User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 27.4K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Final Fantasy IV (PSP)

This is a very nice remake with all the spritework and music redone.
    But even then it feels a bit generic.
    (I think I can't help but see that though since I messed around with RPG maker and studied those kind of Art styles, so I can see the templates behind the sprites)

Still the story is pretty nice so far.
    (Though FFVI had the best story in my opinion)

I may actually complete this one.
    (FF I was getting pretty dry for me)

• @Syd said: If the humor/atmosphere doesn't click with you, you might not end up liking it a whole lot. There's some issues, particularly with the tediousness of moving the characters around in certain areas (the minecart section is easily the most tedious and repetitive section of the game, and you have to go through it every single playthrough). Others have complained about the controls, though I haven't had much of an issue with them myself (I've mostly been playing it with keyboard controls). Also, the main characters area all silent. The only characters that talk are the NPCs and the cave itself. It didn't bother me, but I can see how others could see a missed opportunity considering the game's development was lead by Ron Gilbert.

I think some of the reviews were too harsh, but I also don't think it was a masterpiece. It's a hit-and-miss game. Some will love it, some won't. I loved the game's sense of humor, but I also acknowledge the gameplay issues, so I'd probably give it a 7.5/10. More rally/catch-up points, particularly in the minecart section, probably would have bumped it up to an 8/10.

Thanks for the in depth review.
    Like I said, I'm a fan of Gilbert's work, so I'll probably end up buying it anyway. I didn't know Psychonauts and it ended up as one of my favorite games ever.
    I'll just wait for my wages and buy it. Now to explain to my girlfriend why the Valentine's Day dinner will be less spectacular this year :)

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@JordyLicht said: Thanks for the in depth review.
    Like I said, I'm a fan of Gilbert's work, so I'll probably end up buying it anyway. I didn't know Psychonauts and it ended up as one of my favorite games ever.
    I'll just wait for my wages and buy it. Now to explain to my girlfriend why the Valentine's Day dinner will be less spectacular this year :)

To add a bit of new information, there's a patch coming soon that promises to tighten up the controls and improve responsiveness, so if it delivers what Double Fine is promising, then that fixes the control issues.

You'll probably like it since you're a fan of Ron. The Cave is absolutely oozing with his dark sense of humor (which I love, and though I tried to be objective in my little review, I personally found the game's humor to make up for its shortcomings. I've already beaten it 3 times myself, and I've started a 4th playthrough).

• @Syd said: You'll probably like it since you're a fan of Ron. The Cave is absolutely oozing with his dark sense of humor (which I love, and though I tried to be objective in my little review, I personally found the game's humor to make up for its shortcomings. I've already beaten it 3 times myself, and I've started a 4th playthrough).

You've been pretty fast then. I've also beaten it 3 times, but I've spent more than 5 hours more than you on it. I've been idling a lot, but I don't think that accounts for more than a couple of hours.

• Ghostbusters: The Video game on PC and WII (they are different)

I actually love those games, very good voice acting by the original actors of the movies, great gameplay, very good story and even better ghost hunting, good lord I wish there were more games like this!

• @Burnwurscht said: Ghostbusters: The Video game on PC and WII (they are different)

I actually love those games, very good voice acting by the original actors of the movies, great gameplay, very good story and even better ghost hunting, good lord I wish there were more games like this!

I much prefer the PS3/360/PC version over the Wii version. Not JUST because of the graphics, but mostly because I don't like the controls, and that's sad because I'm usually a big fan of the controls on the Wii.

• Made the terrible mistake of re-installing Civ IV. I have lost more hours of sleep than is right the last few nights.

"Just one more turn!"

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed on the PC.

I know, I know, Sonic in a car, but it's fun.

Besides, I never even pick Sonic, or any of the other Sonic characters for that matter. I almost always race as Beat or Vyse.

• So I'm playing Final Fantasy IV some more.
    I'm at the point where Cecil has decided to go all white knight on this Shizz.
    Story-wise the game is gaining momentum, yet at the same time it's still kinda flakey.
    Most likely it will continue to improve, but at the moment the game kinda of awkwardly and hastily shuffles the party around in an attempt to establish character foundations.

However, apart from maybe Cecil, Kain, Rosa and our Spoony Bard, the other characters haven't really been fleshed out that much at all.
    And barring Cecil, the others I just mentioned have only just barely really been characterised.

The battle system is just meh.
    Nothing special about it, and not really all that challenging. To some extent I found FFI more interesting because you could actually MAKE your team and customise it.
    Hopefully later on it might improve, but it's certainly a weak point.

• Just downloading the last 3 eps of The Walking Dead so I'll be back to playing that soon.

I don't have internet at mine so when I was at my g-mas I downloaded the first ep, loved it, bought the last 4 together for 25% off, had to uninstall it and re-install it to get it to recognise that I bought them and then after ep 2 downloaded, my iPad battery died >8( brought my charger with me this time.

Also playing GTA: Vice City on iOS. Completed the main missions which is something I could NEVER do on the PS2! Now stuck on a few minor missions. Love this game so much though.

I wish True Crime: Streets of LA was popular enough for an iOS port.

Add Comment