User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 7.3K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Honestly, I would have preferred it more with them in it because they were replaced with a bunch of flat cardboard cutouts with no personality. Yeah, Will might have been annoying, but hey, at least I remember who he was. The only new character from On Stranger Tides that I can remember is Blackbeard and only because I knew who he was before I watched the movie.

I also felt that in that movie in addition to having all these new characters pop up, they then had nothing to do. They didn't further the plot at all. If they hadn't been present in the story or had been replaced by different characters, the plot would have rode merrily along because the only character who really had any influence over what was happening was Jack Sparrow.

What kills me, though, is that the way the script seemed to be written, the main character should have been Barbossa. He had the most interesting character arc even though that mostly happened off screen. They didn't even show it, he just mentioned losing the Black Pearl to Blackbeard in that one brief little scene. In the theater I just sat there wishing that we had that as a movie instead. I mean, his character underwent a huge shift from the end of AWE and they totally just brushed over it and went back to Jack Sparrow doing stuff.

• @Alcoremortis said: What kills me, though, is that the way the script seemed to be written, the main character should have been Barbossa. He had the most interesting character arc even though that mostly happened off screen. They didn't even show it, he just mentioned losing the Black Pearl to Blackbeard in that one brief little scene. In the theater I just sat there wishing that we had that as a movie instead. I mean, his character underwent a huge shift from the end of AWE and they totally just brushed over it and went back to Jack Sparrow doing stuff.

This I agree with, I would've loved to see the stuff with Barbossa. Would've been neat.

• Rumor has it Disney is trying to find a way to insert a Mickey-like alien into the next movies.

• "Jack Sparrow Doing Stuff" is pretty much the plot synopsis for the entire post-Pearl Pirates franchise.

• At least DMC and AWE had bits of "Will doing stuff", "Elizabeth doing stuff", and "Pintel and Ragetti doing stuff" to sew it together. Maybe I have a high Sparrow tolerance, but it only really started getting to me in Stranger Tides.

• Too much Sparrow? No such thing!
    On stranger tides was the second best movie in the series right after the original. The other two movies suffered from too much Will and Elizabeth and too little Sparrow (although I liked these movies too).

Will and Elizabeth were replaced by Angelica who did a fantastic job at pulling Sparrow by the nose, getting him into trouble and contrasting him.

This was really a dream come true since by the third movie I really wished Will and Elizabeth would disappear from the franchise, it was getting too serious with them.

• @Alcoremortis said: At least DMC and AWE had bits of "Will doing stuff", "Elizabeth doing stuff", and "Pintel and Ragetti doing stuff" to sew it together. Maybe I have a high Sparrow tolerance, but it only really started getting to me in Stranger Tides.

Sparrow is not a main character, that's the problem. He's a character, but there's no reason to invest in him as a protagonist, which makes the movies have no gravity, which makes them less enjoyable. At least the characters of Will and Elizabeth add weight and consequence to the film.

• The Pirates series went off the rails once it started taking itself too seriously. Now you might say...but Fawful....the movies went off the rails because it didn't take Captain Jack seriously and made him a buffoon. No, it's not the same thing. The first Pirates movie was tongue in cheek continuously with every character. Jack was just the most mysterious and interesting character, but he wasn't ten million times moreso than Will or Elizabeth. That's why the friendship between Jack and Will was so strong there...because they were almost on equal footing as interesting characters. Part of the likeablity of William Turner was that he could be a bit of a buffoon at times too. Jack and Will were both buffoons at times, and just as clever at others. Elizabeth was also clever in the first movie, and her comedy came not from gags or buffoonery but from the contrast between herself and the pirates she was stuck around. The villains were completely tongue in cheek. Suddenly DMC was super-serious because sequels need to be DARK and GRIM, and that just wasn't a good fit. The ending of DMC worked so well in spite of the movie because it was one of the first times the movie allowed itself to be tongue in cheek again. Any time the movie allowed that it was better. Jack going into the mouth of the Kraken and Barbossa coming back were both insanely cheesy, tongue in cheek moments of badassery. AWE barely EVER allowed for that, and it was also poorly written. It did a good job of removing every badass element in its characters ever.

• I do remember that one of the biggest laughs I had in the first movie was Will with that damn wall sconce right at the beginning. Seriously, I started choking, I was laughing so hard. It's because I wasn't expecting it. They advertised the movie as hardcore action with a bit of drama and then pulled that shit out. The surprise made it glorious.

A lot of the humor in the next two movies tried too hard, the straight characters became straighter and the silly characters became sillier, but there were still always elements that I enjoyed. I liked Elizabeth and Barbossa, I liked Norrington, I liked Beckett, I liked Davy Jones... I liked the weird fish people because nobody ever uses weird fish people in movies.

And in Stranger Tides, they got rid of most of the characters I liked, failed to replace them with characters I could learn to like, refused to tell me anything about those characters, and trivialized the plot. I mean, we go from AWE, where there is a very real threat that every character that we've grown to like will end up swinging from a yardarm, to Stranger Tides, where the biggest threat is that someone else will become immortal first (or, I suppose, that minor characters with little screen time will die, but we barely even know who they are let alone feel any attachment to them). The drama was gone, the humor was gone, the characters were gone... it was a very empty movie and it made the little irritating things that I didn't mind so much in the previous movies really stand out.

• Poor Norrington....the most underrated Pirates character...

Add Comment