User Avatar Image

Purgatory Theory (Spoilers)

posted by worriedscarecrow on - last edited - Viewed by 527 users

I was challenged once to prove that it was possible to critically analyse a video game based on thematic and aesthetic elements. So I basically wanted to share my essay in a video format and encourage discussion on a 'fan theory' I devised.

If your interested in check out my idea, here's the video (contains HEAVY SPOILERS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzq0w4Z4ThU

Bare in mind I've never made a video like this before but I was hoping to start analysing video games and The Walking Dead game inspired me to create theories.

But this is by no means what the developers intended nor is it me attempting to say this is what it's about. I'm instead presenting an alternative way to view the game's narrative. As a result, I hope to see if people who replay the game can add to the 'purgatory theory' - the notion that Lee Everett never left the crash site and instead only exists to guide Clementine towards a future in the post-pandemic world.

I know the idea is quite abstract, but bare in mind it's a personal and quirky way of looking at storytelling in video games.

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
Add Comment