User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 9.9K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My favorite Pirates characters were Pintel and Ragetti, and Murtogg and Mullroy

• I'm a Barbossa fan. I think he had the most interesting story that was never told. Why did he mutiny? We never know. How did he come back from the dead? Magic! How did he manage to go from being the most-feared pirate in the Caribbean to a respectable privateer? It all happens off-screen.

Though, I'll say, I really noticed the loss of Pintel and Ragetti in Stranger Tides. They were great simply in how opportunistic they were.

• @Alcoremortis said: I'm a Barbossa fan. I think he had the most interesting story that was never told. Why did he mutiny? We never know. How did he come back from the dead? Magic! How did he manage to go from being the most-feared pirate in the Caribbean to a respectable privateer? It all happens off-screen.

Though, I'll say, I really noticed the loss of Pintel and Ragetti in Stranger Tides. They were great simply in how opportunistic they were.

Completely with you. I was always a bigger Barbossa fan than Sparrow fan. He actually comes off as more of a rounded character than Jack. And I COMPLETELY AGREE that his story of facing off with Blackbeard needed to have been the real story.

• Okay, after reading what Secret Fawful said, I now definitely want to see Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret of Monkey Island happen.

With vending machine and rubber chicken pulley.

• I had a dream last night about Star Wars episode eight. The stakes were insanely high....higher than they ever have been on any Star Wars movie. It actually resembled Doctor Who in my dream in how well it kept you guessing if characters would live or die.

One instance had Hans Jedi son and an aged wise Chewy held down in a grid by a seasoned sniper, and the guy and Chewy ran out of ammo. Another part had Han searching for Luke's daughter at a giant space junkyard, filled with remnants of past empire ships, including parts of the second death star. He soon came to realize it was occupied by a faction of empire remnants from the old days ala Japanese remnants on islands after world war 2.

There was a big fight that involved Indian-style tactics among the corridors of junk. The space junkyard was in space and not on a planet by the way.

Han finally found Luke's daughter on a swamp world devoid of a sun or natural light.

Also Palpatine was alive.

The dream merged into one where I was telling dad about the movie, and we were eventually massacred by an insane cult.

• You know...I'd pay to see it. It'd spit in the face of every author and fan who have crafted the expanded universe, but by god it'd be more entertaining than the prequels. I think the winner there is having HAN as the protagonist rather than perfect Jedi Master Skywalker.

• One of my biggest issues with the Pirates movies after Black Pearl is just how ridiculous they all got.

I mean, in the first one, all your suspension of disbelief really had to put up with was cursed pirate treasure. Plus in that movie, pirates were actually pirates, in that they were bad guys.

And then suddenly the pirates are good guys, and Will and Elizabeth are pirates now (???) and there's Davy Jones, and a kraken, and a sea goddess, and returning from the dead, and a council of pirate lords (???) and somehow piracy now is actually just fighting for freedom against the evil British Navy.

Yeah. Ok.

• Actually, pirates are still bad in later films, our views of what is good has only been shifted.

• Weren't we originally Discussing Star Wars or Something? When did this turn into the "Pirates of the Caribbean Thread"?

• @StrongBrush1 said: Weren't we originally Discussing Star Wars or Something? When did this turn into the "Pirates of the Caribbean Thread"?

To answer your question..

@StrongBrush1 said: Pirates of the Caribbean 5: The Secret of Monkey Island

I actually wouldn't mind that if they put a decent writer on it

That post.

Add Comment