User Avatar Image

how old are you?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 4.7K users

I'm curious to know how old everyone here was when you started playing adventure games. (And, how old are you now?) I have a hunch that many of the people who post here started with LucasArts games, but I'm curious to find out if that's really true.

Me, I started at around age 10 (I'm now 28). The first game I played was Leisure Suit Larry 1. :)) After that I moved on to King's Quest games. I never even heard of LucasArts until years later (2001 or so) when I started posting on forums. Not sure how I missed those games, because I used to go into software stores all the time to buy Sierra games, but it could be that I was so focused on Sierra that I never looked at what else was on the shelf. [:">]

How about you?

430 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote]*sigh* Okay, 36.[/quote]

Yay! - Makes me feel young :p[/quote]
    Pfft! A four-year difference! Not exactly what I'd call a generational divide! ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I started playing advanture games as soon as i could see the world around me... (when i was 6 months old -> i had an eye condition that required surgery etc... but that's not the point)... so... can anyone beat that? oh, and now i'm 16 :D and a few days ago finished phasant year at computer's high! LOL... watch your back, telltale... a new compy *ahem ahem ahem* ""genius"" is rising!! :D:D

Matt...

• I learned DOS by waiting for my dad at his job. Searching through the work-computer for games. "what files can i try?" "anything that ends with .com or .exe". I literally tried every com/exe file. My search bore fruits though, I found that cat game which i don't remember the name of, the one where you catch the babies from burning houses, and "Adventure", which I didn't like, mostly from the fact that I didn't speak english. I have no idea how old i was, but probably 7-10.

Some years later I learned english with Sierra-games, the first one being Leisure Suit Larry. In retrospect, I guess that explains a thing or two.. (I'm 29 now). Also it boggles me how my parents could give me some of the words i asked about with a straight face. But I remember they didn't know what a prophylactic was, so I had to figure out that one by myself. Which was no small task. No google or bigtittedmamasitas.com those days.

• [quote]I learned DOS by waiting for my dad at his job. Searching through the work-computer for games. "what files can i try?" "anything that ends with .com or .exe". I literally tried every com/exe file. [/quote]

Haha... I did this too. :)) Discovered some Zork games that way!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Well, i think the first adventure game i played actually was sam & max: hit the road when i wa about 5 years old, i played with a friend, ofcourse we didn´t understand anything couse we are from sweden, but then later about 2-3 years ago, another friend to me, told me that sam & max 2 was cancelled, at that time i had forgot sam & max and just said, "hey, sam & max i recognise it, and i started google sam & max, and saw the pictures, then my memories came back, that was a wonderful moment! =)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Me, I started at around age 10 [...]. The first game I played was Leisure Suit Larry 1. :)) [/quote]

Same here! B-)
    I remember the advanced protection at the beginning of the game that would prevent younger players from playing it: a series of questions that only adults would know the answer to (which was always Alt x ;) -- don't know how we found out about that).

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Me, I started at around age 10 (I'm now 28).[/quote]

I would've taken you to be much younger, as seen in that one photo of you. And no, I'm not trying to be flirtatious! ;) But to get back on topic, I was also around 8y/o when I started. I'm 34 now. *Ouch*...I'm an old fogie here.

My first computer was a TRS-80(Tandy) Color Computer 2, known as CoCo2. We are talking the age of cassette tapes, program paks, and 5-1/4" disks. The first adventure game I played was probably Bedlam, which was a text adventure. I still have my CoCo2 & CoCo3 with all accessories and programs. I learned to program in BASIC, ASM and used OS/9 on this computer, and typed in hundreds of programs from a magazine called "the Rainbow".

But you probably want to know about my first PC adventure games. They were the Space Quest series and Ultima Underworld. I had a friend in my college dorm that bought a new 386DX, and he was responsible for getting me into PC gaming. Oh and can't forget some of my favorite "adventure-type" games... Lands of Lore, Kyrandia, Blade Runner, etc by Westwood Studios.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

i was 6 :D full throttle was the first i think, or sam and max cant remember
    im 16 now :P
    was good ol days back then, i cant wait for Sam and max to come out, bone was hilarious, ive only tried the first ep of bone though, gonna get bone ep 2 soon i think :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    My first computer was a TRS-80(Tandy) Color Computer 2, known as CoCo2. We are talking the age of cassette tapes, program paks, and 5-1/4" disks. The first adventure game I played was probably Bedlam, which was a text adventure. I still have my CoCo2 & CoCo3 with all accessories and programs. I learned to program in BASIC, ASM and used OS/9 on this computer, and typed in hundreds of programs from a magazine called "the Rainbow".
    [/quote]

Blimey! - I remember doing those back in the early eighties - We had a magazine called Computer & Video Games which used to have listings for Speccy & Commodore systems every month... I generally had no idea what the hell I was typing in - just followed the code as printed. Another in a long line of diversions I created to avoid learning any kind of social competence.... happy days :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote]
    Yay! - Makes me feel young :p[/quote]
    Pfft! A four-year difference! Not exactly what I'd call a generational divide! ;)[/quote]

Hey! - I'll take what I can get! :p

Add Comment