User Avatar Image

Under the Half Dome: Orchestrated Versions by Ken Allen of His Sierra Game Music

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 353 users

For those who don't know, Ken Allen, composer of many early Sierra games such as Colonel's Bequest, King's Quest I, King's Quest V, Space Quest IV, Space Quest I VGA, and also some games outside of Sierra like Descent has started a KickStarter project called Under the Half Dome for a music album based on, inspired by, and re-imagining his old works.

The project has already hit its goal in under 48 hours and there will be an announcement soon of some interesting stretch goals. Backer rewards include the album in physical and digital format, access to backer-exclusive blog of the production of the album, t-shirt, blow-up poster of the album artwork (made by ex-Sierra artist Rich Powell), and even big things like a MIDI keyboard controller (same one Ken is using to record the album), a chance for you the backer to perform on one of the tracks on the album, write some liner notes, as well as Ken composing a song specifically for you of your direction in the higher tiers. And more!

Fund him!

Kickstarter Project Page

http://kenspace.com
Facebook Page
Google+ Group
Twitter

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ahem.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=766242&postcount=399

Also, he wasn't going to be doing straight rerecordings of his Sierra work because he said he approached ActiVision and they said that "they had their own plans" and he was going to do work inspired by it. However, he's discovered a means where he CAN use his original works. So that's exciting!

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Your post was in some general chat i have never heard of. I don't venture out of Kings Quest. I was saying I'm surprised no one had mentioned it here... in the only place where people matter, since it is the only place I visit.

• Well, it's only because things that have nothing to do with King's Quest (even if they do have to do with Sierra) keep getting moved to General Forum anyway. I posted in the Kickstarter thread itself.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Well that makes no sense. I think only about 5% of my posts here have actually been about KQ. The rest are just me being retarded, yet they don't get moved. maybe it is a "containment" method. The mods don't want my ramblings escaping this dead forum.

• @MusicallyInspired said:
    Also, he wasn't going to be doing straight rerecordings of his Sierra work because he said he approached ActiVision and they said that "they had their own plans" and he was going to do work inspired by it. However, he's discovered a means where he CAN use his original works. So that's exciting!

How did Ken Allen end up being able to use his own work? I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere on here. For years I have wanted a collection of Sierra music live recordings.

The Colonel's Bequest is one of my favorite games ever! I used to record the music from my computer speakers and listen to it later. This Ken Allen project is like a dream come true.

• @MtnPeak said: How did Ken Allen end up being able to use his own work? I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere on here. For years I have wanted a collection of Sierra music live recordings.

The Colonel's Bequest is one of my favorite games ever! I used to record the music from my computer speakers and listen to it later. This Ken Allen project is like a dream come true.

Here's Ken's Kickstarter update on the matter:

The Compulsory Mechanical License

I'm not a lawyer, but thanks to those of you who commented on my previous update, I have been alerted to this part of the copyright law.

Through the magic of the Compulsory Mechanical License, it appears I can pay a licensing fee to the copyright holder through a 3rd party and distribute a limited number of recordings featuring new arrangements of my Space Quest and King's Quest compositions.

The service I'm using is Easy Song Licensing. And they have helped other game composers in my situation get a license to make a new album based on their game compositions.

In addition, it turns out that at least one of the guys at Easy Song Licensing is a huge fan of Space Quest and King's Quest and are quite fond of the soundtracks. Cool, huh?
    The Real Music

This is great news! Makes me all tingley! I get to use the real compositions after all.

I wish I had known ahead of time. But you savvy backers have come to the rescue!

Now excuse me while I go do the Happy Dance

Thanks

Music Pal out!

• Thanks for that info!

Does anyone know if Mark Siebert has had any involvement with game development in recent years? Have any of the fan or indie development teams been in touch with him at all?

I think it would be great to have comprehensive Sierra music soundtrack collection with all live recordings.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

you should definitely find the sierra music forums and demand they release that.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MusicallyInspired said: Also, he wasn't going to be doing straight rerecordings of his Sierra work because he said he approached ActiVision and they said that "they had their own plans" and he was going to do work inspired by it. However, he's discovered a means where he CAN use his original works. So that's exciting!

Wow, he managed to find a legal provision that allows him to make updated versions of his original Sierra songs! Definitely backed by me! The Space Quest music was a huge inspiration for me to get involved in composing. :D

Add Comment