pretty sure is what's gonna happen (not saying it won't be good, just not as good).

Your thoughts.. ?

It was a great idea to kill him in the end, im gonna miss him like hell but it made for the best story.

• They had to do it so I could cry and become depressed for a month.
    :cool:

• I agree. It would have been a good idea only IF they were not going to have a season 2. I will never be as attached to those characters than the season 1 characters. I think it makes a compelling story, but they should have done it at the end of season 2 if they wanted to continue the story.

• Yeah, i think same, that was really bad idea. I was very attached to him, and i don't think, i will like any Season 2 character like him... Anyway, this is hard for me...

• Why do people keep saying they couldn't possibly get as attached to new characters as they were to the ones in the first season when you've only known the characters from the first season for just one game?

I mean, Lee was character created just for this game. He hadn't appeared anywhere else is any of series or part of The Walking Dead. He was a new character, Telltale crafted a great story that made you care about him and now his story is finished.

What makes you think they won't be able to do it again with new characters?

• Because I am already attached to Lee, I don't want to have to meet an entirely new set of characters. No one gives a fuck about new characters when they first come out. Sure, I would eventually warm up to them, but because Lee was the first I played as, he will always be my favorite. Besides, it is like other games. Civ 4 was better than Civ 3, but I will always like Civ 3 better because it was the first I play. Anyway I doubt Telltale will be able to live up to a character like Lee. That is your answer.

• I agree, Telltale could've done something better

• I would have preferred to see Lee make it through season one, but I always considered it a strong possibility that he would not, seeing as no character is held sacred in the world of the Walking Dead. I understand people's attachment to the character, but I fully believe Telltale's writers are capable of creating another character that is just as likable for season two (though only time will truly tell).

My biggest problem with Lee's death was not that he died at the end of episode 5, but rather that he was effectively dead at the end of episode 4. The suddenness of Lee's bite coupled with a month long cliffhanger resulted in me uninvesting in the character almost completely by the time episode 5 showed up. Thus Lee's demise and the finale were all somewhat underwhelming in my eyes; eyes that were as dry a Churchill martini.

• You're kidding about killing Clementine off right? The entire game was basically ABOUT protecting Clementine.. And I think they made the right move with killing Lee because I think that giving his life to protect Clem "redeems" him from that murder he committed prior to the zombie apocalypse. It's like Kenny. He felt like he wasn't the dad that he could have been to Duck or the husband he couldn't be to Katjaa, so he felt like he needed to sacrifice his life so that Ben didn't have to suffer. If you think about it and really go in depth with it, you would know that Lee's death was one of the most brilliant moves that TellTale did in this game. I know it sucks that Lee died and I used to be in denial too, but I learned to accept the fact that he will most likely not be coming back.

Add Comment