User Avatar Image

The Writing Thread

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Herein lies the Writing Thread! Usually I just post something brief and then allow the participants to engage one another, unshackled by rules like a meeting of Tea Partiers in a debate with Muslims.

However! I propose the following rules to the writing thread, and what this thread should be about.

1.) This thread should obviously be about your own writing.

Your post should be about one of the following things.
2.) A pitch. A story you're thinking about writing, ideas you're tossing around to solicit for feedback.

3.) Brief poetry can be posted in full. Just don't make your poetry a full length story.

4.) A short story you've written that you would like to post, in part. Since a short story can run 2000 to 5000 words, do not post in full. You may post sensible length excerpts, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

5.) A long story or novel you've written that you'd like to post, in part. Since a novel can run from 80000 words to 120000 words or more, do not post in full. You may post a sensible length excerpt, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

Things to avoid.
Don't get in a hissy fit about criticism. It's the only way to grow as a writer.

Don't just criticize to criticize. In other words, don't be a Debby Downer. List what you think a writer did well, in addition to criticism. Tone means a lot. Don't be overly negative in the tone of your criticism.

179 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, Guybrush Threepwood would be no match for him, anyhow.

• I guess it would be a bit like that, but it's not like he'd be able to heal naturally or anything. He'd have to, like, glue himself back together. And hammers would be his worst nightmare.

But yeah, he ever goes against Guybrush, I think we all know who's winning that one.

• Reminds me of that character in Amelie that doesn't leave his house and has padded everything up because his bones are so brittle.

• Glad to see this thread has made a resurgence.

After a five month hiatus of my novel after I finished college (my man writing time was on the bus to college, and work meant and still means I have little time for it), I tried to go back to it and found that I couldn't. The characters weren't that great, and everything felt a bit rushed, as a result of poor planning and wanting to go through everything too quickly.

So after 70 pages, I made the very painful decision to delete the whole thing and start afresh. I'm keeping the same title (The elementals) but I'm completely changing the core mechanics and storyline. It's now based on a sort of game my friends and I played as kids. We used to pretend we had powers. I had Ice, my friends had water, fire and electricity.

The book is aimed at people just finishing primary school and starting secondary. It's a kid who uncovers one of these powers and he and his friends have to find the rest to fight an ancient darkness that threatens the land. All whilst balancing school life.

I'm doing it properly this time. A detailed plan certainly helps a lot. Even so, I've. Decided already to rewrite the first chapter (It is intended to be a prelude, a back story to the origins of the powers, but I found that I was giving too much information , and making it seem that it WS the story. I'm going to swap to that chapter being narrated, and made a lot less detailed.)

My original novel idea isn't gone forever. I'm still toying with the idea of writing some sort of doctor who fan-fiction around it. It would convert nicely, I think.

• @Avistew said: Reminds me of that character in Amelie that doesn't leave his house and has padded everything up because his bones are so brittle.

Yeah, it would be something like that. Though from playing with porcelain dolls, it's not a completely fragile substance. You don't want to smash it against something, but it can take a little punishment, especially if it's thick. But being dropped or any great force would be a bad thing to have happen.

• @Friar said: Glad to see this thread has made a resurgence.

After a five month hiatus of my novel after I finished college (my man writing time was on the bus to college, and work meant and still means I have little time for it), I tried to go back to it and found that I couldn't. The characters weren't that great, and everything felt a bit rushed, as a result of poor planning and wanting to go through everything too quickly.

So after 70 pages, I made the very painful decision to delete the whole thing and start afresh. I'm keeping the same title (The elementals) but I'm completely changing the core mechanics and storyline. It's now based on a sort of game my friends and I played as kids. We used to pretend we had powers. I had Ice, my friends had water, fire and electricity.

The book is aimed at people just finishing primary school and starting secondary. It's a kid who uncovers one of these powers and he and his friends have to find the rest to fight an ancient darkness that threatens the land. All whilst balancing school life.

I'm doing it properly this time. A detailed plan certainly helps a lot. Even so, I've. Decided already to rewrite the first chapter (It is intended to be a prelude, a back story to the origins of the powers, but I found that I was giving too much information , and making it seem that it WS the story. I'm going to swap to that chapter being narrated, and made a lot less detailed.)

My original novel idea isn't gone forever. I'm still toying with the idea of writing some sort of doctor who fan-fiction around it. It would convert nicely, I think.

Too long a break really hurts your ability to keep up with continuity of your Story, so sometimes it hurts it to leave it for too long.

• Unless you're autistic / have Aspergers like me :D

• I still remember all the plots, characters, settings, and motivations of every book I've never written.

I think it really depends on how much of yourself you put into it. For myself, whenever I come up with an idea for a story, I can't stop thinking about it for weeks, sometimes months, or even years. Sure I can do other things since I'm a decent multitasker, but it's always at the back of my mind, sometimes several at once. When you spend that amount of time thinking about something, you don't forget it easily.

• Reposting my pitch for feedback. Adequate, not adequate, at delivering the overall plot in a few sentences?

"I'm looking for maps of worlds that don't exist."
    Maxwell Douglas was a dreamer, an underachieving high school student who preferred to focus on his art and fiction writing. It wasn't until an laboratory accident left him capable of opening a portal to another world, simply by looking at a map drawn from an old fantasy book, that he was able to live out the adventures he'd only read about. Aided by the science of his best friend Heidi, and the protection of a blue fire wielding princess named Katherine, he embarks on an epic sea voyage to arouse an ancient alliance of dragons. Armed with the blades of knights and the fantastic weapons created by the science of his own world, Max and his friends hope to drive back an awakened sorcerer whose ties to the dragons seem to reach beyond the borders of the dimensions. Along the way, he learns that war is far more terrible than anything he has read of in books, and that the greatest weapon he possesses is the affection he has for his friends.

• Affection for your friends doesn't sound like a very good weapon. Unless it's a verbal one ("I love my friends more than you!").

Now I'm just remembering the comic where the heroine's primary attack was kissing her demon buddy to give the demon superpowers for a limited time. So I guess that could work.

As for the science, is it just "science!" or would they be in a specific field? I'd suggest something with big machines (but not an electron microscope because it lacks star potential. But a diffractometer looks like a ray gun and has a cool name)

Add Comment