User Avatar Image

Can we have an Android port please?

posted by Tind on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

Dear Teltale!
I have been thinking about buying Walking Dead, but I always hesitate, because I can't really see myself as playing with a "simple" (not literally what I mean!) game compared to Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3 on PC, but when I saw that there will be an iOS port with new touch interface, my heart started pounding!

Only problem is, that I own an Android device, a Sony Ericson Neo V phone with 1 core 1Ghz CPU and Adreno 205 GPU. Dead Trigger with Tegra 3 graphics (water effects+ragdoll effects+advanced lighting) runs fine on this device.

This is how it looks:

0bvhncrgwq9o8k51au9z_tn.png ph1w8tliqt4mbp7b01cy_tn.png
kxjcjsg75i99qf9wg1mq.png_tn.png
aloqymaslrlt7lgkori7_tn.png kxjcjsg75i99qf9wg1mq_tn.png
(Please note that the minor graphical bugs you see are not present during gameplay, the program used to make the screenshot is responsible for those bugs)

I assume if Dead Trigger can run with advanced graphics like that on a 1 core ARMv7 CPU+Adreno 205 GPU, then Walking Dead could run with minor or no lag at all.

So could you please port it for Android too? Like I said, I hesitated about the purchase of the PC version, but I would pick up all episodes on Google Play, that is 100%.

Please don't let down your fans by making this an Apple exclusive title. That would not just hurt your fans, but also would not be good on financial side. Apple is great, iPhone/iPad are neat devices, however in almost all major countries (including the United States and most European countries) iOS sales are nowhere near Android sales.

Just in the US 51% of smartphone users are Android users and iOS is "only" 32%.

So please make the Walking Dead episodes for Android too :)

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I want a WII U Port! no srsly i really do

• You're right, Telltale shouldn't have stopped with iOS. There's plenty of untapped markets out there and Telltale should definitely branch out even further..

The Walking Dead for Virtual Boy!

Don't let down your virtual boy fans down! Porting the game to virtual boy should be a no brainer, it was released over 15 years ago!

• so basically, theyre

A) too lazy to make an available on both platforms
    B) sucking on IOS teat or
    C) paid to keep it as an exclusive

either way i call bullshit on the gameboy/every-other-gaming-system-out-there false equivalency. ios is to android what ps3 is to the 360. yes there are more specs to take in mind when putting it on android, but plenty of other companies have done it succesfully. if telltale cant do it, they should hire someone who can

• Hey Guys,

I want The Walking Dead, Sam & Max and all that good stuff on Android as much as you do. I love TTG and want to have their collective children.

I run a video games developer and would volunteer to do the port to Android myself!

So, how about it Telltale? Please pester them so they will take me on to do the job, it'll be great!

Cheers,

Neil Millstone
    White Bat Games
    http://www.whitebat.co.uk

• Android and Wii U would seem like a good idea...

• When will walking dead for android be released?
    Thanks

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Telltale does not develop games for Android at this time.
    While April was 9 months ago, that's when Telltale's crofael posted what I believe to be the most recent (and closest to official) information on the subject:

@crofael said: We currently have no plans to do releases on Android. The main reason has to do with hardware. iOS devices all have a similar profile: there's an easily identifiable minimum amount of memory, CPU and GPU power that we can target from an engine standpoint.

Now think about Android. How many different Android devices from how many different manufacturers are available? In the hundreds. And for the most part, they are all extremely disparate in their hardware specifications. Between this device fragmentation and the fact that most Android devices on the market are not all that great for gaming, we'd rather focus on making our engine better on the platforms we already do support.

All that being said, I'm a programmer and so I'm not up to speed on what our sales and marketing plans are for the future, so it's entirely possible that at some point we'll start putting our games on Android. But in the meantime I'm afraid it's not in the cards.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :/

Additionally, allow me to merge your thread with a more comprehensive discussion on the subject.

• but its probably because of what apple pays them as a developer.

its the same issue with epic games and infinity blade...there are plenty of android phones that can run that game just as good as the 4s and i5 can...but nope. forget it.

the excuse of 'well we'll get bad reviews because folks who have crap devices cant play it but will download and pay for it anyway' is bogus. you code your application properly, and it wont even show up in the playstore. you go to the playstore on the web and it will even tell you its not compatible.

let them be snobby about it even: make it only available for nexus devices. or certain gpu's. alot of top of the line android phones use similar SoC's so even that approach would still allow for millions of folks to enjoy the game!

c'mon telltale. you can TOTALLY do this.

money in hand.

• Plizzz port game for android!!!!

• Hi guys!

Difficult to talk about scalability in android complete garbage, you could easily just do not let the PC with the same excuse. Make the minimum requirements, that's all. Tell it to Rockstar, I think they'll smile.

And yes, I'm ready now to pay for all of 5 or more episodes for android? Give those of us please

ps: Thank you for your creativity.
    pps: Thanks for the Monkey Island separately

Add Comment