User Avatar Image

how old are you?

posted by Emily on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

I'm curious to know how old everyone here was when you started playing adventure games. (And, how old are you now?) I have a hunch that many of the people who post here started with LucasArts games, but I'm curious to find out if that's really true.

Me, I started at around age 10 (I'm now 28). The first game I played was Leisure Suit Larry 1. :)) After that I moved on to King's Quest games. I never even heard of LucasArts until years later (2001 or so) when I started posting on forums. Not sure how I missed those games, because I used to go into software stores all the time to buy Sierra games, but it could be that I was so focused on Sierra that I never looked at what else was on the shelf. [:">]

How about you?

430 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Not exactly an adventure game, but the first game with adventure elements I played was Alone in the Dark, which came free with the first PC we bought at home (I was about 14 years old). It was the first game that really absorbed me, making me stay up until late and scary hours.

Then, I bought the Lucasarts Archives Vol. I, which included Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis, among others (what a collection, now that I think!), finishing to turn me into a fan of the genre.

I'm 28 now. Like others have said, I also didn't speak english at the time, but much of the english I know now, I thank it to the adventure games I played in my youth.

• Well, I was 6 years old (I'm 22 now),
    my cousin had his super 286 while I was still stuck with my good old C64.
    It was Indy and the last crusade, I remember it well, it was love at first sight!
    There was a REAL story to lead everything, and the characters even talked to each other!
    I had never seen some like that before, I didn't know Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken for C64.
    It was the first half of 1990, and some months later my cousin told me: "Hey, got to show you a game better than Indy3!". My answer was "No way, that's just not possible! What's its name?". "The secret of Monkey Island.".
    I'll let you figure out the rest ;)
    That's how I became a proud supporter of graphic adventures.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Wow, it's been not all that long. I guess I've been playing adventure games for a while, had Hugo's House of Horrors years ago, but I didn't really pursue or appreciate them as a genre until I was about sixteen, I suppose. I'm turning nineteen in a couple of days, so yeah, I'm a n00b to the genre. It's quickly become my favorite genre, though I'd like to make several changes to how the formula works. Too many game designers change in such a way that loses the spirit of the old games, and too many leave alone a formula that could use a lot of improving.

Then again, what would a n00b know? ;)

Oh, and sorry for taking over the forum like this. I'm kinda used to a much faster pace.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I started when I was three. Beat that! [\:D/]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

about 6, and I'm 17 now. i played sam & max a lot during my formative years. because of it, from kindegarten to 10th grade all i wanted to do was make video games, but my interests kind of fell elsewhere after that.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

First adventure game I remember playing was "The Never Ending Story" on the Amiga.

That would have been back in about 1984, so I would have been about 7.

(For those of you who are slow at maths, that makes me 29 :D )

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I started when I was three. Beat that! [\:D/][/quote]

I started when I was a fetus - Everybody loved the fetal gamer!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

13, Maniac Mansion was my first one on the Commodore 64. I pretty much quit playing when Lucas Arts quit making them. Out of all the Adventure Games I've played only Lucas Arts was ever able to make me laugh.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Let's see...first game I played was on the Commodore 64, it was that one with the mystery on the riverboat (no idea what the name of the game was), and I must have been ten or eleven, I think. First one I finished was probably either Myst or Connections, and I must have been twelve or thirteen (back in '96 or '97). Now I'm twenty-three.

I guess I started to seriously get into video games with Riven. On one of the Riven disks there was a demo for Journeyman Project III, then I got Beyond Atlantis for Christmas (I can remember the sequence, just not the dates). I played Curse of Monkey Island, Escape, and Grim Fandango in high school, but never played MI 1 or 2 until my junior year of college.

And that's officially more information than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

yeah maniac mansion was pretty cool...but i think my first pc adventure game was swiss family robinson on the commador (age 6)...then freenet came into existence...then eco quest...every kings quest... wolfenstein(age 10)...dust myst so on

arghhhhhh !!! and now i am 20

Add Comment