User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 42.3K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: 536915_426831567386671_644511041_n.jpg

But UNIT isn't a top secret orginization! It's essentially just a more military-oriented version of the United Nations (hence the name).

Torchwood, on the other hand, is a name so drenched in secret it took Doctor Who 13 whole weeks to learn what it truly was. And they also drive around in a big van that says "TORCHWOOD" on the side.

• Ooh, apparently Big Finish are announcing a range this Wednesday called "the Early Years", with one of the releases featuring Peter Purves and Jean Marsh as their respective companions. What could it mean?

• Y'know, you've really got to start citing all your Big Finish news!

(Hmm... "The Early Years" was the title of the B7 audio series chronicling adventures of the characters before "Blake's 7". Could it be something similar? I gather "Return of the Rocket Men" is partly set in Steven's past, and of course Sara Kingdom had lots of adventures with Daleks and whatnot. Certainly more mileage than some of the other companions for prequel adventures - marvel! as Perpugilliam Brown looks at plants! thrill! to the sounds of Victoria Waterfield running her father's household!)

• @FitzoliverJ said: Y'know, you've really got to start citing all your Big Finish news!

(Hmm... "The Early Years" was the title of the B7 audio series chronicling adventures of the characters before "Blake's 7". Could it be something similar? I gather "Return of the Rocket Men" is partly set in Steven's past, and of course Sara Kingdom had lots of adventures with Daleks and whatnot. Certainly more mileage than some of the other companions for prequel adventures - marvel! as Perpugilliam Brown looks at plants! thrill! to the sounds of Victoria Waterfield running her father's household!)

Peter Purves and Jean Marsh did a panel on stage at a convention together, and said it. They also said they'd be doing it together, so it seems more likely it'll be original stories done in the format of the First Doctor Lost Stories (meaning third-person Companion Chronicles that are 2 or 3 hours long).

It's nice to see Jean Marsh is returning to work though, her stroke a year and a half ago was really quite sad as she's someone I like from a number of non-Doctor Who things as well.

• I'll be interested to see what they do for the 9th Doctor in that format. I would say Noel Clark, but...

• @Darth Marsden said: I'll be interested to see what they do for the 9th Doctor in that format. I would say Noel Clark, but...

Given Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston would sooner drop dead then return, John Barrowman seems the safe bet, especially as AudioGo have worked with him in the past and may be able to pull the strings on behalf of Big Finish. Noel Clarke is pretty likely too, though he might be a bit "I don't need Doctor Who, I'm in Star Trek now!". Similarly, Big Finish has worked with Arthur Darvill so he's rather likely for it, but fun-fact they almost cast Matt Smith to play a companion one time so there's a chance they'd be able to bring him in too.

• Hmm. You're probably right with Barrowman. No-one else they can really go with, is there?

Also slightly curious about Tennant's Doctor. Freema maybe? Possibly Catherine?

Add Comment