User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 7.3K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If I recall correctly, the same edit also changes Vader's dialogue after he's 'reborn' so that he no longer cares about Padme - "that name no longer has any meaning to me", I think the new line was.

It's a hell of an interesting change.

• @Darth Marsden said: If I recall correctly, the same edit also changes Vader's dialogue after he's 'reborn' so that he no longer cares about Padme - "that name no longer has any meaning to me", I think the new line was.

Not true. I've seen Q2's, L8wrtr's, and Stankpac's Episode III fanedits, and none of those have that. I'm not sure which one does.

There are three major changes to the story with Q2's prequel fanedits:

1) Padme doesn't die by the end of Episode III.
    Luke: "Do you remember your mother?"
    Leia:"Just a little bit. She died when I was very young."
    Luke:"What do you remember?"
    Leia:"She was...very beautiful, kind but...sad."

2) The name "Darth Vader" is never mentioned in the prequels, and you never see Anakin being put in the suit.
    So, if you have never seen Star Wars, and watch Episodes 1-6 in chronological order using these fanedits, Vader revealing himself to be Anakin in Empire Strikes Back remains a surprise. (This answers the question about his dialogue after being "reborn," because he's never shown again after Obi-Wan leaves him for dead on Mustafar.)

3) C-3PO and R2D2 are removed as much as possible from the prequels.
    This actually does help the story... much more than I thought it might. You do see them once in a very great while, but they have no dialogue and it's not made clear that it's actually them.

Also, Anakin isn't whiny; he and Obi-Wan get along somewhat better; and Anakin and Padme's love story is much more believable.

(Jar-Jar is heavily edited out, as well as mention of "midichlorians", but those are a given)

-----

I'll go over problems I have with other Star Wars prequel fanedits:

The Phantom Edit and Attack of the Phantom (eps. 1&2) by The Phantom Editor:
    - not enough cuts to Jar Jar or Jake Lloyd (young Anakin)
    - overall story doesn't improve
    - opening crawl is a note from the fan editor instead of a story prologue (which is a deal breaker).

Shadow of the Sith and Dawn of the Empire (eps. 1&3) by L8wrtr (though his ep. 2 is fantastic)
    - Often when dialogue is removed (such as "yippee" or "oops" in ep 1) the scene is not tightened to keep it from being obvious that such was done.
    - Palpatine suddenly reveals his "sith form" (I mean that he appears normal, we cut to Mace Windu getting his arm sliced off, then back to Palpatine whose face has inexplicably changed). You have to listen to the faneditor's DVD commentary to understand why, which is bad for the story.
    - Yoda is approached by stormtroopers after Order 66 is given, we cut away to somewhere else, and then later we come back to Yoda who is safe (and with Chewbacca :rolleyes: ) just before leaving Kashyyk. The reasoning for this is because L8wrtr didn't want Yoda ever have to use his lightsaber, but this creates another WTF moment.

Revenge of the Sith: Special Edition by Stankpac
    - standalone fanedit. doesn't match up properly in some ways with L8wrtr's or Q2's Episode 2 fanedits.
    - v1-v2 has a stupid, anachronistic, breakdancing-Yoda DVD menu.
    - v3 has a better DVD menu (albeit quite amateur-looking), and has Palpatine reveal his "sith form" similar to L8wrtr, though with added heartbeat and thunderclap sound effects as well as added shadow visual effects to make it a bit better. These effects are poorly done, however.
    - Stankpac's faneditor logo at the beginning of the movie has a half-naked woman on it. My wife doesn't think it appropriate, and neither would my young nephews' parents had they seen it.

v1 of Stankpac's edit used to be my favorite Ep.3 (after being encoded to .m4v by Handbrake to remove the dumb DVD menu) but it doesn't fit well with the Episode 1 and 2 edits I've been looking at.

L8wrtr's edit of Episode 2 (The Republic Divided) is probably still my favorite Ep. 2 edit (though Q2's is still great and not to be overlooked) simply because I like what he does with the love story slightly better.

• Hm. While some of that sounds good, I just don't like the idea of Threepio and Artoo being thrown out. They were always meant to be through both trilogies, and you can bet that they'll both be in the new ones too.

• It sounds dumb and unnecessary to have them out. In fact, I think the fact that they aren't (overtly) in it was what made me not want to download it at first.

They are there, just not often and they have no speaking parts. Believe me when I say I don't hate the droids, but it really does work for the prequels' benefit for them not to be in it. It just works. It sounds absurd to suggest for it to be done, and it made me skeptical about the edits at first when I was looking for edits to download, but it really does improve the movies because more attention is given to the story.

I love R2 and 3PO in the OT. They're part of the humor that makes it fun. But 3PO in the prequels is really just annoying, and R2 has rocket jets on his legs.

• GUYS SHUT UP.

Guys.

Guys.

GUYS.

OBSIDIAN IS PITCHING A NEW STAR WARS GAME.

!!!

!!!

!!!

!!!

!!!

!!!

!!!

NOTHING ELSE GOING ON WITH THE STAR WARS LICENSE IS ANYWHERE NEAR THIS IMPORTANT.

• Shut it down, Disney. Don't let them get their bug-infested claws on it.

(Don't really do that, Disney)

• Gah, can't they finish the two OTHER big games they're working on first?

(I do totally want this, I just want my South Park RPG first!)

• @Chyron8472 said: I love R2 and 3PO in the OT. They're part of the humor that makes it fun. But 3PO in the prequels is really just annoying, and R2 has rocket jets on his legs.

I agree with this. The droids didn't hurt the prequels, but the prequels hurt the droids. Their appearances range from "that doesn't make sense" to actively ruining the appeal of the characters. So this edit sounds interesting

• Why should C3PO and R2D2 be in the prequels? It was pandering fan service and nothing more. It does nothing to legitimately serve the story or the mythology. It's nonsense.

• @JuntMonkey said: Why should C3PO and R2D2 be in the prequels? It was pandering fan service and nothing more. It does nothing to legitimately serve the story or the mythology. It's nonsense.

Okay. Let's be perfectly freaking honest here. THE ENTIRE PREQUEL TRILOGY WAS PANDERING FAN SERVICE. Seriously. They were totally unnecessary to the continuation of the Star Wars name. And for that matter, so are the books, video games, comic books, card games, cartoons, ad nauseum. They're completely unnecessary and each addition has the potential to screw things up, no matter how good they are.

Add Comment